Install probs

9 posts
by olddogsnewtricks » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:05 pm
Hi
So I've got my new RasPi and works fine but when I tried to install Gimp it wouldn't install, I got a 404 error. Also tried downloading a mail client which seemed to download but I just couldn't find it anywhere, I shut down and rebooted but still couldn't find it.

Also, I had an SD Card which works fine and boots the os on and earlier 250ram Pi but won't boot on my new 500ram Pi. Any ideas?

I'm new to this so be gentle!
by KenMacD » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:02 pm
I haven't tried Gimp yet, but which email program did you install?
by olddogsnewtricks » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:18 pm
Hi
It was Getmail that downloaded but disappeared.
I've also recently bought the 500ram Pi but my existing os/sd-card, from my 250P, wouldn't work at all!
Any ideas on that.

Many thanks
by KenMacD » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:44 pm
Well it looks like getmail is a program to download remote mail onto the local machine. It doesn't have a UI, so if you were looking to use it to read email it might not be the right program. The thread http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7814 recommends claws-mail, although I'm sure there's other options.

I'm not sure why your card from an old Pi wouldn't work on the 512 version. Does it show anything at all? You could try mounting it on your desktop computer and replacing the firmware files with the ones located at https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot. You probably need bootcode.bin, start.elf, and kernel.img. If you have custom config.txt options you could try removing them also.
by olddogsnewtricks » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:30 pm
Hi
Tried Claws-mail but that error 404 too.

However, have just installed Stellarium (astronomy) and that has installed ok. (painfully slow though, infact unusable.

Regards
Olddog
by ghans » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:32 pm
1) Do you use a preloaded card ?
2) Did you do a apt-get update ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by sdjf » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:50 am
About the 404 for gimp, I have found that sometimes if you try to get a package at the same time it is getting updated, the old one will be gone and you have to try again for the new one. May not be the case in this instance, but I have had that happen.
FORUM TIP: To view just one person's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then click on "Search User's Posts." || This Pi owner is running Arch on 512MB Model B.
by olddogsnewtricks » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:03 am
Thanks for that. I'll try get-apt update first to see what happens.
Also, thought I'd add, about the sd card not working on the 512, that it works ok when run back on the old lower ram Pi.

Kindest Regards
Olddog
(it's painful but at least it's free!)
by neandergeek » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:55 am
olddogsnewtricks wrote:Hi
Tried Claws-mail but that error 404 too.

However, have just installed Stellarium (astronomy) and that has installed ok. (painfully slow though, infact unusable.

Regards
Olddog

Try installing Kstars. It's fairly usable on the Raspberry Pi. I used it as my primary chart/sky atlas to observer 94 Messier objects in early March for my Messier Marathon attempt (I used the Sky and Telescope and some printed charts on freely available PDFs about a quarter of the time).

Kstars pegs the CPU at 100% but about 2/3s of that load is Xorg since it is trying to update the display once a second that means that zoom in, zoom out, and dragging the display to a new part of the sky is nearly instant unlike Stellarium (where about 80% of the cpu load is Stellarium). The one thing that is a little slow in Kstars is the "Find Object" dialog box. Since the program is creating a box with a scroll window containing every named object, depending on how large the kstars window is, it takes 6-10 seconds after you select it in the menu or press the keyboard shortcut before you can type the name of an object in the entry field. Once you hit return showing the object is nearly instant if you have turned off "animated slewing" in the configuration menu otherwise it takes 3-4 seconds to slew the display to the object. I find the wait for the find object at the tolerable end of annoying and overall the program to be very usable.

I've posted on the Kstars developers mailing list about using Kstars on the Raspberry Pi and one of the maintainers is interested in using a Raspberry Pi, but he is currently focused on resolving some star catalog data issues so there is no guarantee when he would get to performance tweaking for the Pi.

Regards,
Richard