SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

488 posts   Page 16 of 20   1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
by castalla » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:35 pm
It must be how your LMS is configured - mine plays R5 fine.
by Cut-Throat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:32 pm
Trixster wrote:Speaking of SqueezeLite (which is brilliant btw), is there a way to get it to play radio streams, such as bbc 5 live when using the TuneIn Radio app in LMS? At the moment it just says that the stream is unsupported.

I had no trouble using internet radio with the Pi, when I used the favorites on mysqueezebox.com - I just used the URL of the radio stream and added it to my favorites and then on LMS just selected it and it played just fine.
by Trixster » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:28 am
It seems to be 48kps streams which are the issue. I can't find a way to get the TuneIn Radio app to let me select a different stream (such as 96kps) like the ipad app can. 96kps streams from the Radio tab in LMS seem to play ok on SqueezeLite.
by Cut-Throat » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 pm
I have my Pi set up and it plays well with Squeezelite. I changed the name of the Pi on LMS to show up as R-Pi --- I noticed that on MSB.com that it still shows up as SqueezeLite..

Not a big deal but is there any way to change this on MSB.com?
by Cut-Throat » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:47 pm
Also, Is there a way to hook the Pi up to a DAC? ....I see that people are doing this, but from what I understand the Pi only has digital output from the HDMI cable?

So what's the trick here?
by truehl » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:03 pm
Please take a look here:
viewtopic.php?p=230501#p230501
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de
by Cut-Throat » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:11 pm
truehl wrote:Please take a look here:

OK, so it appears that you need to buy another piece of hardware to get the USB Dac to work? Am I correct?

I already have a quality DAC that has a USB input. Is there anyway to connect the stock Pi to my existing DAC? It seems that there is only digital output via the HDMI port on the Pi, so I am guessing that I would have to use this output into my DAC ?
by drgeoff » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:47 am
Cut-Throat wrote:
truehl wrote:Please take a look here:

OK, so it appears that you need to buy another piece of hardware to get the USB Dac to work? Am I correct?

I already have a quality DAC that has a USB input. Is there anyway to connect the stock Pi to my existing DAC? It seems that there is only digital output via the HDMI port on the Pi, so I am guessing that I would have to use this output into my DAC ?

It is hard to understand your two questions.

1. If you have a suitable DAC you do not need another piece of hardware.

2. There are three ways to get digital audio from the RPi:
2.1 A USB device.
2.2 An HDMI device
2.3. The more recent versions of the RPi have some changes in the GPIO header area which make it much easier to obtain PCM or I2S signals. See under 'Additional I/O Expansion' at http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/tag/rev2.
by steves999 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:33 pm
I'm wondering about the possibility of playing 24/96 flac files using a rpi with squeezelite and an external usb dac? I wouldn't use the same rpi as the server - just dedicate one to playback. Does anyone do it and does it work? Or am I in the wring place for this question?!
by Cut-Throat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:53 pm
drgeoff wrote:It is hard to understand your two questions.

let's try this.

I have a quality DAC that has inputs for a variety of digital connections. USB, SPDIF, Optical.

The Pi has digital audio output on it's HDMI connection. Is there any way to just get the audio from the pi's HDMI output into my DAC?
by drgeoff » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:04 pm
Cut-Throat wrote:
drgeoff wrote:It is hard to understand your two questions.

let's try this.

I have a quality DAC that has inputs for a variety of digital connections. USB, SPDIF, Optical.

The Pi has digital audio output on it's HDMI connection. Is there any way to just get the audio from the pi's HDMI output into my DAC?

Yes there are items which will extract the audio from HDMI. An example is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-4x1-HIFI ... 3a7cb09cff which includes a 4 input HDMI switch. The audio is available as SPDIF (both optical and coax) and as analogue 2 channel.

It may be possible to connect your existing DAC directly to one of the RPi's USB sockets.

The PCM2704 device mentioned by truehl connects by USB to the RPi and has SPDIF optical and coax outputs.

And it may be possible to make a relatively simple interface attached to the GPIO pins I mentioned above to obtain a SPDIF output. I have not studied that option.
by Cut-Throat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:13 pm
OK, Thanks; and Thanks for the Link....

I did connect the USB from the Pi into my USB port on the DAC, but there was no sound. I was not to surprised as the Pi FAQ indicates that there is only audio on the 3.5 mm jack and the HDMI connection.
by MyLastWord » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:19 am
1st time poster on Rpi forum. Thanks to Thomas I got my Squeezeplug/Squeezeslave up and running.
Output to (Cheap) USB DAC (MuseAudio on ebay) is very good.

The reason I choose SqueezeSlave, because I got an 2x16 LCD hookup to it and show 'Now Playing' on 1 line and title(artist) scrolling on second line. However, the only way to make it show info on the LCD only if I (ssh) start "squeezeslave -l" (option l for LCDd) on command line. I can't autostart it by adding this option on /etc/defaul/squeezeslave.

