Raspbian vs Wheezy (beta) Mono support

204 posts   Page 6 of 9   1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
by HermanSwartz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:57 pm
From Pkg-mon-devel a cut and paste from a reply to my status inquiry.
I take it to mean Debian Wheezy needs to be released before looking to new package versions for the next release of Debian. If Raspbian builds off the current Debian release then it might be quite a while before Mono v3 is available for Raspbian. If that is incorrect please let me know. :-)
---------------------------
I plan to update the packaging soonish (in the next 2 weeks) to 3.0.3
and then upload that to Debian/Experimental. This will give us
packages for armel and the other official Debian architectures.

Debian/Unstable will not see Mono 3.0.x till Wheezy is released.

Till that I suggest to stick to Mono 2.10.x on armel for now. I heard
you can run Mono armel on armhf somehow, maybe a chroot or something?
Maybe someone else knows how to do this...

--
Best regards,

Mirco 'meebey' Bauer
by plugwash » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:52 pm
HermanSwartz wrote:From Pkg-mon-devel a cut and paste from a reply to my status inquiry.
I take it to mean Debian Wheezy needs to be released before looking to new package versions for the next release of Debian.

The packaging of new versions can happen if someone has the time to do it. It's just that until the release it will happen in experimental rather than testing/unstable.

If Raspbian builds off the current Debian release then it might be quite a while before Mono v3 is available for Raspbian. If that is incorrect please let me know. :-)

While Raspbian wheezy generally follows Debian wheezy I can make exceptions to that if I consider it sufficiently important to do so. This is such a case, once mono 3.x packaging hits debian experimental I will start investigating what adjustments are needed for raspbian.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by EdwinJ85 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:28 pm
plugwash wrote:
HermanSwartz wrote:From Pkg-mon-devel a cut and paste from a reply to my status inquiry.
I take it to mean Debian Wheezy needs to be released before looking to new package versions for the next release of Debian.

The packaging of new versions can happen if someone has the time to do it. It's just that until the release it will happen in experimental rather than testing/unstable.

If Raspbian builds off the current Debian release then it might be quite a while before Mono v3 is available for Raspbian. If that is incorrect please let me know. :-)

While Raspbian wheezy generally follows Debian wheezy I can make exceptions to that if I consider it sufficiently important to do so. This is such a case, once mono 3.x packaging hits debian experimental I will start investigating what adjustments are needed for raspbian.

To paraphase oliver twist, please sir, that would be awesome.

Python and Bash are all well and good but I hate using whitespace to mark scope and c# is just so incredibly easy to use I end up falling back to it all the time. The sooner I can start using it full time on the pi the happier a camper I will be. :)
Getting doom to run is my "Hello World".
by shadowcode » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:26 am
Is there an unpackaged blob (or source+patches) I can grab somewhere to test?
by bfagioli » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:53 am
shadowcode wrote:Is there an unpackaged blob (or source+patches) I can grab somewhere to test?

I would like to volunteer to test also and I'm sure several other would as well. Please lets keep this moving. If I can help in any way please let me know.
by xfx » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:01 am
Count on me as well!
by jaytee » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:47 am
Me too.
by 3gws » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:20 pm
Me 3 !
by emg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 pm
Well as the OP, I guess I'll add my vote as well!
by IntoPi » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:34 pm
What would be a reasonable date to expect a linux image with mono 3.x using hard float?

My knowledge of Linux is extremely limited but I do know C# very well and once there is an image I can install my project on it and give it a good test run.

Using one of the existing hard float images, is it for a novice like me possible to pull mono 3.x onto it before it officially hits the repositories? Any links / information / scripts available on that? Or is it waiting on the Linux people to make changes on their end?

Thanks.
by ReBoot » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:09 pm
Today was the weirdest day of my Pi life. I had Mono running. Seriously. I had a SD card around, flashed maybe in January (maybe a month before), run apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, installed Mono and it worked!
After trying some fancy stuff with partitions, I had a "bricked" Pi, so I downloaded the latest Image, reflashed and (after all the steps repeated) viola, Mono threw something about null reference exception, the same as ever again. I don't get it. I really don't get it.

PS: Raspbian softfloat doesn't boot on my Pi, maybe it's because of the 512MB.
by bfagioli » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:16 am
ReBoot wrote:... PS: Raspbian softfloat doesn't boot on my Pi, maybe it's because of the 512MB.

I assume if you are talking about a softfloat disro then you are referring to "Debian" not "Raspbian". Anyway I had a similar problem with my Debian softfloat image. Turned out its was a corrupt .elf file on the boot partition. I copied the *.elf files (problem was start.elf) from my working Raspian boot partition and then wrote them to the Debian boot partition and then it booted.

