RetroPie Setup - Auto-installer/updater for RetroArch gaming

804 posts   Page 16 of 33   1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 33
by Aloshi » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:04 pm
Hmm, try launching without sudo. Using sudo messes up the "home" variable ES uses to look for its config file. If that doesn't work, try checking the config file and make sure it's not empty (it might just be the auto-generated default that defines no systems).
by Luminal » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:08 pm
Yes, tried without sudo first. I get

Error initializing SDL!
Unable to open a console terminal
Are you in the 'video', 'audio', and 'input' groups? Is X closed? Is your firmware up to date? Are you using at least the 192/64 memory split?
Error initializing renderer!
by D1Tremere » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:24 pm
Luminal, I had the same problem do to the emulator reading the default config instead of the populated one.
Sign in with Root and replace the unpopulated config with the populated one.

As for not launching without Sudo it's because you don't have superuser permissions, there is a command in the Retroarch setup under custom install to permanently assign permissions for audio graphics and input to base level user.
by Aloshi » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:41 pm
It may also be because you're starting ES over SSH; I'm not sure why, but that seems to cause SDL to fail to initialize.
by Luminal » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:47 pm
@D1Tremere That seems to have got round that issue, I was thinking that way anyway. It just seemed a little complex to have to sign in as root and muck about with hidden files.
by D1Tremere » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:36 pm
now if i could just figure out how to get the nes emulator to respond to my joypad id be in business: )
by Luminal » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:55 pm
Well it seems to respond to my joypad. It needs a keyboard input to continue though; I'll have to 'borrow' one from work.
by D1Tremere » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:32 pm
I had no problems using the configure routine when you launch emulationstation, the problem occurs when i launch a game.
The emulationstation and joyconfig both register fine, but it seems to be using a config inside the game emulation that i cant find and i have looked everywhere at this point lol.
by Aloshi » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:01 pm
To be clear, are you sure you're telling joyconfig to write to a config file? By default it just dumps the config data to the terminal instead of a file. You can direct it to a file with -o path/to/file.cfg. But beware, I believe it will overwrite the file unless you set an additional argument.
by D1Tremere » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:16 pm
Doesn't matter at the moment, as I can't find the config file it seems to be loading from (I know it's not either of the 2 ive found so far).
I've decided to start over with a fresh image, in case my running it the first time with the sudo command screwed up the config placements. If this doesn't work.....................
by D1Tremere » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:51 pm
OK so i re installed from a clean image, this time without using sudo to launch emulationstation and doing everything from command line.

This time it had no trouble detecting the pre generated and populated system list, but again I have multiple retroarch.cfgs and again none of them seem to be .retroarch.cfg. Haven't tried editing one yet because im not sure which one it will read if any, this part seems needlessly un user friendly: ).

Any ideas?
by D1Tremere » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:44 pm
Good news, I finally got it to work with this
./retroarch-joyconfig >> ~/.retroarch.cfg

Now my joystick works, but it broke the emulation. Running super slow and the log has
Retroarch [WARN] : : [ALSA] : poll() was signaled, but EAGAIN returned from write.
Your ALSA driver might be subtly broken.
by D1Tremere » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:00 am
FIXED IT YAY
added
audio_driver = "asl"
audio_out_rate = "44100"
to my new cfg and its all working now: )
by Casty » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:20 am
jonez wrote:Has anyone tried using this installer on XBian? I'm assuming you'd need to compile the source vs. using binaries?

I'm getting a Pi for Christmas so I've been collecting info on the setup I want to build, headless XBMC + Retro emulators and a lot of people have recommended XBian over Raspbian for speed. I've setup a headless CentOS box I use as a personal web server before so I'm familiar with Linux basics but since I'm just getting my feet wet with the Pi I wasn't sure how compatible the two OS's were.

Thanks!

Xbian is a normal Raspbian install with XBMC installed on top of it, with a few settings tweaked of course. I installed RetroPie on top of Xbian with no issues. In the end I decided to use two different SD cards, one for XBMC and one for RetroPie for the sake of auto-boot but this is a preference.
by jonwarner » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:10 pm
Firstly I'd like to say thanks to petRockBlog and also Aloshi for putting together such awesome tools as to allow a relative newbie like myself to live the dream of turning the Pi into a SNES. Really appreciate your hard work guys!

Something that I'm yet to find an answer to is if / how a joypad combination can be mapped to replicate an F4 keypad press i.e. to exit a game running within retroarch.

Code: Select all
input_exit_emulator_btn =

Gets me half way there, but since I'm using SNES replicas (which are pretty nice for a fiver: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200643283634?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649)

I have no single button to map.

Windows users seem to have got around this by using a hotkey mapper like Xpadder, but this seems messy to me.

Has anyone solved this on the Pi? And if not, am I going to damage my file system over time switching it off at the plug each time I'm finished?

Cheers
Jon
by Aloshi » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:59 pm
Unfortunately, I don't think anyone has found a way to do that. I think the best method would be to wait for someone to add the functionality to RetroArch. I looked into setting that up within ES, but the only solution I could really find would be to set up an additional thread to process SDL joystick events while an emulator is running. I want to make sure ES has no performance effect on running emulators, so I decided against it. I think the best thing to do would be to wait for someone to add support within RetroArch...which might be a while.
by petrockblog » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:23 am
jonwarner wrote:Has anyone solved this on the Pi? And if not, am I going to damage my file system over time switching it off at the plug each time I'm finished?

