New board?

13 posts
by kkid » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:09 pm
I am looking to buy a RPi son but obvously, if a new board is coming out, I will wait until then.

I came across this mentioning a new B board by 2013:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=23600&start=3
by Dweeber » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:31 pm
And a comment from that thread said...

jamesh wrote:TBH there isn't much point in hanging on for a Rev3 - it will only be minor changes to the current device, and not worth the wait.

At $35.... why wait if you can get one. I have 2 older 256mb versions along with 2 512mb versions and I can put them all to work.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com
by Joe Schmoe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:37 pm
Please Google "The Osbourne Effect"

and get back to us, OK?
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -
by W. H. Heydt » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:02 pm
Joe Schmoe wrote:Please Google "The Osbourne Effect"

and get back to us, OK?

Since I'm old enough to remember when that happened.... It is worth keeping in mind that there are a few differences. Primarily, the Osbourne machines were relatively expensive while the Pi is cheap. One didn't order bunches of Osbournes, but people *do* order several Pis.

I have all versions of Pis except the the very earliest (the limited production test models) and the 256MB Rev. 2. I'd kind of like to have one of the later. If there is a Rev. 3 next year, I'll get at least one, but if I find that I need/want more Pis I certainly wouldn't wait even if I knew *for* *sure* that a new revision was coming and when it would arrive.

Amending the post...

There are two conditions under which I might modify buying plans.

!. If I anticipate a need for one or more additional Pis and a new version is coming, I might order *sooner* so as to avoid the sorts of backlogs that have happened due to board revisions so far.

2. If a board revision was adding significant functionality that would have a major positive impact on my plans or opened up new uses, then I would wait for the new version to be on the market.

For case 2, I can think of only two possible primary changes--with a secondary change linked to one of those--that would cause me to react that way. Those changes would be (a) the addition of a SATA port to the board, and (b) a significantly faster processor (at least 1GHz base and OC'able to 1.5GHz). The secondary linked change would be 1GB RAM, which I would really only want with the faster CPU. Note that I do not expect any of these changes in the foreseeable future.
by JackNapster » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:14 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Joe Schmoe wrote:Please Google "The Osbourne Effect"

and get back to us, OK?

Since I'm old enough to remember when that happened.... It is worth keeping in mind that there are a few differences. Primarily, the Osbourne machines were relatively expensive while the Pi is cheap. One didn't order bunches of Osbournes, but people *do* order several Pis.

I have all versions of Pis except the the very earliest (the limited production test models) and the 256MB Rev. 2. I'd kind of like to have one of the later. If there is a Rev. 3 next year, I'll get at least one, but if I find that I need/want more Pis I certainly wouldn't wait even if I knew *for* *sure* that a new revision was coming and when it would arrive.

Amending the post...

There are two conditions under which I might modify buying plans.

!. If I anticipate a need for one or more additional Pis and a new version is coming, I might order *sooner* so as to avoid the sorts of backlogs that have happened due to board revisions so far.

2. If a board revision was adding significant functionality that would have a major positive impact on my plans or opened up new uses, then I would wait for the new version to be on the market.

For case 2, I can think of only two possible primary changes--with a secondary change linked to one of those--that would cause me to react that way. Those changes would be (a) the addition of a SATA port to the board, and (b) a significantly faster processor (at least 1GHz base and OC'able to 1.5GHz). The secondary linked change would be 1GB RAM, which I would really only want with the faster CPU. Note that I do not expect any of these changes in the foreseeable future.

Just google CubiBoard then you will get one as you wish above.
by W. H. Heydt » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:40 pm
JackNapster wrote:Just google CubiBoard then you will get one as you wish above.

I've been following them for several months now. I expect to order as many as four of them some time in the spring...assuming they actually do get into general production now that their crowdsourcing effort was successful.
by JackNapster » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:12 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:
JackNapster wrote:Just google CubiBoard then you will get one as you wish above.

I've been following them for several months now. I expect to order as many as four of them some time in the spring...assuming they actually do get into general production now that their crowdsourcing effort was successful.

now i give the link to you
amateur forum
http://www.eeboard.com/bbs/thread-4637-1-2.html
official page
http://www.cubieboard.org

it was just $49. much better than Raspberry Pi I guess. And it is open source.

google 论坛(forum): https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/cubieboard
WIKI : http://linux-sunxi.org/Cubieboard
taobao.com (like ebay) 淘宝(就发现一家):http://item.taobao.com/item.htm? ... &id=19815480852

It's about 379 Yuan which equals to almost $60 dollars without shipment.
I am wondering why it is more expensive in his original land.
by JackNapster » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:22 pm
[flash]http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/XNDgyOTkzMTY4/v.swf[/flash]

here's a project of CubieBoard
by jamesh » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:12 pm
Much as I delight in reading about all these other boards, I'm going to draw the line at what I see as blatent advertising. Please refrain from it on this forum, which is for the Raspi, not advertising competitors products.
by poing » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:57 pm
JackNapster wrote:official page
http://www.cubieboard.org

I'm using the Chrome browser on W7. What I see is that the height of the revolving images at the top change, which makes the text beneath jump up and down all the time which in turn makes reading the page a challenge; you could consider to change that (either review the code or make all the images the same heigth) :?

The board looks interesting, I wonder how the community evolves, which is IMO more important than the specs. YMMV.
by W. H. Heydt » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:06 pm

While that may be a very fine support site, since I don't read Chinese, I wouldn't be able to get any use out of it. Thanks for trying, though.

And I suppose that points up a rather important point in support of the Pi. The Foundation (through these Forums) is supporting multiple language groups, including what may be the closest this planet has to a "universal" language.
by poing » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:39 pm
+1

What happened to 'Esperanto'?
by W. H. Heydt » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:48 pm
poing wrote:+1

What happened to 'Esperanto'?

Well... *Traditionally*, German was the "language of science", French was the "language of diplomacy" and Spanish was the "language of business".

Ever read (or had translated for you) business Spanish? Very flowery.

I suspect that English has become so widespread due to the British mercantile empire followed by a certain amount of US hegemony. At the very least, English (with a specialized, minimal vocabulary) IS the official "international language" of Air Traffic Control.

It has been speculated that the development of computers was, if not actually dependent on, was at least materially advance by being carried out in a language with a simple alphabet and the decided lack (plus ability avoid the use of) diacritics on nearly all common words. That being said, it's quite apparent that the development of high quality dot-matrix printers is attributable to needs of written Japanese.