Is there anyway to overcome this? Also, how can I change it so it show Artist on 1 line and Title on another line, instead of 'Now Playing' on line 1?

Thanks
by drgeoff » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:02 am
Cut-Throat wrote:OK, Thanks; and Thanks for the Link....

I did connect the USB from the Pi into my USB port on the DAC, but there was no sound. I was not to surprised as the Pi FAQ indicates that there is only audio on the 3.5 mm jack and the HDMI connection.

It often requires some modification of /etc/asound.conf to get sound out of USB sound cards connected to the RPi. I haven't got my head around that stuff yet so don't ask me. :)

However you should at least try this with your USB DAC running on a Squeezeplug RPi.

At the command prompt type: alsamixer

Then the F6 key should cycle the on-screen control panel around the available sound devices. Ensure that the volume is not muted on the relevant slider of your DAC.
by castalla » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:29 am
This thread now has almost 400 replies - it's becoming almost impossible to backtrack and find nuggets of information.

I suggest that somebody starts a new specific thread dealing with Squeezeplug - Squeezelite audio output details, tips, solutions ... ?
by Cut-Throat » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:17 pm
drgeoff wrote:However you should at least try this with your USB DAC running on a Squeezeplug RPi.

At the command prompt type: alsamixer

Then the F6 key should cycle the on-screen control panel around the available sound devices. Ensure that the volume is not muted on the relevant slider of your DAC.

I did try this and a screen came up and with a couple items. I selected both and got no sound. It also has an option to key in a DAC name...

I don't think that a 'Sound Card' is the same device as a DAC, and I think this option is expecting a Sound Card......But I am completely guessing here.
by MyLastWord » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:06 am
Cut-Throat wrote:OK, Thanks; and Thanks for the Link....

if you have /etc/asound.conf, create a backup and try this in /etc/asound.conf. It work for me with my USB DAC.

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
}

ctl.dmixer {
type hw
card 0
}
by Cut-Throat » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:37 pm
MyLastWord wrote:if you have /etc/asound.conf, create a backup and try this in /etc/asound.conf. It work for me with my USB DAC.

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
}

ctl.dmixer {
type hw
card 0
}

OK !! ...... I am totally shocked that this actually Worked !!

Mostly because I have never coded anything in linux.

I was extra careful, and it worked the first time !! Thanks much!
by Cut-Throat » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:40 pm
I do have one question if I go on mysqueezebox.com, I see a squeezelite under my players. Is there any way to change this to another name. Like R-Pi for instance. This is what I changed the name of my Pi to.

It always says that SqueezeLite is Not connected, so that I can not change the name of it.
by castalla » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:45 pm
Cut-Throat wrote:I do have one question if I go on mysqueezebox.com, I see a squeezelite under my players. Is there any way to change this to another name. Like R-Pi for instance. This is what I changed the name of my Pi to.

It always says that SqueezeLite is Not connected, so that I can not change the name of it.

viewtopic.php?p=235976#p235976
by Cut-Throat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:31 am

I may have a simpler question than this thread addresses. So, let me ask this another way.

I have noticed that when I get my other Squeezeboxes connected to MSB.com, I can change the name of them on the website. Is that possible with the Pi?

I have already changed the name of my Pi to R-Pi via another Squeezebox Touch with Settings>Choose Player>Player Name. And this name shows up just fine on LMS on my Laptop.
by castalla » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:23 am
It seems that connecting non-squeezebox verified players to mysb.com is hit'n'miss.
by Cut-Throat » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:06 pm
I noticed a problem with the Pi streaming music from the USB port into a DAC. There is a noticeable hiss coming from the right channel. As soon as I put my squeezebox touch in my system the hiss went away.

I then tired the analog output from the Pi and there was no hiss there either. So, the problem is with using the USB port on the Pi as a digital output.

I should mention that I have 104db Horn speakers and SET amplifiers, so the hiss may not be noticeable on lower efficiency speakers.
by truehl » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:06 pm
Hi,
I like to inform you that there will be a small delay for the new release SqueezePlug 6. The reason for this is that I had some problems with SqueezeLite, a player for SqueezeBox Server (LMS). It took me 2 days to figure it out!

The good thing about this is that I learned a lot about internal an external sound cards and DACs you hopefully also find useful. I got a branch of external USB sound devices running and I like to include some scripts to configure them in an easy way.

So that will take some more time, but I think it's worth waiting. The last days I saw a lot of you struggling with sound issues.

So I hope I'll be ready the next days, but I will be a related X-MAS present.

Merry X-MAS,
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de
by steves999 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:16 pm
Thanks Thomas, like a lot of people here I'm really looking forward to this.
Having said that, I also really appreciate all the work you're putting into this and hope you'll also take plenty of time off to be with your loved ones. As important as this is, other things come first!
Have a wonderful holiday season.
Steve