Availability of Raspberry Pi V2.0

38 posts   Page 2 of 2   1, 2
by michele.x » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:59 pm
kikoveza wrote:I ordered my Raspberry Pi at 12 September and received it at 18 September from Farnell UK (I live in Italy). Fast delivery, but I was disappointed because I received rev1 board! :evil:

Hello everybody. this is my first message.

I'm also from Italy. I made the order to Farnell on september 20th. Received today, and was a rev.2 board - Made in UK.
by michaelp » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:01 pm
I've just chatted to nice chap at Farnell.
Basically they are still receiving Rev.1s from Foxconn, so it's pot luck which you get sent and no idea how long they will still be arriving from China.
As I fail to see how they would not know their supply situation, I would guess they are still ordering from Foxconn inorder to meet demand.
by plugwash » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:31 pm
michaelp wrote:As I fail to see how they would not know their supply situation

My suspision is that the guys who are managing the Pi supply do have some idea how many 1.0 boards are still in the supply chain but the information isn't feeding down to the sales/customer service guys that us plebs can talk to.

Also due to delays, boxes getting stuck at the back of warehouses etc I suspect they probablly really don't know when they will have the 1.0 boards cleared out.
by jamesh » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:08 pm
Probably down to have a few boxes of PCB's in a random order in the warehouse - so pot luck until all the rev1 PCB's are used up.
by Mortimer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:37 pm
It is not surprising that information on how many rev.1 boards are still in the retail channel is hard to come by. No one would want to do an Osborne on their rev.1 stock?
by W. H. Heydt » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:21 pm
The last boards I received from Newark (US sub of Farnell) were Rev. 1 BUT they are the 0003 boards with 0 ohm resistors at F1 & F2 positions and no D14 diode. The only *practical* difference (at least for me) between those boards and Rev. 2 is the 1.8v separation (and I think that is the most important change) and the mounting holes (where the need will be locally determined...such as case design).

At this point, at least until March of next year, I only need a couple more Pis. Given the supply situation and the boards being shipped in the US, I'm going to wait until late October or early November to order them. If I get Rev. 1 0003 boards...no biggie, though I'd prefer Rev. 2 boards.
by brainsys » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:07 pm
I am guessing but I would put at least a tenner on it - that current supplies coming in from China are revision 1. Whereas Sony are revision 2.
Farnell are getting Sony plus either a backlog from China or to top up to demand. Hence the unpredictable mix.

RS are getting from China, hence Rev 1. They state November for Rev 2. This could be either when China switches to Rev 2 or RS switch to Sony. Or both.
Are the Chinese boards shipped or flown? That could also explain the delay at that end.

Hence while I would like to add to my original three. I think I will wait while the supply line flushes out. Or either confirm only Rev 2 boards are shipping.
by W. H. Heydt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:33 pm
brainsys wrote:RS are getting from China, hence Rev 1. They state November for Rev 2. This could be either when China switches to Rev 2 or RS switch to Sony. Or both.

From what has been said, including production volume, the Sony line appears be strictly contracted to Farnell. One presumes that once the supply of Rev. 1 PCBs is exhausted, the rest of the lines will start producing Rev. 2.

Hence while I would like to add to my original three. I think I will wait while the supply line flushes out. Or either confirm only Rev 2 boards are shipping.

Basically what I'm doing, though the Version 0003 boards will work for what I'm doing with them. (Comes to that, a Version 0002 board does, too, and I have several of those.)
by mahjongg » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:45 pm
RS will start making rev 2.0 boards in three days, (on the first of October) and they do not have any rev 1 boards anymore in the pipeline!
by W. H. Heydt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:10 pm
mahjongg wrote:RS will start making rev 2.0 boards in three days, (on the first of October) and they do not have any rev 1 boards anymore in the pipeline!

While I'm happy to hear that, I am also withholding more "applause" until folks start saying they've gotten Rev. 2 boards from the US suppliers.
by SN » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:27 pm
One day... after 100 million ;-) Rev 2 boards have been made and sold and the world is a better place, Rev 1 boards will be collectors items and will command as much on ebay as they did in April/May this year ;-)
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by W. H. Heydt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:29 pm
SN wrote:One day... after 100 million ;-) Rev 2 boards have been made and sold and the world is a better place, Rev 1 boards will be collectors items and will command as much on ebay as they did in April/May this year ;-)

Agreed....no doubt about it. The rarer items with be Rev. 1 ECN 0003 boards, though.

And...someday, say, 30 years from now, possession of a working Pi will be rare, no matter what board revision it is (I suppose the real premium will be on a set of all board types...).
by kaspencer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:22 pm
Re. comments of availability of Revision 2:

Don't slag off RS too keenly. I ordered two Raspberry Pis from RS, now received, and both are Revision 2. I already had 2 x Revision 1 boards, 1 each from RS & Farnell both received back in June. The new boards, like the old ones, were however made in China. But the packaging was no longer a cardboard box, but a plastic box which, if slightly differently designed, could make a useful case.

One of my Revision 1s is now fully installed as a Media Centre (RaspBMC) with over 120Gbyte of my music & video onboard.
The other Revision 1 board is fully working as a webserver, delivering 700-1,100 hits per day, serving web pages, audio and video media files since it went online on 29th November 2012, so far totalling nearly 2Gbyte of data served.
My third RPi (a Revision 2 board) is being developed as a Domain Controller to replace my Windows Server 2003 R2 (but I'll then only be able to develop on LAMP, not on ASP.NET2 etc!)
My remaining board will be used for experimentation and development.

Happy Christmas

Ken
2x256Mb + 2x512Mb RPi, Eth'netLAN+Win2k3R2 svr, 40MbpsFTTC.
RaspBMC: 128G SD, K400 wl Kb+TPd, HD32tv&Rem.
RW'y webserver: 64G SD, Y-RK49 wl Kb+M, HannsG W24" screen
RW'y PDC & fileserver: as above + 2TB disc.
+RiscOSPi on 32G uSD.