How to install/ build/ play Quake 3....

149 posts   Page 4 of 6   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
by Childsey » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:29 am
Set it all up as per the instructions and the suggested amendments in the replies. I am getting asked for a CD key but I just clicked through. Is this correct? Should I get a CD key prompt?

Thanks
by Stolen Goods » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:49 am
I unfortunately have been having the same problems as others before me with the "sudo /.ioquake3.arm" command not registering as a command. Can anyone please supply an answer?
Defeating the 6KiB profile image limit since 2013.
(Guess who and I'll change it to something else!)
by Pihkal » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:40 am
You don't need a cd-key for the demo.

If you can't run the game (command not found) go to the folder were ioquake3.arm is located and type:
Code: Select all
sudo chmod +x ioquake3.arm

Now try to run the game again,it should work.

Greets
by 6677 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:40 am
I did sudo apt-get install git gcc build-essential libsdl1.2-dev on my pi. It came up with a message about the following packages being installed and if I want to proceed to which I put "Y". It then returned

Temporary failure resolving "mirrordirector.rasbian.org"

For each of the packages above.

How do I fix this. I'm running rasbian wheezy on a 512mb pi connected to internet via ethernet (Midori seems to work fine so obviously its connected).
by 6677 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:18 pm
Ok, solved the previous error by "sudo apt-get update" and then running the command again, then I was able to clone the git repo and then edited the build.sh.

Now when I do ./build.sh I get an error about: "No such file or directory I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads: No such file or directory"

Anyone else having this issue?
Or seeming as it appears to be a dodgy build.sh has anyone got a working build.sh as it may well be an error in mine, the screen I'm using cuts tons of stuff off the edge of the screen (both sides) and then doesnt let me adjust it or respond to me resizing it or anything (thats what you get on cheap tesco sets I guess).
by SN4T14 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:00 pm
6677, your includes line is wrong, it should be exactly like this:

INCLUDES="-I/opt/vc/include -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads"
by 6677 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:49 pm
I knew it would be something stupid like that. I'll have to get the pi setup again later and give it another shot.
by Redyam » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:04 pm
Can I just say, thank you for the guide. I followed your instructions, and downloaded the pak files into the right place unzipped, and it worked perfectly!

I was fragging away on my raspberry pi. It is quite awesome that this is possible, I guess you could organise a LAN party with the smallest, cheapest computers ever.
by 6677 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:49 pm
Checked and rechecked my build.sh. My includes line is exactly correct. Still same error.

Checked the files, sure enough. The file does not exist yet everything else is there. Reran git, still not there.
by malakai » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:02 pm
What image did you originally download. I believe cd /opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads
is part of Raspbian itself can you run that what does it say.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by 6677 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:06 pm
Hunted around the contents of my SD card for a bit.

See attachment for my results.

Still no luck though, I get the same errors about no file or directory.

EDIT: ninja'd by someone suggesting the exact same thing
by 6677 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:09 pm
ffs, image wont attach, no error, just no image in post and then when I hit edit the attachment is gone.

Well

cd'ed into the correct directory no problems. LS returns the following files:
  • vcos_futex_mutex.h
  • vcos_platform.h
  • vcos_platform_types.h

So clearly the directory exists

I am running the 2012-10-28 wheezy rasbian. done a sudo apt-get update before trying anything of course.
by malakai » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:19 pm
If you can CD into the folder then it exists I would suspect your line is not like this:

INCLUDES="-I/opt/vc/include -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads"

That is all I can think of if you can cd to the folder and when you run it it says the folder does not exist that's all that comes to mind.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by 6677 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:27 pm
I feel retarded. For some reason there is a \ in there instead of /. Now its slowly churning through a load of stuff which I'm not even going to pretend to understand and I am going to have some dinner
by joaoesquecido » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:49 pm
Using the Courier New font for commands may lead to ambiguity. It took me a while to understand that you meant "libsdl1.2-dev" and not "libsdll.2-dev".

Still in the middle of the process. Will post back when/if successful.

