Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

544 posts   Page 19 of 22   1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
by Davo7135 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:35 pm
Hi, been using Berryboot for the last few days for openElec and Raspbian, and it is exactly what I needed. Thanks heaps.

Is there any chance of extra cmdline.txt options for new features?
If there was a way to choose the default image through the cmdline (or config) file, this would allow people to programmatically change images without user intervention via keyboard/mouse/tv remote etc.
I used to do this manually when I was dual booting by changing /dev/mmcblk0p[2/3] and it was a very handy feature to have.

Thanks again for your hard work.
by Max » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:59 pm
Davo7135 wrote:If there was a way to choose the default image through the cmdline (or config) file

Default setting is stored in a plain text file on the ext4 partition.
As root:

Code: Select all
mount LABEL=berryboot /mnt
echo -n "new-default-image.img" > /mnt/data/default
umount /mnt

Write the name of the image to /mnt/data/runonce if you only want that OS to run once on next boot. In that case the memory split of the OS must be the same as the current one, or CMA must be enabled (which is the default for new installations).
by Davo7135 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:21 am
Max wrote:
Davo7135 wrote:If there was a way to choose the default image through the cmdline (or config) file

Default setting is stored in a plain text file on the ext4 partition.
As root:

mount LABEL=berryboot /mnt
echo -n "new-default-image.img" > /mnt/data/default
umount /mnt

Write the name of the image to /mnt/data/runonce if you only want that OS to run once on next boot. In that case the memory split of the OS must be the same as the current one, or CMA must be enabled (which is the default for new installations).

I discovered /mnt/data/default after trawling throught the git repo (.. and managed to corrupt /dev/mmcblk0p2 in the process) but runonce is absolutely perfect. Thanks heaps.
by Farb » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:10 am
Any news about chameleon_v021.img as SquashFS format? The torrent file which was posted doesn't work.
by Max » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:26 am
Will not add emulators to the main download list at this time.
But did upload a Chameleon image to my new OS image backup place: http://sourceforge.net/projects/berryboot/files/os_images/
Can put it on USB stick, and import it to Berryboot (in the Berryboot GUI, hold down mouse button over "add OS" button -> "from USB stick")

The freeware game "Flight of the Amazon Queen" was added to ScummVM.
by Farb » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:09 pm
Thank you so much. I spent half the night trying to get a working file without no succes:'(
by Axilot » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Thanks for chameleon image :D
Great job!
by Axilot » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:44 am
Max wrote:

Berryboot only uses the wpa_supplicant and udhcpc binary and not iwconfig.

Adapter doesn't appear in "dmesg" and "ls /sys/class/net" either?
Could be that your card is simply not supported.

OK at least it works, I've only to set the correct options in wpa_supplicant.conf. ;)
Thank for the support.
by netninja » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:24 am
So I've successfully installed distros via the Berryboot interface but am having a helluva time with the "advanced users" option when using squashfs to create a compatible distro for my pi. Specifically, I am attempting to add the pwnpi distro... I have no problem following the directions (found on Berryboot page at bottom) but when the pi boots (after copying distro) it stops and several errors pop up mentioning BOOT DISK MOUNTED IN READ ONLY mode. How do I fix this? I tried it with a Raspbian img and received the same error. Help?
by Max » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:08 am
netninja wrote:So I've successfully installed distros via the Berryboot interface but am having a helluva time with the "advanced users" option when using squashfs to create a compatible distro for my pi. Specifically, I am attempting to add the pwnpi distro... I have no problem following the directions (found on Berryboot page at bottom) but when the pi boots (after copying distro) it stops and several errors pop up mentioning BOOT DISK MOUNTED IN READ ONLY mode. How do I fix this? I tried it with a Raspbian img and received the same error. Help?

What are the "several errors"?
If it concerns a broken startup script that tries to run a fsck on an already mounted filesystem try working around that by removing the entries in /etc/fstab.

viewtopic.php?p=263473#p263473
by netninja » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:46 am
Would a broken startup script cause my boot volume to load in "read only" mode? I believe my only errors were due to read only and failed file system check.
by netninja » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:52 am
So I commented out both the /boot and / entries in /etc/fstab. The pwnpi distro BOOTED! Thanks for your help Max... One more question... Should I have commented out both entries or just the /boot entry?
by Max » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:32 am
netninja wrote:So I commented out both the /boot and / entries in /etc/fstab. The pwnpi distro BOOTED! Thanks for your help Max... One more question... Should I have commented out both entries or just the /boot entry?

