Google Music

15 posts
by Chinasaur » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:10 pm
Hey guys, what are you using to play Google Music? Does midori work? How do you close midori if you're running it in its own X without a window manager?

Any other options? Nuvola Player needs Gnome and probably other stuff. Is Chromium working with the latest raspbian or Fedora 17 remix?

What about terminal only options? I tried using https://github.com/simon-weber/Unoffici ... -Music-API to pull the stream URL and loading that into MPD and it worked, so it is definitely doable...
by JeremyF » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:16 pm
What is the web interface made of? Just HTML 5? If so, you could try running non-hard-float Squeeze and install Chromium (or compile Chromium yourself for armhf)
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge
by Chinasaur » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:40 pm
Thanks!
JeremyF wrote:What is the web interface made of? Just HTML 5?

I'm not really sure what it needs. I'm sure Chromium has everything needed, but not sure if there's a lower bar that would work. Will look into it.
JeremyF wrote:If so, you could try running non-hard-float Squeeze and install Chromium (or compile Chromium yourself for armhf)

I saw there's an existing build of Chromium, but looked like only for an earlier version of raspbian. I guess that's the soft-float Squeeze you're referring to?
by Chinasaur » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:50 pm
Chinasaur wrote:I'm not really sure what it needs. I'm sure Chromium has everything needed, but not sure if there's a lower bar that would work. Will look into it.

Sorry, obviously the major question is whether flash is needed. According to Google's official specs it is. But I'll poke around anyway. Also, would gnash be a possibility?
by Chinasaur » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:41 pm
Chinasaur wrote:Sorry, obviously the major question is whether flash is needed. According to Google's official specs it is. But I'll poke around anyway. Also, would gnash be a possibility?

Ah, but there has been a labs HTML5 playback version out for a few months now.
by ghans » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:51 pm
Tried gnash ?
AFAIK it works , but is *slow* .

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by Chinasaur » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:17 pm
ghans wrote:Tried gnash ?
AFAIK it works , but is *slow* .
ghans

Cool, I'll take a look, anything I could try gnash with without Chromium?

I see that iOS devices had a special mobile web interface for Google Music released in 2011. I guess this probably requires HTML5?
by ghans » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:21 pm
HTML5 should be supported , only Video doesn't work.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by Chinasaur » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:21 am
ghans wrote:HTML5 should be supported , only Video doesn't work.

In Chromium you mean? I was also wondering if there is another simpler browser that works with gnash that I could try?
by Chinasaur » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:12 am
Finally got around to trying the chromium-browser package. I have Google music set to use HTML5 rather than Flash, but it still complained about not having Flash. The whole thing is very slow and completely locked up quickly. Will post if I get any farther.

The Unofficial Google Music API by Simon Weber seemed to work when I tried pulling some streaming URIs and playing them through MPC. Too bad no official API.

Sorry I have so many questions; I don't have access to my Pi all the time, so can't just try things some of the time when that would otherwise be the obvious way.
by KTWS » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:06 am
I use Bhodhi Linux and their repository includes the newest Midori (v0.4.7) which streams music using the HTML5 version of Grooveshark (html5.grooveshark.com) and the HTML5 version of Google Play Music (click the top right gear icon, select 'music labs' and enable HTML5 Audio).

As Bhodhi is basically Raspbian Wheezy hardfp with a rather wonderful Enlightenment (E17) desktop built on top, adding the Bhodhi repositry to an official Raspbian build sources list should work fine (although i've not tested it).

Open your sources.list for editing:
Code: Select all
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Add the following at the end of the file:
deb http://packages.bhodhilinux.com/bhodhi/ debian stable

Update your sources feed to include the new repositry:
sudo apt-get update

Then install/update Midori:
sudo apt-get install midori
by szef » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:23 pm
hi KTWS
i'm looking for a way to listen to grooveshark with my Raspberry.

I just downloaded Bohi Linux here (http://www.bodhilinux.com/downloads_mobile.php), the latest version 0.4.7

Midori successfully open html5.grooveshark.com.
I can log me in, no problem. But when i try to listen a music, it just don't work.
The "loading gif" just turn for ever... :/

I miss something ?

Thank you !

EDIT : On chromium, the console tell, when i try to load a song : "Uncaugh Type Error : Object #xHTMLElement > has no method play ...

Why ? T_T
by Chinasaur » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:02 pm
Thanks for the tips; I'll try the new Midori. I've been running stuff in the matchbox window manager to streamline running GUI apps from a mostly console setup; works nicely.
by Chinasaur » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:09 pm
Okay, I tried a few things here.

First just updated the midori on my pi from the repo. Unfortunately I don't remember what it was before, but the new version in repo is 4.3. This seemed to "improve" things; GMusic gets a little farther in HTML5 mode but still gets stuck on the loading music step.

Second, I tried installing from Bodhi. I get this error after adding the source above and trying to update:
W: GPG error: http://packages.bhodhilinux.com debian InRelease: File /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/packages.bhodhilinux.com_bhodhi_dists_debian_InRelease doesn't start with a clearsigned message

Not quite the error I would expect if it's just a key issue, but I could try to apt-key the Bodhi key if I could find it...

Third I built midori 4.7 from source on my Pi and tried that. This gets further still, with the music loading succeeding but nothing happens when I try to play the music. Also it crashes sometimes. And the Grooveshark site above crashes it reliably. I haven't rebuilt with debugging symbols yet but maybe I'll try that. I assume 4.7 just doesn't have enough HTML5 support yet. Or perhaps it's an issue with the WebKit libs that are in the current raspbian versus what's available on Bodhi? I may try building a more bleeding edge midori too.

In any case, the whole thing is still too slow for my taste (running midori inside matchbox so I have minimal window management). I still lean toward some kind of console solution. I'll get to it when I'm done with Pandora/pianod futzing and my LIRC project...

Ideally would using the unofficial GMusic API to add the URLs to my MPD queue. The big downside is that AFAIK there isn't a way to get MPD to read the tags from the stream before it starts playing the stream, nor can you set the tags in MPD from some separate source like a separate query to GMusic. So without patching MPD I don't think I can get the GMusic URLs to show up in the queue with meaningful names? :(
by Chinasaur » Sat May 18, 2013 5:41 am
Just noticed this project: https://github.com/EnigmaCurry/GMusicFS
Seems like it's worth a try; if it works should provide smooth integration to MPD.