Two XBMC (.deb) compiled/prepared for users + instruction

298 posts   Page 10 of 12   1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
by itsonlyme » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:02 am
Hi Tomaz. Hope you are soon well. Very much looking forward to the new .deb.
Best wishes for all of 2013.
by bleep42 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:09 pm
Hi Tomaz,
Very sorry to hear about your injury, I know ribs are very painful having broken some myself coming off my mountain bike. :-( Hope you recover quickly. :-) I'm also very pleased that you have been able to recompile the latest XBMC and look forward to your deb file when you get a chance.
Regards, Kevin.
by limewax » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:02 pm
Hello. I have huge problem with your and other precompiled versions of XBMC. XBMC runs fine on other versions (when running as normal user - the only issue is that i cannot use mouse or keyboard - so sadly i must admit they are useless). On your version (root access forced) and on other versions (also runned as root) i got error:
Code: Select all
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'dbiplus::DbErrors'

It shows every time when trying to run as root :(
details are saved in log, the last lines are:
19:28:30 T:1103355904 ERROR: SQL: SQL error or missing database
Query: SELECT idVersion FROM version

as offtop i might say that i runned open-elec image on another SD card - it runs perfect. However i just lost this card...
So i must have it running here, on raspbian.
Please help, im desperated :(
Please help... Im desperated here
by Octofinger » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:01 pm
First of all, thanks Tomaz for compiling this package. I've successfully installed it after a few attempts.

First attempt went really bad. First of all, aptitude didn't want to install the dependencies, as it rather wanted to remove the xbmc package. After I told it to find the next solution, it actually installed the required dependencies... Not sure if I did something the wrong way around or what happened, but eventually I got XBMC up and running. But then I experienced weird effects where XBMC got stuck flickering between selected menus and the main screen. Several reboots didn't resolve the problem.

So I started again with a fresh Raspbian SD card and redid the entire installation. This time, I also had the aptitude issue, but it was resolved with selecting the second proposed solution. However, at first start attempt, xbmc stopped with an error due to a unresolved dependency. xbmc requires the libpcrecpp0 package to be installed, which was not resolved by aptitude.

One last question to you here, when I use the XBMoteC remote control (iPhone), it doesn't download images for movies or tv shows. It does so on my other Debian XBMC installation. Is this a configuration in your package or something else I need to investigate?
by limaunion » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:16 pm
Octofinger wrote:But then I experienced weird effects where XBMC got stuck flickering between selected menus and the main screen. Several reboots didn't resolve the problem.

once I experienced the same and I'm convinced that it was related to the GPU/RAM memory split, for some reason the recomended setting (128/128) wasn't the configured .
HTH
by Octofinger » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:51 pm
limaunion wrote:
Octofinger wrote:But then I experienced weird effects where XBMC got stuck flickering between selected menus and the main screen. Several reboots didn't resolve the problem.

once I experienced the same and I'm convinced that it was related to the GPU/RAM memory split, for some reason the recomended setting (128/128) wasn't the configured .
HTH

That might have been the cause for me too. When installing the deb package, it complains about not finding a 128MB split elf file and it took me a while to realize I don't have one because it's configured in raspi-config. IIRC, I set 128/384 split, and I haven't had those issues since.
by tomaz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:58 pm
Hi all,

here is newer version of .deb package for xbmc and instruction how to install.

Should I post new topic, since URL for downloading xbmc-tomaz has changed?

I have followed this process of compiling:
[url not working anymore]: here, now it is has changed to this
hmm, for later this would be better url: here
and prepare .deb file the same way, as for previous version, described here in details:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=133213#p133213

1.) download image for Raspberry Pi (2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian.img)
2.) resize filesystem, if your card is bigger than 2Gb: "sudo raspi-config"
3.) set memory for GPU, I have tested 192 Mb (worked for 256 and 512 Raspberry Pi): "sudo raspi-config"
AFTER changing memory settings you have to reboot!!