This would be a hardware approach: I chose to add a hardware button via the GPIO pins (http://petrockblog.wordpress.com/2012/1 ... o-adapter/). The button can be polled via the GPIOs with any programming language, I use SNESDev (running as demon in the background, installed via the RetroPie script) to poll the button:
  • press and hold: send "r" key (for rewind function of RetroArch)
  • press and release three times: send "ESC", i.e., go back to Emulation Station
  • press and release five times: shutdown system
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com
by jonwarner » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:30 pm
Cheers. Seems strange that this isn't inbuilt into retroarch but I'm sure these things are never as easy as they seem on face value!

Aloshi, as for a script to process ES events perhaps it's something that you could include as an selectable option at some point? Though I can understand your dilemma.

Also with ES, I'm finding when running themes that the text remains central to the screen. I'm thinking using:
<listOffsetX>
or
<listTextOffsetX>

might help but I don't think I'm using them correctly. Do you have and suggestions or an example?
It'd be great to have a go at making my own at some point.

petrockblog, nice article. Am I right in thinking adding what you're describing is as simple as connecting a push button between pins P1 and P11, installing the gamecon GPIO driver and SNESDev - and hey presto, there's your "Esc" on three presses? If so I could probably manage it - though don't want to do something silly and overvolt / destroy my pi!

Also, using sdl and 44100khz helped with sound as people have reported - what got it working even better was setting the latency to 128 and turning off experimental audio.

Thanks again.
Jon
by Aloshi » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:56 am
jonwarner wrote:Cheers. Seems strange that this isn't inbuilt into retroarch but I'm sure these things are never as easy as they seem on face value!

Aloshi, as for a script to process ES events perhaps it's something that you could include as an selectable option at some point? Though I can understand your dilemma.

I might experiment with trying the threaded listener example some time. I'm not sure when I'll get around to it, though.

jonwarner wrote:Also with ES, I'm finding when running themes that the text remains central to the screen. I'm thinking using:
<listOffsetX>
or
<listTextOffsetX>

might help but I don't think I'm using them correctly. Do you have and suggestions or an example?
It'd be great to have a go at making my own at some point.

Some of the list position adjustment stuff doesn't work unless the game list is in "detailed" mode - you have at least one gamelist.xml present for at least one system.
by petrockblog » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:37 am
jonwarner wrote:petrockblog, nice article. Am I right in thinking adding what you're describing is as simple as connecting a push button between pins P1 and P11, installing the gamecon GPIO driver and SNESDev - and hey presto, there's your "Esc" on three presses? If so I could probably manage it - though don't want to do something silly and overvolt / destroy my pi!

Thank you!

Yes, it is really as simple as you described. You can also have a look at the schematics of the adapter: P11 is HIGH, when the button is pressed and LOW otherwise - everything else is done with software.

As I already wrote at the blog site: If you have it available I would recommend to test the circuitry with a multimeter and, in the best case, completely independent from the RPi with a separate power supply. Check for short circuit between GNC and VCC. Also check for the correct VCC pin (3.3V, and not 5V).

Know what you are doing and please do not blame me for any destroyed hard-/software.
by petrockblog » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:46 am
jonwarner wrote:Also, using sdl and 44100khz helped with sound as people have reported - what got it working even better was setting the latency to 128 and turning off experimental audio.

It would be interesting to hear if others can also see performance gains with these settings!
by Casty » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:38 pm
I posted in the dgen issue page on GitHub, but no response so trying here. ;)

I am having a black screen issue with DGen, it just does nothing... can't exit, no errors, etc. I tried editing the setup script to pull the latest version of Dgen (1.31) but it seems to still have the same issue. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Also I've tried jonwarner's audio settings and notice no increase of performance.
by Aloshi » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:25 pm
Casty wrote:I posted in the dgen issue page on GitHub, but no response so trying here. ;)

I am having a black screen issue with DGen, it just does nothing... can't exit, no errors, etc. I tried editing the setup script to pull the latest version of Dgen (1.31) but it seems to still have the same issue. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Also I've tried jonwarner's audio settings and notice no increase of performance.

Have you tried launching DGen manually (without the front-end)? There's a bug in old versions of EmulationStation that cause a crash with DGen. The format would be something like "dgen path/to/rom".

You might also want to try updating (use the source-based installation option; you can only select certain things to update to save time with Space, e.g. just DGen and EmulationStation).
by Casty » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:11 pm
Aloshi wrote:
Casty wrote:I posted in the dgen issue page on GitHub, but no response so trying here. ;)

Have you tried launching DGen manually (without the front-end)? There's a bug in old versions of EmulationStation that cause a crash with DGen. The format would be something like "dgen path/to/rom".

You might also want to try updating (use the source-based installation option; you can only select certain things to update to save time with Space, e.g. just DGen and EmulationStation).

Yeah, I've tried manually doing "dgen /path/to/rom" and have tried updating based upon the source for just dgen and the dgen config (which does 1.31 with my edits (if they are correct), 1.30 normally).

I just saw another post where someone was having issues only with composite video with dgen black screening, but not with HDMI. I'm using composite so I'll have to check HDMI when I have access to a TV capable.
by Casty » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:29 am
Casty wrote:
Aloshi wrote:

Yeah, I've tried manually doing "dgen /path/to/rom" and have tried updating based upon the source for just dgen and the dgen config (which does 1.31 with my edits (if they are correct), 1.30 normally).

I just saw another post where someone was having issues only with composite video with dgen black screening, but not with HDMI. I'm using composite so I'll have to check HDMI when I have access to a TV capable.

Replying to my own post.

I was able to hook up my Pi up to a TV via HDMI and tested DGen. First I was able to get a DGen logo on boot, but then it froze as usual. I was loading a zip file, which according to the documentation should work, but once I extracted it and loaded the .bin it worked!

So I tried loading the .bin file via composite video... still crashes with a black screen. It seems DGen simply does not work right now with composite video. Oh well.