Cubieboard vs RaspberryPi B

74 posts   Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3
by rvalles » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:53 am
Found this relatively interesting board in rpi price range.

Official site: http://cubieboard.org/
They sold small numbers last month and are now trying to fund a 1k+ run via indiegogo: http://www.indiegogo.com/cubieboard

Some difference highlights from specs:
  • 1G ARMv7 cortex-A8 processor (2x as fast per clock), NEON, VFPv3, 256KB L2 cache vs 700MHz ARMv6
  • Mali400, OpenGL ES GPU (lima reverse-engineered drivers) vs VideoCoreIV (free "shim")
  • 1GB DDR3 @480MHz vs 512MB DDR2
  • 10/100M Ethernet MAC built in the SoC vs USB 10/100M ethernet
  • 4GB Nand Flash vs nothing
  • SATA2 port vs none
  • 2 USB Host vs 2 USB + ethernet from 1 USB via builtin hub
  • MicroSD vs SD
  • Costs $59, shipping included.
by nicknml » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:25 pm
The problem though right now is that the Cubieboard doesn't have nearly as big of a community and as much documentation as the Raspberry Pi. Hopefully those two areas will improve as more Cubieboards are sold, and if they do I'll buy one as the SATA port does appeal to me.
by Lob0426 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:58 am
Well you might build your own community and Wiki's and such!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with 512MB
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!
by Mariano Cividino » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:43 am
It can run Raspbian, so I guess it can enjoy the same software Raspberry Pi has.
I wonder how the SATA support works on Rasbpian, tough.
I just ordered a Cubieboard to use it on my "server farm" (together with 4 raspberry Pi I use as servers for different things at home). I thought it would be interesting to run things that need a bit more horsepower.
Let's see if I can have a minimal Raspbian installation on it, as BerryBoot does not seem to give you that option.

Cubieboard is around 10 Euros more expensive, if one includes shipping, here in Europe.

Regards.
by richardp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:53 am
rvalles wrote:Found this relatively interesting board in rpi price range.

They sold small numbers last month and are now trying to fund a 1k+ run via indiegogo: http://www.indiegogo.com/cubieboard

• 1G ARMv7 cortex-A8 processor (2x as fast per clock), NEON, VFPv3, 256KB L2 cache vs 700MHz ARMv6
  • Mali400, OpenGL ES GPU (lima reverse-engineered drivers) vs VideoCoreIV (free "shim")
  • SATA2 port vs none
  • MicroSD vs SD

You might as well walk in to a synagogue with a bacon sandwich :-P Asking about other cheap boards here is usually met with a barrage of 'I love Raspberry Pi' posts and in the end the Raspberry is the best and every else is junk due to a million superfluous reasons.

For me, I am going to get a cubie board at the end of the month; the main reason being the Ethernet is *NOT* on a USB port and a nice SATA interface. ( re USB Redux)

Richard
RaspberryPi's galore
Solid run CuBox
ODroid U2
by jamesh » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:16 pm
richardp wrote:

• SATA2 port vs none
  • MicroSD vs SD

You might as well walk in to a synagogue with a bacon sandwich :-P Asking about other cheap boards here is usually met with a barrage of 'I love Raspberry Pi' posts and in the end the Raspberry is the best and every else is junk due to a million superfluous reasons.

For me, I am going to get a cubie board at the end of the month; the main reason being the Ethernet is *NOT* on a USB port and a nice SATA interface. ( re USB Redux)

Richard

Well, I don't know whether you've noticed, but this is the Raspberry Pi forum , not the Cubieboard forum, so a certain amount of Raspi biased would be expected, don'tcha think? TBH, I reckon we should just start deleting all these posts about other boards - its just free advertising for them off the backs of the people putting in the effort here, and reduces Raspi sales. You know, the ones that's a charity.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by richardp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:43 pm
jamesh wrote:
richardp wrote:

• SATA2 port vs none
  • MicroSD vs SD

Richard

Well, I don't know whether you've noticed, but this is the Raspberry Pi forum , not the Cubieboard forum, so a certain amount of Raspi biased would be expected, don'tcha think? TBH, I reckon we should just start deleting all these posts about other boards - its just free advertising for them off the backs of the people putting in the effort here, and reduces Raspi sales. You know, the ones that's a charity.

