****ing NetSurf

15 posts
by nr. » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:26 pm
I've just tried three times to reply to a topic here, with some selective quoting. Of course, I don't want to quote *everything*, so I want to highlight a block of text, and delete it. Three times NetSurf has crashed with a 'serious error'. Sometimes it works, more often it doesn't. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way around it? Or is it easier to just accept that I should do all my clipping and cutting and formatting of text before I type any reply lest I lose the whole lot again. Or just give up on selective quoting and make the threads impossible to read?

Time for a cup of tea I think.

(Yes, I've checked in !PackMan to ensure that I'm up to date with my version of NetSurf).
--
nr.
by helpful » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:25 pm
Sad to say that the problem with NetSurf crashing when cutting and pasting in text areas has been around for several years :-(

I don't think PackMan has been setup to fetch the very latest development version, so you could try downloading that and seeing if things have improved. There have been some big updates recently. Follow the "Test builds" link (top right) from this page: http://www.netsurf-browser.org/downloads/riscos/

Do not overwrite your existing copy just in case the latest dev version is broken!
by nr. » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:48 pm
helpful wrote:Sad to say that the problem with NetSurf crashing when cutting and pasting in text areas has been around for several years :-(

I don't think PackMan has been setup to fetch the very latest development version, so you could try downloading that and seeing if things have improved. There have been some big updates recently. Follow the "Test builds" link (top right) from this page: http://www.netsurf-browser.org/downloads/riscos/

Do not overwrite your existing copy just in case the latest dev version is broken!

Many thanks for that - I just tried the latest development version, and if nothing else, can confirm that the same bug is still there! I'll stick with it though, as it seems to be stable otherwise.

Ta,
--
nr.
by DavidS » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:33 pm
I have similar problems if I use the normal NetSurf 2.9 build. I do not have this trouble with the development builds with Java Script enabled (the json builds).
ARM Assembly Language: For those that want: Simple, Powerful, Easy to learn, and Easy to debug.
by nr. » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:13 pm
I still get the same crashes with json versions of NetSurf - the problem is still there. I've also noticed that the only advantage to the json version seems to be that it enables enough javascript to allow the website to redirect me to a mobile version of the site! For instance, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ now automagically redirects to http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/ with json NetSurf, which I really don't want. I'd rather have the www page with the news ticker not working than the mobile version.

Not to worry. It's still the best option on RISC OS, and 99% of the time, it does everything I need.
--
nr.
by redhawk » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:24 pm
The BBC News site is redirecting Netsurf to the mobile site with or without json it's all to do with the useragent string - viewtopic.php?f=66&t=28242
There are way around this I'm using Squid proxy with filters but you should be able to get the same effect by recompiling Netsurf with a fake useragent string.

Richard S.
by nr. » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:44 am
Worth mentioning here that if you're using a pi as your proxy, the default Raspbian distribution of Squid isn't compiled with --enable-http-violations, which it needs to be to allow the header_replace directive in the squid.conf file.

I now know a lot more about squid.conf than I did this morning :)
--
nr.
by DavidS » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:39 pm
Ok now hat I am running RIS C OS on the RPi HW I am finding some things are a bit defferent with NetSurf than they are on a real RiscPC with a soft loaded RIC OS 5.17, or on RPCEmu with RISC OS 5.19.
I do not know why the differences, though on the RPi formatting of tables is off, the JSON builds crash, and sometimes it selects the wrong hyperlink.

Though I do not have any trouble dragging text into NetSrf.
ARM Assembly Language: For those that want: Simple, Powerful, Easy to learn, and Easy to debug.
by DavidS » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:42 pm
Not sure if it is an error in NeSurf or in RISC OS. The difficulties that I mentioned above dissapeared when I went to using a DVI Monitor at 1600x900@32BPP@45Hz. The JSON builds even run correctly now.
by jfornango » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:27 am
Yup, Netsurf is a pain in the bum. Click on a smilie and loose everything you just typed (like I just did) LOL

Otherwise, I kind of like RISC. It's lightweight and fast. I'll probably use RISC for robotics AI and CNC, but use Raspian for internet work. (thank goodness the RPi can swap OSes with a simple card swap)
I'm only wearing black until they find something darker.
by DavidS » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:44 pm
I'll probably use RISC for robotics AI and CNC, but use Raspian for internet work.

I do not know about all that. I think the solution is to find a good liteweight webkit based browser and port it to RISC OS. I have been looking around to see what is available, and plan on doing a ort soon.

You see I feel that RISC OS is a quite usable OS, it just needs some new applications. The only propblem is so many are tempted to port applications that are huge and slow, I will test every application I port on a 33MHz ARM 610 RISC PC.

Foot note: The OS is called RISC OS, the CPU archetechure is called RISC.
by dr_d_gee » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:04 pm
DavidS wrote:
I'll probably use RISC for robotics AI and CNC, but use Raspian for internet work.

I think the solution is to find a good liteweight webkit based browser and port it to RISC OS.

Midori seems to have the best reputation as a lightweight web-browser that uses Webkit.
by DavidS » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:17 pm
dr_d_gee wrote:Midori seems to have the best reputation as a lightweight web-browser that uses Webkit.
Yea tried it some time ago, it is to slow to be usable on a 33MHz ARM 610, it may be goo on the RPi, though I folow the philosophy that for most desktop apps, it should be usable on the lowest common HardWare. In ths cse this means a RiscPC with a ARM610 and 32MB of RAM (of course running RISC OS 5. If some one can figure out how to get Midori to run well on the low end RiscPC then we will have a good fast browser for the RPi.

Unfortunately it seems that software egineers no longer take the time to optimize software very well.
A modern MPEG player is dog slow on a 1.2GHz system with 1GB of RAM, while most of the MPEG players for RISC OS that are qually capable are smooth and responcive on on a low end RiscPC.
by DavidS » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:11 am
I got a bit delayed today. NetSurf crashed hard. It did something to the system !Boot though I could not figure it out. Evena after replacing NetSurf with a fresh copy and deleting its preferences from SDFS::$.!Boot.Choices.WWW the error persisted. I had to restore everything from a back up I made of the contents of the default RISC OS Pi SD card. This did not take very long thankfuly (just deleted everything except for SDFFFS::$.!Boot.Loader then copied every thing from the backup), though backing up everything that I had added before doing the restore took a couple of hours.

Still have not reinstalled GCC, etc. and restored the source trees that I am woring with.

This will teach me if I am going to b messin with the ARM and SDRAM clocks to maake sure to make frequent backups of everything.
by helpful » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:14 am
Those suffering from NetSurf crashes when editing text areas (i.e. everyone!) will be interested in this message on the users mailing list:

http://vlists.pepperfish.net/pipermail/ ... 11574.html

I've posted this with the latest test version and have had no problems cutting and pasting text :-)

The test versions also have (very) experimental Javascript support.

Note: do follow the installation instructions as you will need to merge in the supplied !Boot and !System files.

Bryan.