OpenElec XBMC comes Up, But NO USB

15 posts
by WarpLover » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:32 pm
RPi v2 512 memory
r12669
Transcend 32Gb SD
keyboard Logitech k120
mouse Razor Death Adder (probably not approved)
MS IR remote
Belkin 7 port hub F5U700
DLink 7 port hub DUB H7
RPi PS is rated at 2.5a, but it has two ports, so I think I get half of that, 1.25a

XBMC comes up after about 90 seconds. It is begging for some input to control it, but I cannot get anything on the USB ports to work

I haven't tried an ethernet cable yet to see if that is working because - no I have control to use it.

1) is the USB working, but RPi is just hung?
2) will the MS remote normally work from the RPi USB, or is it just me?
3) does Openelec provide the USB drivers or does XBMC? Seems like OE would.
4) can I look somewhere to see if the drivers are on the SD card, or how does that work? I basically trying to see if the is SW or HW related.
5) can I edit the text start up files on the SD card in windows? Are there certain editors I should avoid?
6) how do I make RPi / OE go to the command line?
by redhawk » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:57 am
Have you tested your PI with Raspbian Wheezy yet??

Richard S.
by WarpLover » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:52 pm
I don't have a computer that runs Linux.

I found a SD setup that will download everything from the net, any version you want, but since I can't make a single key click with the mouse or keyboard, I cannot start the process. That shows me it is not software.

I beginning to think the 100ma poly fuse is blown on the USB. Any advice on how to repair this? I am ready to solder a wire across the fuse. :)
by redhawk » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:24 pm
Your PI must be quite old they've done away with the pointless USB polyfuses in the new board revision so bridging them would be a good idea.
Just make sure your USB devices are attached before powering the PI attaching USB devices afterwards may cause random reboots.

Richard S.
by WarpLover » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:16 pm
After some more reading, I guess I just have the one fuse - F3. I have the newest Rev. of the RPi.

I plug the Logitech mouse into the Pi (model M-U0026-before the power is added) and the light doesn't even come on when the Pi is powered up. Why would that be? No power? Like a fuse is blown?

I am talking about "a fuse" because that is what it acts like. It is not the definitive answer to what this Pi's problem is. No USB device (mouse, keyboard, remote control, hub, etc) works....like a fuse has blown - not saying it is a fuse - just acts like that. If the mouse worked and the keyboard didn't...I wouldn't think it was a fuse.

I have ordered a third USB Hub to try.

Do these poly fuses "blow" or are they acting like circuit breakers where they will "come back on"? Or are they just attenuating the power available?

So if I get XBMC on the screen, the OS worked? If the OS worked, the SD card is working, right? So I can eliminate the SD card as a possible problem?

What does that leave? 1) the amount of power the Pi is getting, 2) the OS is not installed properly 3) something is amiss with the hardware 4) drivers missing? 5) I still have the wrong hardware for the RPi?

I also tried Berryboot. It booted with no problem. Berryboot program patiently sits there and waits for the input (to begin the installation choices) but without the one key press I cannot get it to install anything. I think it is booting from Fedora.

So I have tried OE and a Fedora type installations. Both boot properly, but they both have USB issues. This leads me to think it is the hardware (or power).

I am not saying I have the answers. I am looking for answers.

What other versions can be installed from Windows? I have no Linux box.

I have downloaded: Android, Arch, OE, RISC, and Wheezy.
by WarpLover » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:58 pm
The Raspberry Pi book I have from Amazon only covers the earliest versions of the board. So the troubleshooting guide is a little out of date.

I tested voltage from TP1 to TP2. I got like 6.1v. Plenty. So the Pi is getting plenty of power (that was with Network cable and HDMI cables plugged in - no USB devices).

Tonight, I will test again with USB mouse and keyboard plugged in. Also, I will test any fuses I can find on board.

I am wondering if my Class 10 SD card is an issue. The "list" says its approved.
by redhawk » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:02 pm
6.1v is too high, are you using a analogue or digital voltmeter??