4.) sudo apt-get update
5.) sudo apt-get upgrade

6:) download .deb package (around 40Mb)
wget https://github.com/RB-tomaz/xbmc-tomaz/archive/master.zip; unzip -j master.zip *.deb; rm master.zip
sudo dpkg -i xbmc-tomaz.armhf.deb; sudo apt-get -y -f install

7.) if installed successfully, you can safely remove .deb file: "rm xbmc-tomaz.armhf.deb"

8.) run xbmc

if you don't like this xbmc or it is not working, remove it like this:
sudo dpkg -r xbmc-tomaz;sudo apt-get -y autoremove

Can someone please test CEC?
Hope it will work for you.

And my ribs are almost healed ;) thanks all for support.

Tomaz.
---------------------
P.S:
It is version 12.0rc1, compiled long time ago (on 16.12.12) on 2012-10-28-wheezy-raspbian.img image on 512Mb RBP
Tested on two different images: (sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade before installing xbmc)
test OK - simple test, if it starts on 2012-10-28-wheezy-raspbian.img on 512Mb RBP and
test OK - simple test, if it starts on 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian.img on 256Mb RBP and
P.S2: It has some unneeded dependencies, because last week when I wanted to prepare .deb I receive coredump when starting xbmc, I was thinking that I'm missing some dependencies :( It was SD card to blame (hardware error)! I just realized I forgot which dependencies to delete... I will clean it for next release hehe:) With help of "ldd".
P.S3: I had to change URL, and set different process of downloading .deb because github doesn't support binary upload anymore, more here.
P.S4: I have also tested MPEG2 on 256/512 models of Raspberry Pi with PS3 media server running on PC and it was working fine :)
by aguirrech » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:27 pm
Hi, I am getting this error after "sudo dpkg -i xbmc-tomaz.armhf.deb"

"Errors were encountered while processing: xbmc-tomaz.armhf.deb"
by tomaz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:16 pm
Hi aguirrech,

this is normal, if you run just "sudo dpkg -i xbmc-tomaz.armhf.deb". You will receive:

dpkg: error processing xbmc-tomaz (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
xbmc-tomaz

xbmc-tomaz doesn't have all necessary dependencies...
Solution for you is to run "sudo apt-get -y -f install"
and after installing dependencies postinst script of xbmc-tomaz will be triggered and everything should be fine.
If you would run "sudo dpkg -i xbmc-tomaz.armhf.deb; sudo apt-get -y -f install" in one line, everything would be fine:)

enjoy,
Tomaz.

P.S. I have run this xbmc on 256 RBP and it is running better, if GPU memory is set to 128Mb. Before I have set it to 192Mb. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows :)

aguirrech wrote:Hi, I am getting this error after "sudo dpkg -i xbmc-tomaz.armhf.deb"

"Errors were encountered while processing: xbmc-tomaz.armhf.deb"
by aguirrech » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:56 pm
Hi Tomaz,

I am getting this:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo apt-get -y -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.

Any ideas? :?
by tomaz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:27 pm
Hi aguirrech,

sorry no ideas. Did you uninstall xbmc in meantime?
If you have problems removing it, because it is in configuration status you can do:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
dpkg --purge xbmc-tomaz
and try again from beginning and this time in one line.
Which image/distribution do you have? From when?

Yesterday I tried with new SD card and followed steps from 1.) to 8.) and it was working. You can always try with fresh image:)

Tomaz.

aguirrech wrote:Hi Tomaz,

I am getting this:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo apt-get -y -f install
Building dependency tree
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.