Not to be disrespectful, but is the Raspberry Pi foundations idea to promote the use of the understanding of bare bones computers, and to enhance the whole electronics/programming quality of people entering the schooling system ... or to Sell Raspberries.

I personally like the Pi (although there are lots of caveats) and use them in places where they are suited. As it happened, the RaspberryPi foundation has started a craze, and like the 80's with home computers there were dozens and dozens of 'Wannabe' clones of clones... roll on 5 years and there were only a handful left. Time will separate the men from the boys :P

my 2p.. I am not saying another word on the topic :D I personally support the Pi foundation and will continue.
RaspberryPi's galore
Solid run CuBox
ODroid U2
by jamesh » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:48 pm
richardp wrote:
jamesh wrote:

Not to be disrespectful, but is the Raspberry Pi foundations idea to promote the use of the understanding of bare bones computers, and to enhance the whole electronics/programming quality of people entering the schooling system ... or to Sell Raspberries.

I personally like the Pi (although there are lots of caveats) and use them in places where they are suited. As it happened, the RaspberryPi foundation has started a craze, and like the 80's with home computers there were dozens and dozens of 'Wannabe' clones of clones... roll on 5 years and there were only a handful left. Time will separate the men from the boys :P

my 2p.. I am not saying another word on the topic :D I personally support the Pi foundation and will continue.

The Foundations aim is indeed to promote the teaching of computing and programming (not necessarily 'bare bones' stuff). And that idea is enhanced by selling more Raspi's because more money can be spent on the charity's aims. Note that being a charity means the money HAS to be spent on the charity's aims, by law. That cam mean funding teaching material, software, hardware in impoverished areas etc.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
by Maxion » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:54 pm

• SATA2 port vs none
  • MicroSD vs SD

While the specs look good, there's virtually no community and no documentation of any possible errors of the board.

As we can see with the Pi making a cheap board is not all plain sailing. The Pi has a couple of bus (Especially with USB) that seem to be hard to track down and fix.

Most likely the cubieboard has similar problems, especially since it has more hardware than the PI does.

IMO unless you need a feature from the cubieboard for your project the Pi is a better bet as you'll know more about potential issues when you start using it, and therefore getting stable operation from the PI should be easier.
by Ravenous » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:24 pm
Maxion wrote:Most likely the cubieboard has similar problems, especially since it has more hardware than the PI does.

If it does I'm sure we'll hear from them (they may well come here looking for hints with the ARMv6 side.)

I'm all for alternatives (correction, complementary devices), but a little more respect and less slagging off of the 'I love Raspberry Pi' movement on their own forum would be nice. I suspect the joke about pork products didn't go down too well in some quarters either.

Sorry for the rant - just looking for calm.
by Rene_is_I » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:51 pm
jamesh wrote: I reckon we should just start deleting all these posts about other boards - its just free advertising for them off the backs of the people putting in the effort here, and reduces Raspi sales. You know, the ones that's a charity.

Did/do you perhaps work at Microsoft jamesh?
Since when is it not proper to discuss other boards on this forum?
Eban himself wrote somewhere that he welcomes other boards similar to the Raspi as it helps promote
the Foundations aim/s.
Does the cubie board somehow not meet this criteria or is free speech not permitted here?
by Ravenous » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:01 pm
(Sigh.)
by RaTTuS » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:03 pm
http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/ ... 5341359084 is a very nice thing - not as cheep as a raspberry but ..... not far off
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html <- ask smart Questions
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
by Rene_is_I » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:11 pm
Et tu, RaTTuS? :D
by randyks » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:11 pm
I think it is great that there are a lot of these types of boards under development. I think it means good things for the future of computing, linux, programming, and learning. I am guessing most people here would be interested in what is being developed with the Pi foundation as well as other producers. Until I got a Pi this Christmas, I didn't really know much about these types of computers. It is all pretty exciting. :)
by Rene_is_I » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:14 pm
@randyks

+1
by jamesh » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:40 am
Rene_is_I wrote:
jamesh wrote: I reckon we should just start deleting all these posts about other boards - its just free advertising for them off the backs of the people putting in the effort here, and reduces Raspi sales. You know, the ones that's a charity.

