Iridium Rising

Moderators: DrPiD, Pankoi

38 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by rockhawk » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:12 pm
Hi all,

I hope people have managed to have a go at our game, Iridium Rising. We'd really like to know what you think about the game, so please reply with your comments!

Unfortunately I'm already away from home for Christmas, so I haven't been able to log in and see people in game yet, but I've been watching the stats on the servers and can see people logging in and giving it a go. One thing that might be nice to organise here is specific times to get a group of people to log on together to try the missions.

If you want to find out a bit more about the game, have a look at our website. Full instructions are on that site, or in game press "i" to bring them up.

We do plan to continue adding features to Iridium Rising in the New Year, so let us know what you'd like to see :)

Cheers,
Mike
Find Iridium Rising, our 3D space combat game, on the Pi Store!
by pygmy_giant » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:16 pm
Off-line single player mode for players who can't get their 3g dongle working :cry:
by Joegi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:36 pm
...I installed the game via the PiStore, launched it via the "launch"-button, but after reboot and start of the game I was not able to play, because my wireless keyboard wasn't recognised by the game!? Seems that the game uses it's own keyboard drivers, because normally my keyboard works fine with Raspbian! The thing is that also the ssh-server is not installed when the game starts so that I was not able to shut the Rpi down! After switching it off luckily there was no problem with corrupted data and the RPi was booting normally (and not starting "Iridium Rising" again)!
by tmftomh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:41 pm
Joegi wrote:...I installed the game via the PiStore, launched it via the "launch"-button, but I was not able to play, because my wireless keyboard wasn't recognised by the game!? Seems that the game uses it's own keyboard drivers, because normally my keyboard works fine with Raspbian! The thing is that also the ssh-server is not installed when the game starts so that I was not able to shut the Rpi down! After switching it off luckily there was no problem with corrupted data and the RPi was booting normally (and not starting "Iridium Rising" again)!

Use the command line before startx. First type:

cd /usr/local/bin/indiecity/InstalledApps/iridiumrising/Full

then type:

./IridiumRising

That should work.
by Joegi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:50 pm
tmftomh wrote:Use the command line before startx. First type:

cd /usr/local/bin/indiecity/InstalledApps/iridiumrising/Full

then type:

./IridiumRising

That should work.

...o.k., I'm able to start it from terminal now, but after the game starts I'm not able to use my keyboard anymore (but now I can reboot via ssh)! Tried it twice with the same result! Also disconnected and connected the keyboard after the game has started, but no effect!
by Joegi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:19 pm
...just tried it with a wired keyboard and now it works!

Nice graphics and really high frame rates (I only played on my own at the moment with nobody else present)!
by Mequa » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:10 pm
I blew someone up, then got blown up. Good times. :D

The graphics are very smooth and detailed.
by rockhawk » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:30 pm
Good to hear people are getting into the games and fighting :D

Joegi, sorry about the wireless keyboard issues - I'd like to get to the bottom of this, take a look at your PMs!

pygmy_giant, we're aware an offline "practice" mode would be a good thing to have - it's something we'd like to do but it's not as simple as it sounds because the game is designed around a client/server model. We should be able to bundle the server up to run on the Pi though.

I'm told there was an issue last night where all the rings to race through and AIs disappeared from the game - they should be back now and I've got some leads on why that might have happened to track down this evening. So if the game world was looking a bit empty when you tried, do give it another go :)
by Cold Waste » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:40 am
Just getting to grips with my Raspberry Pi that I got recently. Nice to see a store is up and running, I'll be downloading this game when I get home today. I'm interested in creating music for games and hopefully starting University next year to do a music production course. Just seen that Schism Tracker is up for download too so I'll be getting that as well.
by Mechduino » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:47 pm
Just tried it out last night, runs great and is quite fun. The one issue I ran into was that when I attempted to launch it from the store it just gave errors about permissions which makes me think that the launch script(or whatever method you used to launch it) needs to be root, is this just me having this problem?
Bluebian, the better Raspbian, okay maybe worse, well...definitely worse.
by rockhawk » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:24 pm
Mechduino wrote:The one issue I ran into was that when I attempted to launch it from the store it just gave errors about permissions which makes me think that the launch script(or whatever method you used to launch it) needs to be root, is this just me having this problem?

What problem exactly did you have - just a warning dialogue or did it not launch at all?

The launch script is part of the Pi Store not Iridium Rising itself. It does some sort of sudo in order to do the reboot, which in the default Pi setup won't prompt for a password, but does bring up a warning dialogue first time it happens so you know what's going on - is that what you saw?
by StevenP » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:14 pm
I am having problems getting Iridium Rising to start. I tried both the Indie City auto reboot method and also command line at /usr/local/bin/indiecity/.... but all I get is:

Launching Iridium Rising
Version: beta

And that's it. No more messages, Pi seems to crash. I tried turning off overclocking but no difference to the above message and crash! My Pi is a 256MB Model B with latest Raspbian OS, 16 Dec 2012 (?).
My TV is 720p, via HDMI. Can that cause a problem?
Thanks for any tips!
by rockhawk » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:46 pm
StevenP wrote:I am having problems getting Iridium Rising to start. I tried both the Indie City auto reboot method and also command line at /usr/local/bin/indiecity/.... but all I get is:

Launching Iridium Rising

And that's it. No more messages, Pi seems to crash. I tried turning off overclocking but no difference to the above message and crash! My Pi is a 256MB Model B with latest Raspbian OS, 16 Dec 2012 (?).

