I want to autoplay a Powerpoint PPS file on Boot. Help?

10 posts
by HellMeat » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:08 pm
I have been steadily learning more and more about the Pi and Linux, and this is the first time I have had to ask for help. I am not sure if I am headed down the correct path.

What I want ot do is load and play a .PPS file with LibreOffice when the Pi boots. Is there an easy way to do this? Do I need to switch to the LDXE Desktop to make this easier? Or create a script in /etx/init.d?

I am all about learning! But I am honestly stumped and somewhat of a newbie with Raspbian and the Pi.

Please, if someone has an example I could look at to point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
by ghans » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:16 pm
AFAIK X has to be started.
You should investigate LibreOffices command-line switches to start
it in presentation mode.

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/50

Hope above link sheds some light on the autostart issue.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by HellMeat » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:03 pm
Thank you, but I still need help.
by ghans » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:32 pm
Please elaborate.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by HellMeat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:24 pm
1) The Pi is running Raspbian and X is always started on boot.

2) LibreOffice does not support a "loop" from command line, so even though I created a script and made it executable under /etx/X11/Xsession.d, the presentation will run once, then stop and wait for Esc to be pressed. I tried ImpressRunner, but that didn't work either.

I am looking for a solid solution, because not only am I a beginner and am learning as I go, the people I work with know less about Linux in general than I do. Some options that I considers and rejected because I don't want the even more clueless end user to have a chance to break anything are:

Converting Powerpoint to movie / jpg / whatever - Extra steps on the end user side are off the table as per the IT boss.

RDP in and start the Presentation manually - I like this idea, but xrdp did not mirror what was going on on the actual Pi desktop... IE I started the slideshow on the Windows PC's RDP Window, but the Pi screen remained the standard desktop and didn't show the Powerpoint slideshow.
by Mr Floppy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:18 am
You need to run LibreOffice and go to Slide Show->Slide Show Settings

Set type to auto. Close LO and it should be saved to your user preferences. You will need to start LO as this user though.
by HellMeat » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:06 pm
Mr Floppy wrote:You need to run LibreOffice and go to Slide Show->Slide Show Settings

Set type to auto. Close LO and it should be saved to your user preferences. You will need to start LO as this user though.

This may save the slideshow rules when playing the PPS from within LO, but starting the PPS from command line on boot using libraoffice -show /[path to PPS] will only play the presentation once, then displays the "Press ESC to Exit" message, when started from a script.
by Mr Floppy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:36 am
Have you tried launching it in your local xsession start up file?
~/.xsession

It may behave differently with PATHS when launched from the global xsession file. I'm pretty sure it reads the config files from the command line as well, at least in headless mode anyway. You could test it out by running it from a terminal.
by nickedw » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:47 am
From the SlideShow menu dropdown, select 'slideshow settings'. A settings window opens On the left hand side, under 'Type' select
'Auto' and set the delay between rollovers to your liking. I like mine at 00:00:00, that way there is no delay before the show starts over. :)
by gregor3000 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:44 pm
might really be more efficient to turn it into a movie and then run movie directly from cli. i think there are a couple of movie players out there that work from CLI.(for example mplayer).

besides one can possibly add nicer special effects to a movie :-)