My Camera arrived today... what now?


109 posts   Page 1 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5
by wallarug » Mon May 13, 2013 8:39 am
Is there any software available for be to run the camera board which arrived today at my house?

and, has anyone else relieved theirs?
RPi Hardware Guide

App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rpi-hardware-guide/id723108328?ls=1&mt=8
Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.cmdenterprises.rpihardwareguide

http://www.youtube.com/user/CMDenterprises
User avatar
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 8:21 am
by jamesh » Mon May 13, 2013 9:05 am
wallarug wrote:Is there any software available for be to run the camera board which arrived today at my house?

and, has anyone else relieved theirs?


? Were you on the test list, or was this just a normal purchase from Farnell? If the second, WTH? They haven't been released yet...

Anyway, the demo apps are on the userland github.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 11956
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by lidrol » Mon May 13, 2013 10:27 am
Any news on when it will be released? I am waiting for it soooo eagerly :P
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 10:20 am
by wallarug » Mon May 13, 2013 11:05 am
jamesh wrote:
wallarug wrote:Is there any software available for be to run the camera board which arrived today at my house?

and, has anyone else relieved theirs?


? Were you on the test list, or was this just a normal purchase from Farnell? If the second, WTH? They haven't been released yet...

Anyway, the demo apps are on the userland github.


I don't think I was on any demo list. I placed the order when it was mistakenly put up on Element14 AU site in march. See below.

If this is an error, am I one of the first, if not the first to receive the camera board?
Attachments
cameraorder.png
cameraorder.png (21.04 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
RPi Hardware Guide

App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rpi-hardware-guide/id723108328?ls=1&mt=8
Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.cmdenterprises.rpihardwareguide

http://www.youtube.com/user/CMDenterprises
User avatar
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 8:21 am
by jamesh » Mon May 13, 2013 11:14 am
wallarug wrote:
jamesh wrote:
wallarug wrote:Is there any software available for be to run the camera board which arrived today at my house?

and, has anyone else relieved theirs?


? Were you on the test list, or was this just a normal purchase from Farnell? If the second, WTH? They haven't been released yet...

Anyway, the demo apps are on the userland github.


I don't think I was on any demo list. I placed the order when it was mistakenly put up on Element14 AU site in march. See below.

If this is an error, am I one of the first, if not the first to receive the camera board?


I think you probably are...!

The ability for Element14/Farnell to send out stuff before it's launched never ceases to amaze me.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 11956
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by RaTTuS » Mon May 13, 2013 11:21 am
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html <- ask smart Questions
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
User avatar
Posts: 5366
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK
by wallarug » Mon May 13, 2013 11:23 am
Is there an award or something? :lol:

Do I go on the homepage? :lol:
RPi Hardware Guide

App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rpi-hardware-guide/id723108328?ls=1&mt=8
Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.cmdenterprises.rpihardwareguide

http://www.youtube.com/user/CMDenterprises
User avatar
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 8:21 am
by pygmy_giant » Mon May 13, 2013 11:29 am
The ability for Element14/Farnell to send out stuff before it's launched never ceases to amaze me.


That certainly wouldn't happen with RS - It's great to hear that Farnell are also distributing the board.
Last edited by pygmy_giant on Mon May 13, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posts: 1569
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:49 am
by dom » Mon May 13, 2013 11:36 am
wallarug wrote:Is there any software available for be to run the camera board which arrived today at my house?


Try running rpi-update and look at
/opt/vc/bin/raspistill
and
/opt/vc/bin/raspivid

I think:
/opt/vc/bin/raspivid -d -t 100000

will run a camera demo. (You'll want startx=1 and gpu_mem=128 in config.txt).
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge
by wallarug » Mon May 13, 2013 11:44 am
dom wrote:
wallarug wrote:Is there any software available for be to run the camera board which arrived today at my house?


Try running rpi-update and look at
/opt/vc/bin/raspistill
and
/opt/vc/bin/raspivid

I think:
/opt/vc/bin/raspivid -d -t 100000

will run a camera demo. (You'll want startx=1 and gpu_mem=128 in config.txt).



Thanks Dom. I will try this in the next 30 minutes and get back to you here.
RPi Hardware Guide

App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rpi-hardware-guide/id723108328?ls=1&mt=8
Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.cmdenterprises.rpihardwareguide

http://www.youtube.com/user/CMDenterprises
User avatar
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 8:21 am
by wallarug » Mon May 13, 2013 12:29 pm
which way does it go in? (Camera not detected) - rev2 512mb board
RPi Hardware Guide

App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rpi-hardware-guide/id723108328?ls=1&mt=8
Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.cmdenterprises.rpihardwareguide

http://www.youtube.com/user/CMDenterprises
User avatar
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 8:21 am
by jamesh » Mon May 13, 2013 12:37 pm
wallarug wrote:which way does it go in? (Camera not detected) - rev2 512mb board


On Pi, blue side of cable to the ethernet connector.

On the board, blue side outward.

James
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 11956
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by wallarug » Mon May 13, 2013 12:55 pm
Thanks for reply. I worked it out eventually.