Hi Steven,

Sorry you're having problems, I'm not sure what the problem might be. A 720p TV should work fine.

Please could you edit the .iridiumrising file in your home directory and set outputDebug to true. If there isn't a .iridiumrising file, then create one in your home directory with the contents:
{ "outputDebug": true }

Then the file iridium_rising_debug.log will be written to your home directory. Could you PM that to me and I'll see if that says anything useful.

Thanks,
Mike
by etothex » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:26 am
when I attempt to run Iridium Rising I receive an error:

line 15: [: -lt: unary operator expected

launching Iridium Rising
Version: beta1

* failed to open vchiq instance

We hope you enjoyed playing Iridium Rising

Just curious what is going on and if there is any solution?

Thank yoU!
by rockhawk » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:18 am
etothex wrote:line 15: [: -lt: unary operator expected

launching Iridium Rising

* failed to open vchiq instance

That line runs the command
Code: Select all
/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd version
Check if that works from the command line.

Are you running a recent Raspbian image? If not I'd suggest making sure you're fully up to date using raspi-config, and if that doesn't work downloading a try the newest image.

Good luck and Happy Christmas!
by Stoick » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:05 pm
On running game, I get the following:

Launching Iridium Rising

* failed to add service - already in use?

We hope you enjoyed playing Iridium Rising

I have enabled the log file; it gets created zero size.

Any ideas?
by rockhawk » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:24 pm
Hi Stoick,

I've never seen that "failed to add service" error before. Maybe something is already using the GPU? Are you trying to run it from within X?

Do you get the same error if you launch it from the Pi Store? (Press Ctrl-Alt-F8 to see the terminal the game was launched on, Alt-F1 to go back to the terminal or Alt-F7 to go back to X).
by Stoick » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:46 pm
Thanks Rockhawk

No not trying to run within X. Get same error from Pi Store or terminal. Key toggles did not show any more significant info.

However - I have realised that my OS image is 1 behind the times, though kept up to date with update/upgrade. It also has a lot of software installed. I have created a new image on a spare SD card and your game runs fine. Now I just need to re-install all the other software and copy over data as the pi is in frequent use as a secondary desktop...
by StevenP » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:13 pm
I think I know what the problem was. For the TV I had set overscan on in config.txt. I think Iridium was unhappy with that. I tried a normal monitor and then turned overscan off then all was OK. Well except for no analogue sound - I leave that for another day!!
Very smooth gameplay by the way!
Steven

rockhawk wrote:
StevenP wrote:I am having problems getting Iridium Rising to start. I tried both the Indie City auto reboot method and also command line at /usr/local/bin/indiecity/.... but all I get is:

Launching Iridium Rising

Hi Steven,

Sorry you're having problems, I'm not sure what the problem might be. A 720p TV should work fine.

Please could you edit the .iridiumrising file in your home directory and set outputDebug to true. If there isn't a .iridiumrising file, then create one in your home directory with the contents:
{ "outputDebug": true }

Then the file iridium_rising_debug.log will be written to your home directory. Could you PM that to me and I'll see if that says anything useful.

Thanks,
Mike
by Leo Rest » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:42 am
Should there be sound? I get silence. Wasn't sure as its still in beta.
I have a fresh OS image and the pi is connected to a tv by hdmi. Swapping sd to an xbmc image proves the hardware works.

Btw the graphics are amazing considering the hardware.

Also I would prefer the elite style flight controls e.g. roll rather than yaw. Perhaps implemented by choosing a different ship?
by RichMoly » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:41 pm
I'm using BerryBoot, so can't run Iridium Rising from the Pi Store (a re-boot just returns to BerryBoot). I've tried running from the command line, as mentioned above, but unfortunately that just gives error messages saying that I don't have permission to create 3 JPEG files and change 2 file permissions. As a Linux newbie, how do I set the permissions to write files (I can see how to change specific 'existing' file permissions e.g. http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/filepermissions.html, but not for everything)? Thanks for any info...
by RichMoly » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:16 pm
P.S. I'm signing in as 'pi' (as instructed), not 'root', and couldn't change the file access for the relevant directory/folder using the file manager either (still didn't have permission, as before).
by rockhawk » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:07 pm
Apologies for the slow reply to this - I've been busy with other things, but I got a chance to look at some Iridium Rising problems this weekend. We've made a couple of server fixes that will hopefully make the missions work more often, and keep the AI fighters in the melee up and running.

But most importantly, we've resolved the permissions issue various people have reported - it was due to a change in the way the Pi store installer worked. If you update or delete and reinstall Iridium Rising then it should now work.

Have fun!
by Leo Rest » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:22 am
Is there suposed to be sound? Hdmi connection. My xbmc image proves the hardware is ok.
by rockhawk » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:59 am
There isn't any sound right now. I'll add switching to roll instead of yaw control to the list too :-)