Better to do both.
/ to prevent a fsck on / which is already mounted.
/boot to prevent that tools like rpi-update are accidently run, which could install incompatible firmware and brick your installation.
by netninja » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:40 am
Roger that. Thanks for your help. Seems to be working like a champ.
by TheMarshall » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:21 am
My berryboot just keeps resetting itself everytime I quit - what am I doing wrong?
I start it up, configure, then install operating system, then quit and I have to start all over again.
Please help
by Max » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:14 pm
TheMarshall wrote:My berryboot just keeps resetting itself everytime I quit - what am I doing wrong?
I start it up, configure, then install operating system, then quit and I have to start all over again.

Might be a problem with your SD card.
Do you have another one?
by klamathxor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:31 pm
What is the user/pass for the Fedora image?

Max wrote:Will not add emulators to the main download list at this time.
But did upload a Chameleon image to my new OS image backup place: http://sourceforge.net/projects/berryboot/files/os_images/
Can put it on USB stick, and import it to Berryboot (in the Berryboot GUI, hold down mouse button over "add OS" button -> "from USB stick")

The freeware game "Flight of the Amazon Queen" was added to ScummVM.
by Max » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:42 am
klamathxor wrote:What is the user/pass for the Fedora image?

Believe the standard Fedora one is root/fedora.
by WeUsePis » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:52 pm
Max wrote:Might add a decent configuration dialog for static network configurations in a future version.

That was stated last November. I know that this isn't that long ago, but I wonder if the future version is the current one. I, too, despise DHCP because it rarely works reliably well.
Our Pi Blog - http://weusepis.wordpress.com/
by Axilot » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:09 pm
Here inage of Arch Linux made by me.
http://ge.tt/4FWgm8Y/v/0?c
Put on usb stick and add to Berryboot.
I've found the is the best distro for motion , no way to make it work with Raspian.
by Max » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:36 pm
Nice date for an update.

Changelog 2013-02-13

• Basic support for static network configurations.
    - currently the option is hidden under "add OS" -> "network settings". Might move it to another location in a future release.
    - support is limited to normal wired Ethernet connections.
    - if you would like to do a headless installation append to cmdline.txt (on the same line as the other options):
    vncinstall ipv4=192.168.88.88/255.255.255.0/192.168.88.1
    (IP/netmask/gateway)

• Fix for running out of memory while downloading large images with a fast Internet connection but slow SD card.
    - downloading is now done using libcurl instead of the standard Qt classes, because the latter "cannot guarantee precision in the read buffer size" according to docs, and that seems to mean they buffer indefinitely in practice.

• Support for downloading the OS image from another mirror server if the initial download attempt fails.

Existing users can upgrade by going to the Berryboot menu editor, clicking "add OS", and accepting the update when prompted.
by WeUsePis » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:53 am
Excellent! Thanks a bunch! I guess my weekend is now booked. :D
Our Pi Blog - http://weusepis.wordpress.com/
by troubadixx » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:07 am
Hi.

I have a probably very basic and very newbie question, so apologies if this question should have been asked before.

I have installed Berryboot with disk encryption and have Raspbian Wheezy running on it. All working great so far.

However: When I boot the RaspberryPi I need to have a keyboard and monitor connected in order to enter the disk encryption password.

Question: Can I log in remotely to Berryboot in order to enter the disk encryption password? I. e., without the need for keyboard and monitor to be connected to the RadpberryPi?

Thanks!
Trouba.
by Max » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:53 pm
troubadixx wrote:Question: Can I log in remotely to Berryboot in order to enter the disk encryption password? I. e., without the need for keyboard and monitor to be connected to the RadpberryPi?

No.
There are some practical safety issues with that, in particular with ensuring that the computer you are sending your password to over the Internet is actually your Pi, and that your Pi has not been tampered with.
by troubadixx » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:36 pm
Hi Max,

thanks for the quick answer.

The thing is: I'm sitting right next to my Pi. Just don't want to connect more than power and ethernet.

This may be the wrong thread, but maybe someone could point me to a solution for this question: How to run Raspbian from a fully encrypted SD card (except for a boot partition obviously) and be able to remotely login for the disk decryption password?
(Tried the Raspbian installer, but that doesn't support encryption (yet?).)

Thanks,
Trouba.