archlinux-hf-2012-09-18.img won't boot

28 posts   Page 2 of 2   1, 2
by sdjf » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:56 am
pepedog wrote: I'm going to make new rootfs tomorrow. It will be ext3 like older image.... you can edit that from your PDA.

That is so, so cool, thank you. It will be so much easier than what I am having to do right now. And compatible for other people's systems as well. Surely I am not the only Pi owner who doesn't have the latest PC hanging around to do things with, whatever the reasons may be.

pepedog wrote:If you can't login, alt ctrl del and yanking power at right point might be safer.

What do you mean by "at the right point?" Right after the reboot starts before much has had a chance to happen? I think it would take me a few seconds to yank power, probably too long?

Assuming DEL is the same as my backspace, have not found CTL-ALT-DEL to do anything. But that may change when get new keyboard in a few weeks.

I hope this new image will work better for everyone!
FORUM TIP: To view just one person's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then click on "Search User's Posts." || This Pi owner is running Arch on 512MB Model B.
by TrouDeBozouls » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:07 pm
TrouDeBozouls wrote:Thanks, peterhajdu, I had the same problem but your recipe worked for me. Pi now booting!

Update: Problem is that I have to do this (overwrite the boot partition) EVERY time I want to (re)boot to get the Pi to work. Same thing with poweroff - replug power and nothing happens. It seems something gets broken during shutdown ... any ideas as to what this might be?
by sdjf » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:32 pm
TrouDeBozouls wrote:
Update: Problem is that I have to do this (overwrite the boot partition) EVERY time I want to (re)boot to get the Pi to work. Same thing with poweroff - replug power and nothing happens. It seems something gets broken during shutdown ... any ideas as to what this might be?

You could run an md5sum or some similar command on all files in your boot sector that does not work, and also run it on a freshly rewritten boot sector, and compare those md5sums as a first step to see if any of the boot sector files got corrupted. And also run an fsck of the boot sector that does not work to see what you get.

If everything in boot partition comes out clean then there may be some problem in the file system itself.

Could this be a power supply issue or issue with an incompatible SD card?
FORUM TIP: To view just one person's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then click on "Search User's Posts." || This Pi owner is running Arch on 512MB Model B.