NOTE: Sorry for the above non-mono tangent. I really want there to be Mono news here. Please can someone provide any status at all on a working 3.x version of mono for the Raspbian hardfloat distro? Anyone? ... anyone?....

by ReBoot » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:00 am
Ow, yes. Soft-float Debian. Anyway, I'll try the start.elf replacement from Raspbian hard to Debian soft.
by moelski » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:46 am
Hi @all,

are there any news on this topic?

Greetings
Dominik
by OtherCrashOverride » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:56 am
I have no idea what the status of the efforts mentioned in this thread are, but you can find a hard float version of mono here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=37174
by plugwash » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:35 pm
It's good that someone has produced a fix but it's for a different version of mono from any version packaged in debian. Given the complexity of something like mono and the fact that neither of the raspbian core devs have any mono experiance there isn't much we (the raspbian project) can do with it unless someone can either backport it to the version in raspbian or update the debian mono packaging to work with it.

Sorry I want to cross this off the list of problems with raspbian too but right now I don't see any reasonable way to do so.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by rphi » Sun May 05, 2013 12:17 pm
I read all the pages of this thread lately, but I didn't understand all of the details. So when I read today that Debian 7 was released I was wondering if that helps bringing a hard-float supporting version of mono to the Raspbian package repository.
by OtherCrashOverride » Mon May 06, 2013 6:23 am
Mono and all programs dependent on it were removed from Debian 7.0 armhf architecture.

http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/mono-complete
by OtherCrashOverride » Mon May 06, 2013 6:33 am
So when I read today that Debian 7 was released I was wondering if that helps bringing a hard-float supporting version of mono to the Raspbian package repository.

The question actually would be: since it was removed from Debian 7 armhf, will it also be removed from Rasbian?
by pauldy » Tue May 07, 2013 6:46 pm
ReBoot wrote:Today was the weirdest day of my Pi life. I had Mono running. Seriously. I had a SD card around, flashed maybe in January (maybe a month before), run apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, installed Mono and it worked!
After trying some fancy stuff with partitions, I had a "bricked" Pi, so I downloaded the latest Image, reflashed and (after all the steps repeated) viola, Mono threw something about null reference exception, the same as ever again. I don't get it. I really don't get it.

PS: Raspbian softfloat doesn't boot on my Pi, maybe it's because of the 512MB.

That is the problem in another thread somewhere I mentioned if you take the fat32 data from the debian hard float and put it on the fat32 soft float partition it will boot. Has something to do with the new memory and the softfloat not having been updated for it.
by ghostdlr » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:17 pm
Any updates? Does the Soft-float Debian “wheezy” solve the problem ?

I managed to run a few console applications with mono...
So , if I convert my existing Windows Forms software to a console application, is everything going to work fine? It's a lot of work so I don't want to start without knowing for sure .
by ReBoot » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:24 pm
ghostdlr wrote:Any updates? Does the Soft-float Debian “wheezy” solve the problem ?

I managed to run a few console applications with mono...
So , if I convert my existing Windows Forms software to a console application, is everything going to work fine? It's a lot of work so I don't want to start without knowing for sure .

Don't convert, Mono can run Windows.Forms just fine.
by pauldy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:39 pm
To clarify soft float wheezy runs windows.forms apps just fine. Hard float wheezy has a workaround but isn't just an install and go process. I am still using the soft float wheezy myself because its just less hastle at the moment.
by paaland » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:40 am
So any updates on mono yet? In December 2013 there were posts about someone having mono 3 running on hardfp raspbian. And that some guy on honeymoon would package it when he was back. Well that's more than halv a year ago. Still can't see a package anywhere.
Dragon 32>BBC Model B>PC>PC>PC>PC>Raspberry PI (circle complete)
by maddbomber83 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:11 pm
http://blog.alexrp.com/2013/07/21/recen ... no-on-arm/

The TL;DR of all of the above is:

• configure.in now respects toolchain configuration with regards to target architecture version and target FPU, and invokes the correct compiler executable to detect this information.
  • Hardware feature detection is now done via the Linux auxiliary vector instead of /proc/cpuinfo, so Mono works under QEMU.
  • Also, ARM version detection is now done on iOS too. A new MONO_VERBOSE_HWCAP environment variable has been added to print hardware feature information.
  • The JIT will now actively make use of a VFP unit even when compiled for systems that don’t have one. This results in significantly better floating point performance on systems that don’t yet use the hard ABI.
  • Mono will now work properly on SMP-capable ARM systems even when compiled for non-SMP architecture versions such as ARM v4 and v5.
  • Just build from the Git master branch to get all of the above.

But what about hard float support?

We (Xamarin) are aware that hard float support in Mono is very important for platforms like the Raspberry Pi and, generally, all new ARM boards.

Hard float support is coming. In fact, I’m working on it as I publish this article, so it shouldn’t take long before it lands in master.