Did/do you perhaps work at Microsoft jamesh?
Since when is it not proper to discuss other boards on this forum?
Eban himself wrote somewhere that he welcomes other boards similar to the Raspi as it helps promote
the Foundations aim/s.
Does the cubie board somehow not meet this criteria or is free speech not permitted here?

Nope, never worked at MS. I have no problem with discussion, but when the discussion is basically an advert saying go off and buy one of these instead,I think that's a bit much.

And there is NO free speech on this board. Whatever gave you that idea? Its just the same as any other forum, you obey the rules of the forum. Free to say what you like? Nope. It is a benevolent dictatorship.
by Cloudcentric » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:24 am
Maybe one of these would be better ?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/AD2700-ITX

If can find one they are around £70.00...
I know everything about nothing"
by Dietmar » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:52 pm
Nice board,
question is only WHEN you can buy it

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info. ... etail.html

Dietmar
by clive » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:39 pm
Rene_is_I wrote:Since when is it not proper to discuss other boards on this forum?

Considering that (literally) over half of the OP's posts start along these lines:
"See the cubieboard:"
"Worth noting cubieboard"
"See the cubieboard:"
"Consider the cubieboard:"
"It's missing the cubieboard:"
"[the cubieboard] is looking awesome. "
"The most promising [is] the cubieboard."

I'm pretty sure that discussion of other boards is in fact allowed ;)
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by johnnyvibrant » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:43 pm
I've purchased a lot of android tablets from china, pogoplugs and other such hardware...and i can say from personal experience the success of each (or lack of) has been 100% about the community supporting it. This is why the raspberry pi is currently doing very well this and other community support sites are fantastic and long may it stay so...although (and again from personal experience) this can completely change within a month.

Hardware really means very little, its the software that counts.
by pygmy_giant » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:52 pm
Power consumption is not mentioned in the specs at the top of the post. Judging by the relative size of the heat sink , the Cubieboard might not be best suited to mobile applications.
by cyrano » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:07 pm
jamesh wrote:TBH, I reckon we should just start deleting all these posts about other boards - its just free advertising for them off the backs of the people putting in the effort here, and reduces Raspi sales. You know, the ones that's a charity.

I really hope you're joking here.

Shouldn't a non-profit aimed at education at the very least be open to discussion? I really don't see why these posts should be censored. How about peer review? :(
by Lob0426 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:27 pm
If this topic was in the General section of the Forum I would probably agree with James. It is in the Off topic area. If it was not a discussion, but a person placing "free advertising", in someones else forum I definitely would agree with James.

So the question would be is @rvalles connected to the Cubieboard or just someone that liked its specifications?

There have been a number of different boards that have been mentioned in the Raspberry Pi forum. None of them have been blatant advertising as far as I can tell, so far.

I own a Panda Board as well as 5 Raspberry Pi's. I may decide to buy other boards also. The foundation will not really suffer from this as I have bought 7 Raspberry Pi's (I have given 2 away). So my discussing other boards, as long as I am not "promoting" someone elses board, will probably have no real effect to the foundation!

Also this thread is not really that "hot" so its overall impact is pretty low in my opinion. Assuming I am allowed an opinion! :lol:
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with 512MB
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!
by 2bit » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:04 am
And to think I was reprimanded for calling the gcw thread spam :lol: :cry: .
Of course I WAS overstepping by calling it that but still .