Win32DiskImager

22 posts
by skydiver28 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:26 am
Hiya,

I got Raspberry Pi few months ago, only now got time to use it. Downloaded the image file, trying to write the image to the SDCard, hit problem with the Win32DiskImager, Opened up the Win32DiskImager, select the file but the Device select letter is empty, so i can't select drive to write the image.

Any help in this matter would be most appreciated.
Thanks

Skydiver28
by Reider » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:42 am
Use a Windows PC and download Minitool Partition Wizard for free;

http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Parti ... 62200.html

Install it and put an installation program copy safe somewhere. Make sure all partitions are deleted on the SD Card using Minitool Partition Wizard. As you select one or more to delete you need to hit the apply button. Finally create a new Fat32 partition on the SD Card then hit Apply. Check it in "My Computer" and it should be listed. Next open win32 disk imager and it should also be listed in there. Continue from that point on.....

NOTE: You will lose anything stored on the card

Steve
by Jim JKla » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:59 am
It's probably your SD card reader I was on my second before it played ball for me.

Oddly enough the best one is a poundland special. ;)

The card may however need an inital Fat32 format and the easiest way to do that is stick it in a camera and use the camaras format option.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick
by alexeames » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:13 am
skydiver28 wrote:Hiya,

I got Raspberry Pi few months ago, only now got time to use it. Downloaded the image file, trying to write the image to the SDCard, hit problem with the Win32DiskImager, Opened up the Win32DiskImager, select the file but the Device select letter is empty, so i can't select drive to write the image.

Any help in this matter would be most appreciated.
Thanks

Skydiver28

This happens if you start win32diskimager before inserting the card/reader in the usb slot. If you already inserted it and it was recognised by windows (sometimes takes a minute or two) the problem lies elsewhere (card reader etc.)
My Pi uses 2 watts - what what? ---- HiRes early production Pi photos RS Front Back | Farnell Front Back
by skydiver28 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:18 pm
Thanks for all the replies. With the Win32DiskImager, shows none of the drives, it is completely blank. I tried inserting card reader with UBS first too, still is still blank. I know the card reader works, i use to download my camera SD card to PC. Any idea whats the problem is? thanks
by TJ Shickley » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:08 am
I've had the same problem. I downloaded Win32DiskImager 5.0 initially, but then put in 3.0.
It saw my SD card and the .img file, but after hitting WRITE, it gave a quick "green line" and then said "done". There was nothing written to the SD card.

I'm getting a little exasperated at this point.

I managed to get Demian to install on my PC in VirtualBox.
Looking for some guidance to do the install through that. I'm a serious Linux noob, but pretty geeky in some other areas.
by skydiver28 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:15 am
TJ Shickley wrote:I've had the same problem. I downloaded Win32DiskImager 5.0 initially, but then put in 3.0.
It saw my SD card and the .img file, but after hitting WRITE, it gave a quick "green line" and then said "done". There was nothing written to the SD card.

I'm getting a little exasperated at this point.

I managed to get Demian to install on my PC in VirtualBox.
Looking for some guidance to do the install through that. I'm a serious Linux noob, but pretty geeky in some other areas.

Its taking to long to just to get the software loaded on the SD card. I am going to get pre-loaded SD card now to save time.
by alexeames » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:37 am
skydiver28 wrote:Its taking to long to just to get the software loaded on the SD card. I am going to get pre-loaded SD card now to save time.

If I was in the UK I'd do it for you if you mailed me the SD card. Not back for another week though.
My Pi uses 2 watts - what what? ---- HiRes early production Pi photos RS Front Back | Farnell Front Back
by TJ Shickley » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:15 pm
Win32DiskImager problem solved. I bought a USB SD card reader. Plugged it in. Stuck in the sd card and DiskImager wrote raspian to it without hesitation.
It seems the built in SD card readers don't work as well as the aftermarket types. Anyway, no problems with the writing after that, the time it took notwithstanding.
by Jim JKla » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:16 pm
Jim JKla wrote:It's probably your SD card reader I was on my second before it played ball for me.

;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

by PaulCheffus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:29 pm
TJ Shickley wrote:Win32DiskImager problem solved. I bought a USB SD card reader. Plugged it in. Stuck in the sd card and DiskImager wrote raspian to it without hesitation.
It seems the built in SD card readers don't work as well as the aftermarket types. Anyway, no problems with the writing after that, the time it took notwithstanding.

Hi

It depends on how old the built in one is. The one in my old laptop running xp doesn't work with win32diskimager but the one in my newer windows 7 laptop does.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.
by danpeirce » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:14 am
Just thought I would add that our windows 7 laptop was able download images to SD cards but could not read the cards correctly to make backup images. It would appear to work but the resulting image file was only 57MB whick clearly was not a proper image file.

On a whim I tried doing the backup on a windows 7 netbook that is only a few months old and that worked. Once it was working the image files were reporting to be close to 8 GB which makes sense given that I am using 8 GB SD cards. I just wish I had switched over to the netbook sooner.
by skydiver28 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:03 am
alexeames wrote:
skydiver28 wrote:Its taking to long to just to get the software loaded on the SD card. I am going to get pre-loaded SD card now to save time.

If I was in the UK I'd do it for you if you mailed me the SD card. Not back for another week though.

Thanks for offer, I already ordered pre-load SD card. I am using XP maybe that could be the problem.
by Jim JKla » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:03 am
No it's not XP mine is fine (But I am running XP Pro I canot speak for it being a problem with XP Home ;)

by BondageMaster » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:37 pm
I got it. It seems that Win32DiskImager.exe has a problems getting permission the recognize the pluged Devices.
You have to click exe first and then stick the SD.
by Jim JKla » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:16 am
That could be an OS issue as I don't have that problem on XP but if its a fix and it works for you there's nothing wrong with flagging it a a possible solution for some ;)

by A20s00s » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:20 pm
Same problem no device in drop down box on win32imager. I have vista.

So I have tried downloading different win32imagers versions 5 6 and 7, Don't work.

I have used windows 7 instead of vista, didn't work.

Have used different laptop with the same combination as above, did not work.

Before I buy card reader I would like to check something's.

Firstly binary or source?

Secondly does anyone know where I can get earlier versions (before 5) of win32imager?

Thirdly, I have no partitions should I format card first in camera as suggested?

Loving the pi learning all the time, tks for the support
by Spid » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:27 pm
On Windows, when I had to use Windows, this one always worked for me:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !
by PaulCheffus » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:23 pm
A20s00s wrote:Same problem no device in drop down box on win32imager. I have vista.

So I have tried downloading different win32imagers versions 5 6 and 7, Don't work.

I have used windows 7 instead of vista, didn't work.

Have used different laptop with the same combination as above, did not work.

Before I buy card reader I would like to check something's.

Firstly binary or source?

Secondly does anyone know where I can get earlier versions (before 5) of win32imager?

Thirdly, I have no partitions should I format card first in camera as suggested?

Loving the pi learning all the time, tks for the support

Hi

Not all built in card readers will work mine certainly didn't but since buying an external one I have had no problems.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.
by skachr » Wed May 01, 2013 10:10 pm
Jim JKla wrote:It's probably your SD card reader I was on my second before it played ball for me.

Same experience here. w32di refused to recognize the driveletter of the Ricoh cardreader built into my laptop.
Plugged af discrete cardreader into an empty USB port, problem solved.
by xino70 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:33 am
Running the program in xp or vista compatibility mode solved for me (with seven).
by Jim JKla » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:13 pm
I don't need compatability mode but probably because the PC is running XP Pro :D