Need Help with Loading Games on BSNES for Raspbian

10 posts
by Glitchy_Bot11 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:06 am
I am new to Linux and programming in general so bare with me here. I installed BSNES on my PI (I'm using Raspbian) but it won't open. Also, when I initially installed it through the command line I read a message about installing games through the games/bins compatibility. Don't know what that means. I'm learning how to use Linux from scratch. Trying to get the basics of the command line down. Can I get some help with this?
by welshy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:43 am
Glitchy_Bot11
I haven’t experimented with BSNES so firstly, congratulations on getting it compiled! So far my SNES emulation dealings have been with SNES9X-SDL and they are either, performance wise, not great (v1.53) or, on set up complex (v1.39, due to OSS sound Drivers being required rather than ALSA/SDL). If you can post a link to the source code version you have (or just state it here), I am prepared to take a look at it, always open to new solutions for emulation!
by Glitchy_Bot11 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:03 pm
Remember I'm totally new to this. I'm teaching myself how to use Linux. I think I got the hang of how to look for games (cd /usr/bins then run ls) but I haven't tried it out yet. Not sure what you mean by 'source code version'.
by welshy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:30 am
Glitchy_Bot11
Ok, what I mean is the Program downloaded, i.e. the VERSION of BSNES you are trying to run. It will either be a “Binary” (“Pre-packaged” code/executable of the program, originally compiled for a Pandora, GP2X, Cannoo handheld console etc (I am guessing if its this option it MUST BE for one of these, they are ALL Linux O/S, ARM processor based)). Or “Source Code” the “RAW” code for the program be it the Linux, Windows or MAC O/S (Operating System (Obviously the “Linux” version in this case!)), which you have to compile yourself for a “Target” machine (By “Target” this being the machine you are going to run it on). Whichever it is, it will be a revision of the original program (Looking at the BSNES Homepage, its currently up to v091). I wasn’t aware of an ARM version of BSNES? That’s why I have been concentrating on SNES9X-SDL, that’s one of the MAJOR problems with Linux emulators, MOST are coded for INTEL X86 processors, but maybe someone has “Cross-Compiled” a version for one of the Handhelds quoted above! (If they HAVENT that's why it DOESNT WORK!!! If they have NICE WORK tracking it down!)
A “Link” would be helpful! Or just the “File Name” of the download so I can do a search for it! (E.g. advancemame-0.106.1.tar.gz)

Hope that Helps!
by malakai » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:39 am
pi@raspberrypi01 ~ $ apt-cache search "bsnes"
bsnes - Accurate SNES/SuperFamicom emulator
laevateinn - bsnes SNES/SuperFamicom debugger

It appears it's available in the repo

For it not opening are you logging into desktop and trying it's hard to tell but it seems like your trying from just the command line if so run the following command and post what happens from there.

startx
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by welshy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:27 am
malakai
Nice Spot! Forgot about the Repo's! (RPi isn’t connected permanently, my Router is located in another room!). Have you tried it? Is it worth downloading? (i.e. how does it compare to SNES9X-SDL, v1.39 (Slightly “Messy” to run through OSS) or v1.53? (Performance “Issues”). From memory it also emulates the NES, though, I don’t really need that, already have THREE options! (AdvMESS, FCE and Mednafen!)
by Glitchy_Bot11 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:34 pm
malakai wrote:pi@raspberrypi01 ~ $ apt-cache search "bsnes"
bsnes - Accurate SNES/SuperFamicom emulator
laevateinn - bsnes SNES/SuperFamicom debugger

It appears it's available in the repo

For it not opening are you logging into desktop and trying it's hard to tell but it seems like your trying from just the command line if so run the following command and post what happens from there.

startx

I have it on my desktop. It wont open. I haven't tried it since I first started up my Pi on Friday night. I have two kids and a third on the way so I don't have much time to start up a hobby. I'm trying though. I'm gonna try to tinker with it tonight after the kids and wife fall asleep.

But, no, it won't open on the desktop. I tried right clicking for the "Open" option and nothing happened. Maybe I need to install the games first?
by Glitchy_Bot11 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:06 am
So I've been able to locate the file "bsnes-compatbility" but I'm not sure what to do with it. It says I can't install it (using apt-get install). I'm way over my head here. I noticed that directories are dark blue and these files are green. What does this mean?

Also, I tried installing other emulators and they have all failed to install. I guess it's missing some components. Any help? what emulators on Raspbian should I try and what should I avoid as a first time user?
by malakai » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:41 am
This is just something I grabbed off the net

Color File type
blue directories
red compressed archives
white text files
pink images
cyan links
yellow devices
green executable
flashing red broken links

As far as getting this running I only played with it a bit and it wouldn't load up

For emulators there are a few great threads in the forums

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=23272&p=231239&hilit=emulator#p231239

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=13600&hilit=emulator

There are a ton if searching try emulator in the search filed

Also try google paste this in

site:raspberrypi.org emulator
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by Glitchy_Bot11 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:18 am
malakai wrote:This is just something I grabbed off the net

Color File type
blue directories
red compressed archives
white text files
pink images
cyan links
yellow devices
green executable
flashing red broken links

As far as getting this running I only played with it a bit and it wouldn't load up

For emulators there are a few great threads in the forums

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=23272&p=231239&hilit=emulator#p231239

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=13600&hilit=emulator

There are a ton if searching try emulator in the search filed

Also try google paste this in

site:raspberrypi.org emulator

Thanks. Didn't mean to come off as a complete spazz. I have Googled and searched on forums for a crapload of stuff.

I found the Boot.ROM files. Do I need to do something with those?