What killer apps should I use with RISCOS?

26 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by AforAlex » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:55 pm
Hi, really excited about seeing RISC OS on the Pi, I was lucky enough to own a RISC PC when I was younger and was very sorry when I had to move over to Windows.

That was quite a while ago, and have been playing around with RISC OS and its very nostalgic but I've struggled finding software to make it really usable. So I was wondering if anyone on this forum could recommend a couple of killer apps and where I get hold of them.

I suspect I'm hoping for more than will be available, I appreciate RISC OS as been out of use for quite a while in the mainstream, really hoping it thrives on the Pi, keep up the good work.
by theom » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:11 pm
by timrowledge » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:41 am
Well there's always Squeak. I don't imagine it works right now since I haven't updated the RISC OS package in a couple of years but once my RPi arrives I'll see what can be done.

http://www.squeak.org

tim
--
tim Rowledge; tim@rowledge.org; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Furnulum pani nolo = I don't want a toaster.
"Compromise", says Professor Trefusis, "is stalling between two fools"
by timrowledge » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:27 pm
OK, Squeak is now starting to work; there is a curious RISC OS bug that stopped a timer module from working but stepping back to a previous approach seems to work for now.

There'll be a package to grab soon.
by skywalker » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:00 am
timrowledge wrote:OK, Squeak is now starting to work...
There'll be a package to grab soon.

Very cool if Squeak will be available (again?) on RISCOS.

The more time I spend with the Raspi, the more I seem to be running RISCOS... aside from a few irritations (like being used to selecting and overtyping text in edit boxes, and not _quite_ having a modern browser) RISCOS is quick/breezy and a real pleasure to use. I'm also surprised with how much software is available, though not all of it appears to run on the Pi.

One of the things I have been booting into Linux for is Scratch (for the kids). Hopefully that could be made to run too if Squeak works.
by timrowledge » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:48 pm
Squeak has been available on RISC OS pretty much continuously since '96, albeit without much support for a couple of years. Smalltalk has been available on RISC OS since before it was RISC OS - 1987. It was included in the origin announcement of the ARM: see https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... JR_d7nnyYJ
by Nemesiscorporation » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:22 pm
AforAlex wrote:Hi, really excited about seeing RISC OS on the Pi, I was lucky enough to own a RISC PC when I was younger and was very sorry when I had to move over to Windows.

That was quite a while ago, and have been playing around with RISC OS and its very nostalgic but I've struggled finding software to make it really usable. So I was wondering if anyone on this forum could recommend a couple of killer apps and where I get hold of them.

I suspect I'm hoping for more than will be available, I appreciate RISC OS as been out of use for quite a while in the mainstream, really hoping it thrives on the Pi, keep up the good work.

I only ordered the Raspberry Pi when the RISC OS became available for it. You will find emulators on it for running Archimedes software which can do almost everything.
by nr. » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:25 pm
If you haven't already, take a look at the NutPi collection, from ROOL [1]. I can't remember the figures exactly, but it's something like £500 worth of software for £40 or so. There's a lot of useful stuff on there. Ah, now I've been hunting for the link, it's actually closer to £600 worth.

[1] https://www.riscosopen.org/news/article ... spberry-pi
--
nr.
by DavidS » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:01 am
AforAlex wrote:Hi, really excited about seeing RISC OS on the Pi, I was lucky enough to own a RISC PC when I was younger and was very sorry when I had to move over to Windows.

I am not sure what you are refering to by 'Killer apps', though there are good DTP Packages, Graphics design (vector, bitmap [including photo editing suites], 3D modeling, and 3D rendering ), software Development tools, Games, etc. that rival anything on Linux and in many cases are better faster and more usable than the utilities for Linux.

For a web browser our best bet at this time is NetSurf.
For Software Development, the list is way to long.

In order to fully answer your question, there is needed some idea of what you are looking for. And I think that your expectations are probably to low in all fact, as I believe that you will likely find RISC OS to be much more productive a work/play environment than the currently popular commercial and open source OSes.
ARM Assembly Language: For those that want: Simple, Powerful, Easy to learn, and Easy to debug.
by AforAlex » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:24 pm
Thanks for your replies, David> I suppose I was asking two questions really, first question I suppose was "How do I make RISCOS usable as an everyday computer", meaning what's the best web browser, best office applications, best MultiMedia applications etc etc ....

