Hulu XBMC Plugin

9 posts
by jmadero » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:16 am
Hi All,

Anyone have any ideas as to why the hulu plugin works perfect on my laptop but only works about 50% of the time with the Pi?

For instance the following shows fail consistently:

Naruto Shippuden
Chopped
30 Minute Meals

Other shows such as:
Scandal
Once Upon A Time

Work perfectly.

Any opinions greatly appreciated, it's really the last missing piece to the Pi media center.

Many thanks
by malakai » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:30 am
The Pi has limited flash support I didn't even know it was capable of playing any hulu files. I actually don't use hulu personally but I am sure they have streams in multiple formats or flavors of flash if that is the only way they stream videos. Ultimately you could try and right click and see if you can find properties of the file.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by ghans » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:22 am
Does this work with a paid subscription ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by jmadero » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:55 pm
Yes it works with Hulu Plus but like I said, half the stuff doesn't work and that's a problem. One of the real features of the Pi is to be a full media center but if it's incapable of doing these kinds of things, I feel like it's really limited to fully replace a home media center box (a full setup vs. just a Pi). I'm wondering if ANYTHING could be done to make these things work correctly, even if that means taking in the file and then converting it before displaying anything.

Thinking that Hulu has multiple types of flash streams is surprising as most companies have a standard that they stick with, not sure what the logic would be for jumping around to different formats but who knows.

Ultimately I put the blame in the right place (Hulu and all of its affiliates), as I would be PERFECTLY content watching commercials and them making money off of the commercials and my $8/month subscription charge but they choose to make it impossible for me to watch Hulu the way that I want to watch it which is pretty frustrating
by bswiec » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:08 pm
FWIW, I run XBMC on Raspbian and I have installed the hulu plugin from bluecop repo.

It works just fine for me 95% of the time. On rare occasions, I will get a message asking me what quality playback I want, and the video will quit right after. It is usually on specific episodes of a show. However, by the next day, it usually works fine.

I am also using a wired connection from my RPi directly to my router.
by jmadero » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:52 pm
The built in feature in settings to disable commercials fixes the problem BUT I'm hoping that they correct this as I am a firm believer in Hulu's right to make money from commercials for offering me these shows. That being said, Hulu needs to pull it together and help make their stuff work on different platforms so that they can financially gain from Linux and other users watching their shows.

Did you disable commercials? Would explain why it works so well for you, if not try the shows that I listed, my guess is that they will start and then cut out about 10 seconds in (like I said, disabling commercials apparently fixes this).

Also I've found that subtitles don't work, already requesting this from bluecop, that developer deserves some donations from anyone using it, it's a great addition to XBMC
by bswiec » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:04 pm
Hey,

Ahh, no I really haven't mucked with any settings or stress tested it at all. Didn't even know you could disable commercials ha!

I'll try out those shows tonight when I get home and see if they work.

I am not using hulu plus or whatever... just freebee stuff.
by art76 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:53 am
Only just got my Rasberry Pi so working through putting xbmc on it, so hulu and netflix is my next project too. The only thing I have to add here is don't forget both of these are native on the ATV2 which doesn't have flash either as far as I know so they must also stream in some other format??
by ghans » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:07 pm
The Problem isn't really Flash , but DRM. Especially Netflix isn't interested in open-sourcing it.
And i don't think they will ever maintain ARMv6 BLOBs for Linux desktops.

So , the only way to watch Netflix is buying the PlayOn server and have it runnning on another machine ....
Interesting that Hulu works though.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org