Please be gentle with me :-)

14 posts
by nebdy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:16 am
OK I am relatively new here and a little daunted by the discussions going on here.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

I have my PI (b) and would like to be able to grab an image that I can boot my PI to provide both

1) A media centre (I don't need PVR)
2) Apple airplay Video and Audio
3) NFS/SMB mount ability to my NAS
4) iphone interface for remote control

Is there such a beast out there yet?

What are the closest to this if not?

Thanks for looking
by BadBoyBubby » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:00 am
1. XBMC is the media center software available currently in three flavors
openelec
xbian
raspbmc
all are still very much in development but are generally working and useable.

2. apple airplay I believe is working but again still in development so may not be 100%

3. is supported within XBMC

4. google XBMC iphone remote control.

Welcome to raspberry pi have fun :)

Bubby
by jaromanda » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:45 am
BadBoyBubby wrote:1. XBMC is the media center software available currently in three flavors
openelec
xbian
raspbmc

openelec - easiest to use - not sure of airplay status though
xbian - site is down at the moment ... happens a lot ... I like their distro almost as much as openelec
raspbmc - don't bother, the install procedure should be idiot proof - maybe I'm beyond "idiot", 6 attempts and 6 fails at install. Plus the "architect" of raspbmc is very quick to take pot shots at the other two distros - even if he's wrong. I'd steer clear of raspbmc until it, and it's maintainer, mature more
I now own 2 RPi - does that mean I own a circumference?
by nebdy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:22 pm
Hi both

Great responces, openelec & xbian for starters it is then

by jaromanda » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:29 pm
take what I say about raspbmc with a pinch of salt ... it may be that I'm a superior idiot :D
by numanoids » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:29 pm
jaromanda wrote:take what I say about raspbmc with a pinch of salt ... it may be that I'm a superior idiot :D

Its also been my experience that raspbmc has been problematic. I live in hope though that the problems I'm having with performance may be sorted out soon with newer XBMC & Raspbmc builds so will try them again in the future no doubt but for me, Xbian gives the best balance of performance and build I can manipulate more, too.
by rey » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:54 pm
jaromanda wrote:
BadBoyBubby wrote:1. XBMC is the media center software available currently in three flavors
openelec
xbian
raspbmc

openelec - easiest to use - not sure of airplay status though
xbian - site is down at the moment ... happens a lot ... I like their distro almost as much as openelec
raspbmc - don't bother, the install procedure should be idiot proof - maybe I'm beyond "idiot", 6 attempts and 6 fails at install. Plus the "architect" of raspbmc is very quick to take pot shots at the other two distros - even if he's wrong. I'd steer clear of raspbmc until it, and it's maintainer, mature more

Oh, the irony!
by jaromanda » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:39 pm
rey wrote:
jaromanda wrote:raspbmc - don't bother, the install procedure should be idiot proof - maybe I'm beyond "idiot", 6 attempts and 6 fails at install. Plus the "architect" of raspbmc is very quick to take pot shots at the other two distros - even if he's wrong. I'd steer clear of raspbmc until it, and it's maintainer, mature more

Oh, the irony!

I fail to see any irony
by numanoids » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:55 am
jaromanda wrote:
rey wrote:
jaromanda wrote:raspbmc - don't bother, the install procedure should be idiot proof - maybe I'm beyond "idiot", 6 attempts and 6 fails at install. Plus the "architect" of raspbmc is very quick to take pot shots at the other two distros - even if he's wrong. I'd steer clear of raspbmc until it, and it's maintainer, mature more

Oh, the irony!

I fail to see any irony

I'm glad you posted that as I didn't get it either.
by TeamRowly » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:20 am
I think the irony that was being referred to is thus:
jaronmanda is slating the "architect" of RaspBMC for taking pot shots at the other distros and calling him immature and yet he is doing more or less the same thing about RaspBMC by telling the OP not to bother with RaspBMC.

If this is not the irony that is being referred to, then I am also at a loss.

For what it is worth, I am currently using RaspBMC without any issue and it installed first time without any problems. This is in no way intended as a sleight against jaronmanda - just my personal experience.

I had issues with distros that other people raved about, and I discovered that the power supply I was using was a bit flaky. I used it 'charge' my phone overnight only to discover the next morning that my phone battery was as flat as a pancake!
I have also encountered temperamental SD cards - works with some distros, but not others.

TTFN
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift, and that is why it is called The Present
by worm » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:50 am
I'm currently using OpenElec and it meets all those requirements, though I'm not sure about the AirPlay issue - not really tried it.

Certainly it mounts my NFS shares from the NAS and plays back without issues, and there is an iPhone app for remote control.
by nebdy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:09 pm
OK XBian is up and running, nas attached, iPhone remote perfect, playback great. Few problems with AirPlay. Recognised but not displaying.

Really liking this guys.

A big thanks
by hydose » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:10 pm
I can confirm Airplay on Openelec ("stabliest" of all the three distros for me)
by toxibunny » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:38 pm
BERRYBOOT
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...