Any ideas? :?
by bleep42 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:34 pm
Hi Tomaz,
Thanks for the new build. Glad your rib is better. :-)

I think there are some problems with the commands you give.
unzip -j master.zip *.deb
Archive:  master.zip
2b54b1817279e5ed7c85a2029b4b92708e805ae9
caution: filename not matched:  advancemame-raspberrypi_1-1_armhf.deb
caution: filename not matched:  libshairport_1-1202030-1_armhf.deb
caution: filename not matched:  taglib_20121005-1_armhf.deb
So I used just 'unzip -j master.zip' which did unpack the zip file.
I then did:-
(Reading database ... 80427 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking xbmc-tomaz (from xbmc-tomaz.armhf.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing xbmc-tomaz.armhf.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/taglib.pc', which is also in package taglib 20121005-1
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)

Removing additional XBMC settings on your RaspberryPi

update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (3 4 5) of script `lightdm' overrides LSB defaults (2 3 4 5).
insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 2 6) of script `lightdm' overrides LSB defaults (0 1 6).
Deleting XBMC from /etc/inittabi...
Deleting XBMC autostart in .bashrc...
Deleting automount USB for XBMC
Deleting .xbmc settings...

Setting disable_overscan= in your config.txt was NOT changed.
If you need to change it use "sodo rapsi-config"

If you need more memory for CPU set setting in /boot/config.txt and reboot.

xbmc-tomaz.armhf.deb
Building dependency tree       
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
This initially put up a window asking if I wanted to boot straight into X desktop, to which I said No. then it produced the above output, and failed to install. I have tried twice now, including re downloading the master.zip file.
Hope you can see what is going wrong.
Regards, Kevin.
by tomaz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:21 pm
Hi bleep42,

sorry to hear that :(

1.) so command unzip is not working correctly for you :( I didn't have any other .deb files in folder maybe this is reason for error. I would suggest next time not to use -j. Because -j will put all files in all sub directories of .zip into your current directory.
someone can try little longer version, I didn't try this, just wrote it here:
wget https://github.com/RB-tomaz/xbmc-tomaz/archive/master.zip;unzip master.zip;cp ./xbmc-tomaz-master/*.deb .;rm -rf xbmc-tomaz-master;rm master.zip

2.) did you install/compile taglib yourself?
Just for fun you can try to rename file /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/taglib.pc to something else like taglib.pc.old and install xbmc again? Probably will show some other file you want to overwrite or if you are lucky it will install...

Tomaz.
bleep42 wrote:Hi Tomaz,
Thanks for the new build. Glad your rib is better. :-)

I think there are some problems with the commands you give.
unzip -j master.zip *.deb
Archive:  master.zip
2b54b1817279e5ed7c85a2029b4b92708e805ae9
caution: filename not matched:  advancemame-raspberrypi_1-1_armhf.deb
caution: filename not matched:  libshairport_1-1202030-1_armhf.deb
caution: filename not matched:  taglib_20121005-1_armhf.deb
So I used just 'unzip -j master.zip' which did unpack the zip file.
I then did:-
(Reading database ... 80427 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking xbmc-tomaz (from xbmc-tomaz.armhf.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing xbmc-tomaz.armhf.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/taglib.pc', which is also in package taglib 20121005-1
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)

Removing additional XBMC settings on your RaspberryPi

update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (3 4 5) of script `lightdm' overrides LSB defaults (2 3 4 5).
insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 2 6) of script `lightdm' overrides LSB defaults (0 1 6).
Deleting XBMC from /etc/inittabi...
Deleting XBMC autostart in .bashrc...
Deleting automount USB for XBMC
Deleting .xbmc settings...

Setting disable_overscan= in your config.txt was NOT changed.
If you need to change it use "sodo rapsi-config"

If you need more memory for CPU set setting in /boot/config.txt and reboot.

xbmc-tomaz.armhf.deb
Building dependency tree       
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
This initially put up a window asking if I wanted to boot straight into X desktop, to which I said No. then it produced the above output, and failed to install. I have tried twice now, including re downloading the master.zip file.
Hope you can see what is going wrong.
Regards, Kevin.
by limaunion » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:05 am
Hi Tomaz, everything went fine with this new release except that for some reason xbmc does not seem to be using the settings found under /root/.xbmc (had to start over the customization), is this right?