Richard S.
by WarpLover » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:48 am
Digital. On a 20v DC scale.

I'll report back after I make a few more tests.
by WarpLover » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:04 am
I tested the board with everything plugged in, and nothing plugged in. Results were 6.0 to 6.18vdc. From TP1 to TP2.

I didn't test the fuse. And I looked at the board and I don't think I want to reflow any solder joints. That board was made for wave soldering.

I also tried a SanDisk 8Gb SD card. Same results.

1) So the power is 1v too high
2) 2 SD cards seems to work because XBMC boots up.
3) No light at all on the Logitec mouse.
4) No USB stuff will work, 2 hubs, 2 mice, Micro$oft Remote Control and Logitech keyboard.
5) I don't see the negotiation lights flickering for the network.
6) I have been seeing an error message before XBMC at the top of the screen that is complaining about an addon folder "missing?"
I have no idea what that is about.

I would think that the reason it is not working is that the software is merely locking up, or drivers are missing, except for the fact that the mouse light does not come on - no power. Plenty of power is available. I tried two power supplies. Same results with either. USB is dead.

OpenElectrics logo comes up, XBMC comes up then no workie when you need to input.

I could try a different distibution OS, but no USB power is no USB power, regardless. And it would still be at 6v.

I think I should return it to Amazon. This one has made in China on it, BTW.
by drgeoff » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:08 am
If the input voltage is really over 6 volts the protection diode D17 (http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/u ... s-R1.0.pdf) may be coming into operation and (correctly) making the fuse F3 increase its resistance.

The OP should try another PSU before judging the RPi to be faulty.
by redhawk » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:18 am
What is the voltage / current rating of your PSU??

It is recommended the PI operates from a PSU of 5v @ 700mA or higher the fact that you're reading 6.1v from your digital meter is a cause for concern.
The PI still appears to work because it has an RG2 regulator providing 3.3v to the SoC and SD Card however your USB devices are powered from the PSU +ve rail they may not take kindly to higher voltages.

Richard S.
by WarpLover » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:17 pm
Thanks for your responses.

I have two supplies that I have tried. They both are 110v to USB wall plug convertors.

My battery is dead in the meter, so I won't be able to measure anything else until tonight after work. I plan to look at the voltages on both sides of the fuse to make sure they are with in 0.3v. Any other suggestions?

One of the supplies is from Home Depot. I bought it for its hi amperage output - 2 amps for 2 USB ports. The other was purchased with the Pi from Amazon. I took a reading with the second power supply from Amazon, but the failing battery gave bad readings. I'll have to wait until tonight to see if I get 5 or 6v there. Even if I read 5v, the USB still doesn't work and I get exactly the same results with either PS or SD card.

Are there measurements I can do for the USB port?
Is the fact that network is not negotiating (no lights blinking) a clue?
by drgeoff » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:22 pm
WarpLover wrote:Is the fact that network is not negotiating (no lights blinking) a clue?

Yes that is very significant. Probably an oscillator is not oscillating. I'll post some links later.
by drgeoff » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:28 pm
See viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5766.

Various people report the crystal being brought back to life by a gentle tap or resoldering its connections or putting the RPi in the freezer for a while or etc. The Powerpoint linked in my post of 9 December is about "sleeping crystals". If that is indeed the problem with your RPi, that presentation says that the problem will reoccur at some indeterminate time in the future and that there is no cure.

You may wish to consider using the RMA procedure.
by WarpLover » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:32 pm
Just to close this thread......the RPi v2 above was returned to Amazon. A new one was ordered. The new one worked like a charm and has dealt with almost everything I've thrown at it.

I can play 1080p with DTS streaming over the network, but with slight momentary pauses every now and then. Damn near works.

My sources come from the LAN in the form of windows shares. If I was to plug that hub of hard drives into the Pi, how do I mount those drives from within XBMC?

Can I quit RPi and go to a command line? I have one SD card running OpenElec (berryboot) and one running Raspbmc.