Raspberry Pi not booting up

8 posts
by gregp » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:58 pm
My Raspberry Pi has been running for weeks without any problems. All of a sudden this afternoon I couldn't log into it. I noticed that it wasn't running as I tried to log in through the serial port and this didn't work as it normally does.

I switched the power off and then on again in case it crashed for some reason. When I switched it on again, I noticed that the LED's were not flashing in their usual way. The pwr LED goes on but none of the other LED's light up.

I have removed all my external hardware and USB wifi module and this didn't help. I have also tried to reflash the SD card with 2012-10-28-wheezy-raspbian.img and 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian.img image. Both images didn't boot and I tried them on two SD cards that have worked previously.

I have also checked the SD card connector and it looks like the connections are being made. I have tried three different power supplies and two different USB cables which makes no change.

I am stuck as I don't know what else to check. If there are any other things that I can try any help would be greatly appreciated.

The sticker under the board shows the following. E2912RSV1.0B1.1

Thanks,
Greg
by drgeoff » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:40 pm
The only thing left for you to check is the voltage after the fuse F3. http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... r_problems but you'll need a reasonably accurate voltmeter.
by gregp » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:23 am
Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter with me. I have checked the Raspberry Pi schematic and as far as I can see F3 must be OK.

The PWR LED is connected to 3V3 which comes from 5V after the F3 fuse so this implies that F3 is OK.
by johnbeetem » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:50 pm
gregp wrote:Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter with me. I have checked the Raspberry Pi schematic and as far as I can see F3 must be OK.

The PWR LED is connected to 3V3 which comes from 5V after the F3 fuse so this implies that F3 is OK.

A red LED only needs 1.6-2.0V to light, so it's not a reliable way to tell whether F3 is misbehaving. F3 is a polyfuse, not a single-blow fuse. A polyfuse increases resistance rather than opening the circuit, so it can cause RasPi's 5V to droop to the point when it starts causing problems. A multimeter will tell you immediately if 5V is too low -- it's one of the most useful RasPi accessories.
by gregp » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:46 am
johnbeetem wrote:
gregp wrote:Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter with me. I have checked the Raspberry Pi schematic and as far as I can see F3 must be OK.

A red LED only needs 1.6-2.0V to light, so it's not a reliable way to tell whether F3 is misbehaving. F3 is a polyfuse, not a single-blow fuse. A polyfuse increases resistance rather than opening the circuit, so it can cause RasPi's 5V to droop to the point when it starts causing problems. A multimeter will tell you immediately if 5V is too low -- it's one of the most useful RasPi accessories.

Thanks for he explanation about the fuse. I didn't realise that. All my tools and test equipment is on a ship somewhere between South Africa and the UK so will have to wait for all of it to arrive before I get into debugging mode. Will just get another RasPi, cheaper than getting a decent multimeter ;)
by drgeoff » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:24 am
gregp wrote:Will just get another RasPi, cheaper than getting a decent multimeter ;)

£7.49 in Maplin will get you a very usable DMM. (Item code N15BY currently on special offer.)
by girishraded » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:52 pm
getting frustated because of booting up raspberry pi............

applied methods.
1) tried with 5 memory cards with same image.
2) tried with 5 memory cards with different os images.
3)tried with 10 different microsd adaptors.
4) tried with two different power supplies.
5) tried with no device connected.
what can I do now.it is really frustration that all the possibilities are not working..I am thinking that throw my raspberry pi board.
by texy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:55 pm
Hi and welcome to the board.
You'll need yo give us more info than that ;)
How are you producing the SD card?
What exactly is display on the TV/monitor?
What is the condition of the LED's?
How are you powering the Pi?
D oyou have a powered usb hub?
Texy
"2.8inch TFT LCD + Touch screen" add-on boards for sale here :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=65566
50p goes to the Foundation ;-)