Cybot's motor driver

2 posts
by badook » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:54 pm
Hi, I'm quite new to electronics so forgive me for my ignorance...
I'd like to connect two dc motors to my rp using gpio. I know I need a motor driver and luckly I have an old Cybot laying around.
The Cybot's motor driver is the following: http://www.lpilsley.co.uk/cybot/driver.htm. The power for the motors comes from four AA batteries, and I think I'll power the raspberry with a portable usb battery pack.
Is it possible to use this board with the raspberry?
If so, how should it be wired?
Are additional components necessary?

Thanks!
by badook » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:56 pm
I'd also sent this question to Nige, the author of an article about Cybot and the Raspberry Pi. He explained me how to wire it up, and I'll repost the info here for anybody who needs it.
The motor driver has seven pins, the one closest from the two led is pin 1 and the one further away is pin 7.
    Pin 1 (orange wire) and Pin 2 control the left motor. They can be connected to any gpio's which have been set as output. (E.g. gpio P1-11 and P1-12)
    Pin 3 (blue wire) and Pin 4 control the right motor. They can be connected to any gpio's which have been set as output. (E.g. gpio P1-15 and P1-16)
    Pin 7 (black wire) should be connected to the Raspberry's ground (gpio P1-06)
Making the Raspberry Pi set gpio P1-11 and P1-15 output high, will drive both wheels forward, instead setting gpio P1-12 and P1-16 output high, will drive both wheels backwards.

BEWARE! setting both P1-11 and P1-12 OR P1-15 and P1-16 high, WILL FRY THE H-BRIDGE and break the motor driver!
If you want to be safe, you can ignore pin 2 and pin 4 altogether, like in the picture. The only limitation is that the motors will not be able to move backwards.