I have uploaded a video which can be accessed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBaYij_BNlg

I did make the comment that it is clear (please excuse 240p video quality).

Enjoy. I am signing off for the night now. Talk in the morning.
RPi Hardware Guide

App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rpi-hardware-guide/id723108328?ls=1&mt=8
Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.cmdenterprises.rpihardwareguide

http://www.youtube.com/user/CMDenterprises
User avatar
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 8:21 am
by jamesh » Mon May 13, 2013 1:57 pm
wallarug wrote:Thanks for reply. I worked it out eventually.

I have uploaded a video which can be accessed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBaYij_BNlg

I did make the comment that it is clear (please excuse 240p video quality).

Enjoy. I am signing off for the night now. Talk in the morning.


Glad its working. Still odd you received the device before launch and before I finished proof reading the instructions...or indeed finishing the software...
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 11956
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by liz » Mon May 13, 2013 2:07 pm
Gah. You're not the only one; I've had some angry emails from people who have also bought one from MCM and were confused when it arrived without instructions or software...really sorry. You'll be all set later in the week. If I had a penny for every time one of our partners leaked an announcement or sent hardware out before release date, I'd have that kitchen by now!
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
User avatar
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Posts: 4112
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:22 pm
by alexeames » Mon May 13, 2013 2:16 pm
liz wrote:Gah. You're not the only one; I've had some angry emails from people who have also bought one from MCM and were confused when it arrived without instructions or software...really sorry. You'll be all set later in the week. If I had a penny for every time one of our partners leaked an announcement or sent hardware out before release date, I'd have that kitchen by now!


People are angry at getting the product before release? :lol:
Some of us would have been very pleased to be able to get one before everyone else. :D
Alex Eames RasPi.TV HDMIPi.com RasP.iO
User avatar
Posts: 2079
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 am
Location: UK
by sharix » Mon May 13, 2013 2:18 pm
On our local farnell site it says availability: 1991 from 27. May 2013 :cry:
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:29 am
Location: Slovenia
by towolf » Mon May 13, 2013 2:18 pm
Got this message half an hour ago:

Code: Select all
We are extremely pleased to announce that the Rasberry Pi Camera Board will be available to order from 14th of May, and we are telling you 24 hours before anyone else!

To place your order, please visit www.farnell.com/pi on 14th of May.


Can’t click order on de.farnell.com they say it can’t be added to te cart because no price has been established, but they display a price, 25.67 EUR.
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:11 pm
by RaTTuS » Mon May 13, 2013 2:20 pm
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html <- ask smart Questions
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
User avatar
Posts: 5366
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK
by recantha2 » Mon May 13, 2013 2:32 pm
towolf wrote:
[code]that the Rasberry Pi Camera Board will be available..


One would hope that someone at Farnell proof-read that...
--
Michael Horne - @recantha
Pi blog - http://www.recantha.co.uk/blog

Cambridge Raspberry Jam
Website: http://camjam.me
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cambridgeraspberryjam
Follow the Cambridge Raspberry Jam on Twitter - @cambridgejam
User avatar
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:34 am
Location: Potton, Bedfordshire
by towolf » Mon May 13, 2013 2:33 pm
Anyone else able to order?
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:11 pm
by piglet » Mon May 13, 2013 2:52 pm
14th May, but no idea of time or timezone.

So - are we having another go at the pi release bun-fight where the people who got up at obsecene-oclock may or may not get through the collapsing websites sites to order before they had to go to work?

I would have thought that after that fiasco a more gentle first come first served pre-order system starting a month or so ago would have been sensible.

Hey ho. I'll try at midnight if I'm still up. If no joy then I'll try again once the CPC site's recovered from the rush...

[Miranda's mum]Such fun![/Miranda's mum]
User avatar
Posts: 569
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:16 pm
by jamesh » Mon May 13, 2013 3:02 pm
recantha2 wrote:
towolf wrote:
[code]that the Rasberry Pi Camera Board will be available..


One would hope that someone at Farnell proof-read that...


One would also hope they wouldn't send out product before the launch date.

I leave you to draw you own conclusions.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 11956
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by jamesh » Mon May 13, 2013 3:03 pm
piglet wrote:14th May, but no idea of time or timezone.

So - are we having another go at the pi release bun-fight where the people who got up at obsecene-oclock may or may not get through the collapsing websites sites to order before they had to go to work?

I would have thought that after that fiasco a more gentle first come first served pre-order system starting a month or so ago would have been sensible.

Hey ho. I'll try at midnight if I'm still up. If no joy then I'll try again once the CPC site's recovered from the rush...

[Miranda's mum]Such fun![/Miranda's mum]


There have been plenty made, and the pre-registration levels seem sane. But who knows what will happen when it get launched.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 11956
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by ukscone » Mon May 13, 2013 3:19 pm
liz wrote:If I had a penny for every time one of our partners leaked an announcement or sent hardware out before release date, I'd have that kitchen by now!


not only the kitchen but a moat & drawbridge too
User avatar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2811
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:51 pm