Netflix for Raspberry Pi

13 posts
by NerdUno » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:23 pm
Saw this announcement this week for Ubuntu. Anyone want to tackle it for the RasPi??

:arrow: http://www.iheartubuntu.com/2012/11/ppa ... p-app.html
by ghans » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:39 pm
Does this rely on WINE (which currently simply CAN'T work on
ARM) ?
We had a fab time watching Dietmar hacking it with qemu-user ...
whatever he takes , i want something of it :D .

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by lewmur » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 pm
ghans wrote:Does this rely on WINE (which currently simply CAN'T work on
ARM) ?

ghans

Yes, it does rely on Wine. Which makes it a non-starter for me. I'll continue to use an XP session in Vbox to watch Netflix on my Linux box.

As for the Pi, the best bet for it getting Netflix lies in porting Android to the Pi. I haven't heard anything on that front in months.
by W. H. Heydt » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:11 pm
Doesn't the Roku 2--which, if I understand correctly, using the BCM2835 SoC--handle Netflix? If so, the Pi could too.
by lewmur » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:52 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:Doesn't the Roku 2--which, if I understand correctly, using the BCM2835 SoC--handle Netflix? If so, the Pi could too.

There is no question that the Pi hardware can handle Netflix. But you have to have an OS that supports Netflix in order to do it. That's why I said Android is the best bet. There is already an Android app for Netflix.
by aaa801 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:53 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:Doesn't the Roku 2--which, if I understand correctly, using the BCM2835 SoC--handle Netflix? If so, the Pi could too.

Its not the same chip, stop saying it is
by aaa801 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:54 pm
lewmur wrote:
ghans wrote:Does this rely on WINE (which currently simply CAN'T work on
ARM) ?

ghans

Yes, it does rely on Wine. Which makes it a non-starter for me. I'll continue to use an XP session in Vbox to watch Netflix on my Linux box.

As for the Pi, the best bet for it getting Netflix lies in porting Android to the Pi. I haven't heard anything on that front in months.

were still working on it,
come idle in #razdroid on irc.freenode.net
by khulat » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:47 pm
aaa801 wrote:

Its not the same chip, stop saying it is

Wikipedia and it's sources seem to disagree with you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison
Unless you mean it's another version of the BCM2835 which is certainly possible, but you should have stated that clearly if that is the case.
by johnnyvibrant » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:16 pm
im unsure as to if the pi cannot actually handle netflix, its probably just that that the streaming mechanism is closed source and cannot actually be easily broken so to work on the pi...pretty much the same for xbmc and since no-one really wants to go about illegally cracking this stuff it might not happen. (I would imagine the actual video files are simply h.264 which the pi handles easily)
by lewmur » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:43 am
johnnyvibrant wrote:im unsure as to if the pi cannot actually handle netflix, its probably just that that the streaming mechanism is closed source and cannot actually be easily broken so to work on the pi...pretty much the same for xbmc and since no-one really wants to go about illegally cracking this stuff it might not happen. (I would imagine the actual video files are simply h.264 which the pi handles easily)

Netflix on Window software is written using Silverlight, which is proprietary MS software. There was a Linux project called Moonlight which was supposed to give Silverlight function to Linux but, to my knowledge, it was never completed. Of course, that is x86 based and wouldn't work on the Pi.

Android, OTOH, is ARM based and does have Netflix software written for it and that would work on the Pi. But, as I said, we are still waiting for an Android port for the Pi. One of the responses to my earlier post indicates that there are people currently working on getting that port.
by raspberrypiomane » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:34 am
You could also use the Plex Media Server - unlike Playon, it's free. As far as I know, the server needs to be able to play Netflix though. I use Windows 7 as the Plex Media Server, I don't know if using the Netflix-on-Ubuntu workaround will get this done as well, but I doubt it. There are PMS builds for Linux.

You will need to install the Netflix Addon on the PMS and the Plexbmc Addon on the Pi.

In the Plexbmc options set "always transcode" to true.

This worked on my setup with Openelec on a B-model Raspberry Pi - should work with any XBMC-on-Raspberry-Pi setup though.

Of course, this still means a second server running Windows 7 needs to be on for streaming and currently the Netflix Addon for PMS only works in the USA.
by bduerst » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:25 pm
I will have to try Plex Media Server + Ubuntu 64bit server + Netflix + RaspBMC to see if I can get it to work.
by macxcool » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:56 pm
Actually, the plexmediaserver netflix plugin does work in Canada (and possibly elsewhere). It's just hidden in a section reserved for plugins that don't work in your region. It's just not in the regular list of plugins.