Will 2013 be big improovement time for RPi

5 posts
by kibr3 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:41 am
Hi everyone,
I would say that I'm real fan of RPi and doing several projects on it. But, as I read here in other topics it is not much improvement planned for coming year. Release B with 512Mb is good enough for many things, but I can see in the market other hardware devices with compatible price and bigger functionality.
For example Google TV player BOX has Cortex-A8 1.5G Hz, 1GB RAM, HDMI, WiFI, USB.
They are surely not directed to Open Community as RPi and "closed" devices, but RPi producers should feel some competitors on their back.
It's time to move forward.
by malakai » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:13 am
Your mixing devices the Pi capable of being a media player is not developed or marketed towards being a media player. XBMC builds while available are not maintained or even available for download from the foundation. It's an open source device for education as such it doesn't really have any competition there are some similar devices but they lack the community to support usage in education they are mostly for profit devices considering the intent was to hopefully sale in the tens of thousands and over a million devices have been purchased it seems to be working quite well as it is. You could argue the Pi is competition for Google TV devices they are not competition for the Pi
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by kibr3 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:17 am
Hi malakai!
I talk about Google Box not because it is competitor of RPi , neither RPi competitor of Google Box despite of XBMC. The question more about hardware. Is it possible to make RPi with more improved features with the same price, or we have got best possible PRi?
Both devices are mass produced hence both of them are matter of business and marketing. Surely Raspberry Pi now more than just "device for education ". There are so many professionals working on it now.
by malakai » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:32 am
For now it is about as good as it gets. As chip prices get cheaper and eventually that is always possible yes the Pi can see improvements Liz's posts indicate there will be very minor trivial improvements to come beyond that it really is just a wait and see. At it's price point I can't fathom any way that it will ever be current meaning there will always be devices with faster processors more memory better features but they will cost about 2 to 3 times more than the Pi. The greatest benefit I await is optimizing the OS and getting more OS's like maybe Android or something like that.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by ghans » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:04 am
kibr3 ,
you should conduct a forum search. This has been discussed many times ,
and the foundation have gone great lengths to explain their position. Last time
was only some days ago , if i remember, and this forum has been there since
the end of 2011.
A Google site-specific search might reveal better results.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org