Need assistance with tslib

25 posts
by dreamsforgotten » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:51 pm
I've downloaded tslib package as well as source. I've applied the egalax patch to the tslib source. When I moved into the created tslib folder and compiled it went smooth for a very long time then it spit out ...

[url="http://pastebin.com/ZqEESNge"]this[/url]

...Anyone familiar with this issue willing to lend a hand? Seems dpkg-gensymbols is the culprit but I don't understand why..
by dreamsforgotten » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:44 pm
Ok it turns out that if you delete the first symbols file right in the tslib-1.0 folder it compiles successful.

I can also tell you I got the pointer fixed, axes swapped, yaxes inverted, the calibration needs some fine tuning because the outer reaches of the screen can't be touched. That is very minor and the touchscreen is finally working the only issue now is. I did all this to boot up squeeze into XBMC and it seems XBMC doesn't read the evdev rules and ignores the values leaving my touchscreen useless once again...shm... Anyway if anyone needs an egalax touchscreen working with just squeeze I can assist with that.
by bugthing » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:32 pm
Hello, I found your posting (and your kind offer to help people) when searching if I can use a eGalax touch screen with my RaspberryPi.. so please can you tell me where to start?

Done so far:

Using a recent Raspbian image (wheezy), I have the following when doing a lsusb:
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0eef:0001 D-WAV Scientific Co., Ltd eGalax TouchScreen

I tried downloading from http://home.eeti.com.tw/web20/eGalaxTouchDriver/linuxDriver.htm and running "sudo ./setup.sh" .. but that says "Please update touch driver"

I tried installing libts-dev and libts-bin but that did not help (ts_calibrate says it can find ts_open?)

I am wondering:
Will this touch screen even work with a raspberry pi?
What steps do I have to do in order for it work?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer :)
by dreamsforgotten » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:07 pm
Ok, I finally got it working on debian squeeze. It still does not apply to exiting gdm and entering xbmc but the gdm screen my pointer is working. Basically you need to follow this guide http://blog.mosis.cl/2011/04/egalax-tsl ... -1004.html. This is almost enough to get it working, but the actual tweaking to invert y axis and swap x/y axes needs to be done in another file. After that you need to edit evdev rulesfile and add a section to the very bottom. Point to the touchscreen by name and change anything needed on your setup like swap axis and calibration. Here is a sample section:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "eGalax"
MatchProduct "eGalax"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "evdev"
Option "SwapAxes" "yes"
Option "InvertX" "1"
Option "InvertY" "1"

MatchProduct "eGalax" is the important port. After this mod my troubles were almost over. All I need now is two things to be finished. Finish calibrating for the size of my screen since right now the pointer won't reach the far corners. Alos none of this works running sbmc.
by dreamsforgotten » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:04 pm
bugthing wrote:Hello, I found your posting (and your kind offer to help people) when searching if I can use a eGalax touch screen with my RaspberryPi.. so please can you tell me where to start?

Done so far:

Using a recent Raspbian image (wheezy), I have the following when doing a lsusb:
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0eef:0001 D-WAV Scientific Co., Ltd eGalax TouchScreen

I tried downloading from http://home.eeti.com.tw/web20/eGalaxTouchDriver/linuxDriver.htm and running "sudo ./setup.sh" .. but that says "Please update touch driver"

I tried installing libts-dev and libts-bin but that did not help (ts_calibrate says it can find ts_open?)

I am wondering:
Will this touch screen even work with a raspberry pi?
What steps do I have to do in order for it work?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer :)

just noticed the last part of your issue. ts_calibrate says no ts_open. I got this as well following the guide I linked you to. One issue was that when I looked up the event the egalax touchscreen was working on it listed event3 event4 event5. I linked it to event3 the first time and that was just the mouse driver not the touchscreen. I got the same error. I switched it to event4 and ts_calibrate was up and running.
by bugthing » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:41 pm
thanks for your help :)

the tip about setting the ENV var worked and the ts_calibrate now works... but fails due to the fact I am having issues with the USB device

I can not seem to get the touchscreen to appear as an input event in /dev/input/eventX

dmesg gives me this:

usb 1-1.3: new low-speed USB device number 5 using dwc_otg
usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=0eef, idProduct=0001
usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 1-1.3: Product: USB TouchController
usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: eGalax Inc.

so I guess this proves it is plugged in and being recognized.

I fail pretty early in the guide as when I do lsmod I do NOT see 'usbhid' .. not sure if I should give lsmod a option, or if wheezy uses something else, .. or how I can install this "usbhid" (if that should be done)

Again any pointers would be most useful

tar :)
by dreamsforgotten » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:41 pm
Usbhid will show up as evdev
by bugthing » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:16 pm
ok, cool, thanks.. I have that then :)

I wonder why the device does not show up in /proc/bus/input/devices' ? .. the googling continues..