The second part specifically was "Killer apps" meaning what does RISCOS give me that is demonstrably better than Rasbian?
by timrowledge » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:25 am
OK, you may now try out Squeak for RISC OS.
http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/Squeak3-9-RISCOS.zip
Remember to read the READMERIGHTNOW file, please.
by skywalker » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:41 am
timrowledge wrote:OK, you may now try out Squeak for RISC OS.

w00t! Thanks Tim!
by grannyg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:26 pm
timrowledge wrote:OK, you may now try out Squeak for RISC OS.

Scratch runs ok too!
by timrowledge » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:38 pm
Scratch runs ok too!

Hmm, interesting. I haven't ever tried Scratch, though I saw some demos of its very early experimental days several years back. I'd expect it to be pretty slow right now on RISC OS; the Morphic UI within Squeak is as laggy and irritating as ever, even though the Pi is noticeably faster than my old Iyonix.

I *think* there is a combination of problems from the way Squeak wants input events handled, the way RISC OS expects to have things run (I have to use no reason wimp_polls all the time, very annoying) and the low levels of how Morphic puts things together. Notice how clicking on one window when another has focus can take a second or more to activate the new window. I know it's not merely slowness because I've had some pretty complex visual structures that drag and scale very nippily.

Do please strongly consider joining the squeak mailing list and providing RISC OS squeak with some visibility! Got to keep the windows hordes under control somehow...
by pygmy_giant » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:38 am
Had trouble with the SqueakV40.sources.gz file - couldn't unzip under RISC OS.

Could it be because I can only get an internet connection on my Windows Laptop (mobile broadband)?
by timrowledge » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:56 am
A newer version is on my website - the strange timer module issues seem to have been worked out and it seems nicer on my Pi.

http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/Squeak3-9b-RISCOS.zip

pygmy_giant -
Had trouble with the SqueakV40.sources.gz file - couldn't unzip under RISC OS.

Hmph. I honestly don't know about that. I'll see what I can find out and reporter back.
by Tide » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:55 am
Not sure if this is somehow ARMv7 related but I seem to be unable to unzip the file
by DavidS » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:10 pm
Tide wrote:Not sure if this is somehow ARMv7 related but I seem to be unable to unzip the file

Did you make sure that the zipfile name does not match what you are attempting to extract? Every once in a while I ake this mistake becouse NetSurf automatically strips the extension and sets the file type.
ARM Assembly Language: For those that want: Simple, Powerful, Easy to learn, and Easy to debug.
by adlambert » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:42 pm
AforAlex wrote: first question I suppose was "How do I make RISCOS usable as an everyday computer",

I think one thing that needs to be sorted before that can happen is the printing needs to be fixed. Current print solutions that I am aware of involve running a sepaate Windows PC on the network and printing via proxy.
by Tide » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:11 pm
@DavidS

Not sure what you mean. When I doubleclick or drop the file on SparkFS I just get "Error when reading". No matter if I rename the file or change the file type from archive to zip.

edit: just tried SparkPlug and hey presto! WTF?
by DavidS » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:20 pm
Ok I just assumed that you were using !SparkPlug. SparkFS has always been touchy.
by nr. » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:21 pm
adlambert wrote:I think one thing that needs to be sorted before that can happen is the printing needs to be fixed. Current print solutions that I am aware of involve running a sepaate Windows PC on the network and printing via proxy.

Not that I'd noticed. I plugged a USB printer in, and pretty much started printing straight away. Although there wasn't a driver for my printer (HP LaserJet 1012) I used one of the generic LaserJet drivers and it worked. I haven't tested it much, but I certainly didn't need a seperate PC to drive the printer.
--
nr.
by adlambert » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:49 pm
nr. wrote:
adlambert wrote:I think one thing that needs to be sorted before that can happen is the printing needs to be fixed. Current print solutions that I am aware of involve running a sepaate Windows PC on the network and printing via proxy.

Not that I'd noticed. I plugged a USB printer in, and pretty much started printing straight away. Although there wasn't a driver for my printer (HP LaserJet 1012) I used one of the generic LaserJet drivers and it worked. I haven't tested it much, but I certainly didn't need a seperate PC to drive the printer.

Does it have the support for printing to modern wireless or network printers?
by DavidS » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:11 pm
adlambert wrote: Does it have the support for printing to modern wireless or network printers?
I do believe that it will print to network printers with no trouble, though wo uses them anymore, we do not live in the 1960's through 1980's any longer. As far as wireless netork devices RISC OS does not yet support 802.11a/b/g/n, nor bluetooth.
by sawdust » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:16 pm
adlambert wrote:
nr. wrote:

Does it have the support for printing to modern wireless or network printers?

RemotePrinterFS will print to wifi printers through a router.

http://www.sbellon.de/sw-modules.html

Sawdust.