One thing I noticed is that this new release is much faster than the previous one you prepared in the beginning.

Regards
LU
by KRens » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:07 pm
Hi Tomaz,

Thank you, I installed your .deb file correctly - everything worked when I followed your instructions.

3 Points of improvement:
1) In the menu's xbmc uses 95% CPU. I disabled the RSS feeds and afterwards the menu's worked smoother again.

2) Movies in 1080p are still laggy. Every 30 seconds a movie hangs for about 1 to 2 seconds.
Any suggestions on how to fix this?

3) I had one more issue, where xbmc crashed after running an entire night wile sleeping:
no talloc stackframe around, leaking memory.

For the remainder: well done, everything is working, even my television remote control is recognised.

If you have feedback on how to solve point 2, I would be very very very happy.
Ps: I have 512MB model, clean install, followed your precise instructions.
by bleep42 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:06 pm
Hi Tomaz,
No I haven't compiled my own version of taglib, I have now tried renaming it, which worked fine, but I get exactly the same error as I got before when I try to install, I'm thinking of manually unpacking the .deb file and placing all the files in their correct places, will that work? unless you can think of anything else I could try.
Regards, Kevin.
by tomaz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:33 am
Hi Kevin,

hmm, did you try with "clean" 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian.img image?

otherwise do you have taglib installed, if I remember correct you can see if it is installed with:
dpkg --list

Tomaz.

bleep42 wrote:Hi Tomaz,
No I haven't compiled my own version of taglib, I have now tried renaming it, which worked fine, but I get exactly the same error as I got before when I try to install, I'm thinking of manually unpacking the .deb file and placing all the files in their correct places, will that work? unless you can think of anything else I could try.
Regards, Kevin.
by TheKkilo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:52 pm
Hi,

Works 100 % for me. CEC works perfectly on Samsung P2470HD

Thanks Tomaz
by TheKkilo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:16 am
Hi tomaz,

Today i have a problem. When i play a movie (*.avi), the movie starts without image but with sound. How can i fix it?

Thanks
by TheKkilo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:30 am
Problem solved. I put 88 on GPU on rasp-config. I just have 64.

Thanks
by bleep42 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:42 pm
tomaz wrote:Hi Kevin,

hmm, did you try with "clean" 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian.img image?

otherwise do you have taglib installed, if I remember correct you can see if it is installed with:
dpkg --list

Tomaz.
Hi Tomaz,
I checked and taglib is already installed. So I un-installed it with 'sudo apt-get --yes purge taglib' I then got the same install failure but now for libshairport, so I unistalled that too.
Your XBMC then installed fine and is working beautifully. :-) As mentioned by limaunion, it is definitely much faster in operation than the previous version.
Thanks for all your help and for producing the easy to use package.
Regards, Kevin.
by limewax » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:57 am
Hello. New version posted by Tomaz in #p258544 does not work for me. So as the old version.
I tried old version on older build of raspbian and this version on newest [16-12-2012]. Installation is fine, however no luck in any of them, still same error:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'dbiplus::DbErrors'

Any ideas ?
by mcgyver83 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:10 pm
Hi I'm playing with tomaz xmbc and it works very fine, is faster than the mgorven one (I'm not an expert so I just took the two compiled xbmc and tried both).
Are also very nice the two questions asked at installation time.
CEC works fine.
Great job! Thanks!
by kurtdcobain » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:29 pm
Tomaz, great work! :) it works perfect with 1080p and CEC support, is there a way to add your repo to main source list? So we can download/update your .deb directly during apt-get update command? :D
by spriggsy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:16 pm
hi all, this precompiled deb works great when i install on my system but some how it changes a system setting somehow. after i install it, when ever i insert a memory stick it asks for my password. it never done this before. also men sticks dont appear in xbmc, im guessing its because im not able to enter the password?

if i return to the desktop, enter men stick and password, then run XBMC it shows up fine. unless i remove and reinsert?

has anyone come across this before?

many thanks