I guess I could try giving squeeze ago.. but with all the speed tweaks I would like to run Raspbian, which is wheezy ... do you know if there is squeeze image that has been tweaked for the raspberry pi somewhere?
by moony » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:25 pm
which file are you editing with the new section? I tried 99-input.rules but that has no effect. I found out the right "event" by looking in /dev/input/by-id/..
by dreamsforgotten » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:48 pm
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf

in arch linux armv6h it's in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
by moony » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:00 pm
thank you dreamsforgotten :)
by dreamsforgotten » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:52 pm
Np I'm working on this day and night, i put all my android development on hold but so far i can't calibrate the touch screen or click inside xbmc. I even tried a script that executes
Export sdl_mouse_relative=0 then launches xbmc reading of a bug in xbmc that changes to the default sdl mouse when xbmc is in fullscreen mode. The symptoms match up but it didn't fix the problem.
by moony » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:20 pm
I'm using wheezer not xbmc. Touchscreen (eGalax) was recognized out of the box but flipped. Now with the changes in the config file, it works right, but isn't calibrated right, maybe because I'm using overscan. Without overscan, though with the right resolution, some of the desktop or command line isn't visible.
Anyone knows how to calibrate?
by dreamsforgotten » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:28 pm
What's wheezer ? For calibration, since most build won't allow you to install xinput calibrator it's going to involve guessing. What monitor are you using 669? I can get you close
by moony » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:49 pm
sorry, I mean debian wheezy for raspberry pi :)
and the monitor: Lilliput 869GL-80NP/C 8" HD TFT.
Maybe we have to adjust the resolution to the overscan settings to get the correct touch-positions? But real calibration would be better.
by dreamsforgotten » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:48 pm
I've ran across your screens calibration a few times as well probably in an ubuntu thread. Search your screen and calibration it's bound to pop up and only require minor tweaking on your machine. I've built xinput calibrator from the aur on arch and it works so worse case put arch on another sd install it, calibrate screen, then transfer that to wheezy
by weeboxx » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:16 am
I seem to have the same problem with dpkg-gensymbols as you, dreamsforgotten. My compile was fine until i hit that error. I do not see a symbols file to delete in the tslib-1.0 folder. Any more direction would be helpful. Thanks
by dreamsforgotten » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:37 pm
Sorry, all I did was delete the one in the tslib1.0 folder. If your folder doesn't have that file already then I can't help much. Basically I just deleted the first file in hopes of getting past the error, I didn't actually know it would work lol.
by seeyou » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:33 pm
Hello,
This weeks i trying so hard to get my touchscreen working on my raspberry. I fased the same problems as “bugthing”. I have a Egalax touchscreen. I my lsusb I can see the touchscreen. In the proc/bus/input/devices there is no touchscreen. When I install the eGTouch ARM drivers. I get the message: Please update touch driver.
I folow the Guide from the eGTouch ARM . I enabled
these modules in the kernel EVDEV UINPUT HIDRAW. Still no touchscreen.

I install xinput_calibrator

I the lsmod there is no usbtouchscreen module.

I tested the screen in in widnows 7 and it worked

What can I do more. Please help me…
by expilu » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:17 pm
I'm in exactly the same point (having tried the same as the previous poster "seeyou"). I'm in a dead end too :oops:
by bboyandru » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:22 am
Hi all!

Glad to tell you that I have found the solution for calibrating the touchscreen for both Xserver and XBMC(which runs in framebuffer).
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbxRf8BejnY

Tutorial:
http://www.engineering-diy.blogspot.ro/ ... lax-7.html

Andrei
http://www.engineering-diy.blogspot.com
by dreamsforgotten » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:11 pm
bboyandru wrote:Hi all!

Glad to tell you that I have found the solution for calibrating the touchscreen for both Xserver and XBMC(which runs in framebuffer).
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbxRf8BejnY

Tutorial:
http://www.engineering-diy.blogspot.ro/ ... lax-7.html

Andrei

Thank you so much for this!!!! I see where I fell short, I compiled the new kernel and did quite a few steps as you have but I see where I fell short. My only issue now is the time to re do all of this again. Is there any chance you can upload the exact image you created? I can even provide the hosting for you if you don't have sufficient space yourself. You have finally cracked the code to the egalax touch screens. The particular one I'm using doesn't have an external controller, it's usb connected into the the HDMI cable (lilliput 669GL) but I'm sure this will work exactly the same.
by bugthing » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:00 pm

AWESOME! .. Thanks SO much for this!

I have not tried the XBMC part yet, but the touchscreen is now working sweet in LXDE,

FYI:
I tripped up during the kernel compile, coz I missed selecting the "USB Touchscreen" driver when configuring my kernel (using the gui thing)
I also had to calibrate my touchscreen twice and add 2 entries to my Xorg config
by ron47 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:22 am
Hello,

For to weeks, I’m trying to get my 8“ touchscreen running with my RasPi but without of success.
I have down loaded the image
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B__Rs5JF53-kckJyak1BVnBtTEE/edit
and surprise, it works!!!

Andrei: Thanks for this tutorial.

But I still have one problem:
I want to use the touch screen in LXDE only (without XBMC).

So I downloaded the actual image from here
http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads
and copy the Kernel
http://code.google.com/p/andrei-development/downloads/detail?name=kernel_3_6_11_eGalax_feb_2013.tar.gz
to my SD-Card.

After booting, I can’t find the device in /proc/bus/input/devices

What is the missing point?

Can some one help me please?

Ron
by ron47 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:06 am
Sorry, was my error. I did something wrong, replacing /lib/modules and /lib/firmware.
It is running now.

Ron