Thanks
by joaoesquecido » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:16 am
Hi, Raspberry Pi Guy,

I've followed the instructions and everything seemed to go smoothly (except for some confusion while trying to understand where the PAK files went). However, there is no file named ioquake3.arm on my /home/pi/quake3/build/release-linux-arm folder =(

I've searched through some folders and I've noticed that some of them are empty, for example:
    /quake3/build/release-linux-arm/baseq3/vm
    /quake3/build/release-linux-arm/clientsmp
    /quake3/build/release-linux-arm/tools/asm
    /quake3/build/release-linux-arm/tools/cpp
    /quake3/build/release-linux-arm/tools/etc
    /quake3/build/release-linux-arm/tools/lburg
    /quake3/build/release-linux-arm/tools/rcc

I also noticed that there are two folders with similar structure and contents (except for the pak*.pk3 files):
    /home/pi/quake3/build/release-linux-arm/baseq3
and
    /home/pi/quake3/build/release-linux-arm/missionpack

Is this expected? Any ideas on what may have gone wrong? Sorry for not being able to provide many details it's one of my first experiments with compiling, building and, for what it's worth, Linux...

Thank you for your patience,

Joao
by 6677 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:00 pm
the mission pack folder will look the same as baseq3.

What your compiling here is actually the ioquake3 engine (which is a fork of the id tech 3 engine powering quake 3 with some bug fixes and improvements, for all intents and purposes its a giant patch to id tech 3).

The id tech 3/ioquake3 engines don't have any game content included with them. Instead what happens is they search any folders in the main directory (the build-release-arm one) for something with valid pak0.pak files in. If there is a folder matching then it treats that folder as a game and tries to use the contents of pak0.pak to tell it what other files it should be looking for in order to complete the game.

When a game has loaded it will show a button on the main menu labelled mods, if you click that then it will list all other valid game files it has found and you can restart the engine with any of that content instead.

baseq3 happens to be the folder for quake 3 arena and its demo version.
missionpack I'm not really sure on but on my desktops openarena install it just seems to be that if I click the mods button and load mission pack it seems to be a normal free for all deathmatch with a few maps on it, not really sure.
On my pi and my desktop I have the baseoa folder too which contains the content for the openarena game (which works nicely on the pi). Its just an open source clone of q3a running on the same engine.
by p18902340 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:12 am
i have tried many guides across the net and no matter what i do i allways get only a small 20x20 pixel window with nothing in it. console is fine however. i own quake3 so can someone please upload a version working for the official image raspbian? if it only contains the demo paks is ok i just want to play the game.. also many people say that its a great way to test if your pi run stable..

please help!
by efflandt » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:46 am
This is the local consolidated guide http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianQuake3

When you say "window" you are not trying to run quake3 in X are you? It should run full screen in a normal text console. The in game settings to change video resolution do not actually do anything.
by p18902340 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:39 am
does that mean i have to run it without the x session?
by malakai » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:58 am
Definitely don't run X it will just eat up more resources just login and run the game. If in X logout.

I haven't see the small screen issue if it is built only when I downloaded someone else s files.
by SnakeSnoke » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:27 pm
Hi,
I've just set up a clean RasPi-Installation with the newest "weezy"-image from the website. I followed your guide step for step via SSH (putty).

I get these errors at the end of the compilation process:

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [build/release-linux-arm/ioquake3.arm] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/pi/quake3'
make[1]: *** [targets] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pi/quake3'
make: *** [release] Error 2
by juppiter89 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:38 pm
Hi guys,
I successfully compiled Quake 3, but when I start it I get
GLimp_Init() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

I have already updated to the last firmware with rpi-update. What can I do? Thanks :)
by juppiter89 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:31 pm
Ok I resolved ;)

SnakeSnoke wrote:Hi,
I've just set up a clean RasPi-Installation with the newest "weezy"-image from the website. I followed your guide step for step via SSH (putty).

I get these errors at the end of the compilation process:

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [build/release-linux-arm/ioquake3.arm] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/pi/quake3'
make[1]: *** [targets] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pi/quake3'
make: *** [release] Error 2

Hi, I had the same trouble, make sure you have 'libopenal1' library installed
sudo apt-get install libopenal1

you should solve it :)
by SnakeSnoke » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:09 pm
It works! :-)
Just sound is not working. Any more tips?