Acer Aspire One A110 keyboard for rpi

8 posts
by brickZA » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:13 pm
Hi,

I'm looking to build an rpi into a defunct Acer Aspire A110L case. I've found a suitable screen controller that also has dvi in: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-controller- ... 3f1a5e2913

But I would also like to use the keyboard that came with the Aspire One. Does anyone know where I can get specs on the keyboard? Does it use USB or good old AT/PS2 electrical signalling? And I guess the same question applies to the trackpad.
by ait » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:43 pm
brickZA wrote:I've found a suitable screen controller that also has dvi in:

Are you shure?
For Controller:
Input: VGA
LVDS interface: 40 Pin
Power input: 12V DC, 4A

Notebook keyboards needed a keybordcontroller, you can't connetct it to the raspi.
Touchpads mostly use PS/2.
by brickZA » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:28 am
ait wrote:
brickZA wrote:I've found a suitable screen controller that also has dvi in:

Are you shure?

Oh, it seems I posted the wrong link. This one has DVI: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-controller- ... 41686d61f6

ait wrote:Notebook keyboards needed a keybordcontroller, you can't connetct it to the raspi.
Touchpads mostly use PS/2.

IOW, the keyboard doesn't speak a standard protocol? Do you know where one could get specs on the keyboard protocol? Is it generally similar between brands/models, or is it likely to be completely custom?

Thanks
Neilen
by ait » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:59 am
The keyboards are only matrixes of buttons.
AFAIK there is no standard.
by kghunt » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:21 am
Interesting.. I have a busted aa1 (motherboard). The keyboard shouldn't be too hard just time consuming to maps the keys. Once the keys are mapped its just a case of making a driver maybe with and atmel chip to interface with it. The screen is the big issue.
by brickZA » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:47 pm
kghunt wrote:Interesting.. I have a busted aa1 (motherboard). The keyboard shouldn't be too hard just time consuming to maps the keys. Once the keys are mapped its just a case of making a driver maybe with and atmel chip to interface with it. The screen is the big issue.

What Atmel chip would that be? I have in the mean time been looking for USB keyboards with broken keys so that I can steal their controllers, but it may be easier to do it with a new chip :)

Thanks
Neilen
by istavrak » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:06 pm
Hello!

Did you find finally any hardware to connect the acer aspire one keyboard and monitor with rpi?
I had the same idea and I am investigating the feasibility of it.

thanks!
by brickZA » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:28 am
Hi,

The monitor works fine with the product from the second ebay link that I pasted. We have not yet tried to use the keyboard, since we have not really been able to find a good way of breaking out the keyboard connector. We also realized that the rpi is actually to thick to fit in the Aspire 1 casing without modification.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers
Neilen