packages you want to see in raspbian

134 posts   Page 4 of 6   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
by mpthompson » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:18 pm
Julian wrote:I would love to see libreoffice
It is in the repository but its not installable because its missing some dependencies.

LibreOffice has been updated frequently (every few days or so) from the Debian Wheezy archive. I believe the Debian maintainer is busy trying to get the best port possible before the Wheezy freeze occurs this week. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to get a clean build from any version that has passed through. The build failure usually occurs a day or two into the build which is rather annoying.

Because LibreOffice is such a huge and complex build, I'm going to let things settle down with the updates after the freeze and then look further into why LibreOffice won't build for Raspbian. Of course, I'm also hoping that a newer update will suddenly start building for us.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Steep » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:30 pm
I did post a request for wxCam earlier but got no response, don't know if it was missed or if it's not possible?
by plugwash » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:20 pm
Steep wrote:I did post a request for wxCam earlier but got no response, don't know if it was missed or if it's not possible?

seems it's not in debian, if it is in-fact in debian can you tell me the debian package name. If it is not in debian someone will have to prepare a package of sufficient quality to go in the Pi specific section.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Steep » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:03 am
Not found it in Debian, it's available in Arch though. I had thought to try compiling it myself but hit the wall that I suspect is all too common in Linux. The instructions on the sourceforge homepage for wxCam seem simple enough, "make sure you have these half dozen dependent files installed" but each of them has dependencies and the dependencies have dependencies and their dependencies break dependencies from other dependencies seemingly ad infinitum. I have only the RPI to do the job on and gave up when I lost track of what I was doing.

I had hoped someone with more knowledge would find it easier.
by niko1986 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:21 am
Webmin would be very handy.
by Steep » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:18 pm
After a friendly nudge from jui-feng (thank you kind sir! :) ) I had another go at compiling wxcam and got a lot further but hit a dead end with mjpegtools (libmjpegtools-dev) which are not in the Debian armhf repo for Squeeze or Wheezy but do seem to be in Sid at least according to deb.multimedia.org

Any chance mjpegtools could be brought into the Raspian list from the Sid repo?
by plugwash » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:47 pm
Steep wrote:After a friendly nudge from jui-feng (thank you kind sir! :) ) I had another go at compiling wxcam and got a lot further but hit a dead end with mjpegtools (libmjpegtools-dev) which are not in the Debian armhf repo for Squeeze or Wheezy but do seem to be in Sid at least according to deb.multimedia.org

Any chance mjpegtools could be brought into the Raspian list from the Sid repo?

It's not in the official sid repo, deb-multimedia.org (formerly debian-multimedia.org) have it though and if their package builds for debian armhf it will probablly build on raspbian.

I'm wary of pulling stuff from deb-multimedia.org because they are mainly known as the repository for legally dodgy stuff for debian.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Steep » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:08 am
Not a problem Plugwash, I did download it directly and it installed fine though it hasn't solved the problem. I'll start a thread of my own to talkl about that rather than clutter this one up any more.
by RaTTuS » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:26 am
jui-feng wrote:I have uptimed installed (from the repo), so it is already available.
gnomad2 is available as well and appears not to be missing any dependencies, but I never used it, so can't tell if there's anything wrong with it.

cool I'll give it a go asap
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by chris_c » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 pm
I remember when I used to have a Pandora, a lot of games in the repo were painfully slow, until someone replaced the software rendering in SDL with GLES routines

It could be well worth poking around in the pandora's sources for their GLES accelerated SDL as I seem to remember it making quite a difference - for a lot of different packages all at once...

It would mean SDL not being from "official" debian sources - but well worth it....

(I am of course assuming here that they only used GLES and not any hardware specific OMAP/SGX stuff.... - but I can't see that being the case (crossed fingers!))
by mpthompson » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:30 pm
chris_c wrote:I remember when I used to have a Pandora, a lot of games in the repo were painfully slow, until someone replaced the software rendering in SDL with GLES routines

It could be well worth poking around in the pandora's sources for their GLES accelerated SDL as I seem to remember it making quite a difference - for a lot of different packages all at once...

If this panned out and someone took on the task of rolling a GLES accelerated SDL package for Raspbian, I'm certain that person would be the hero of many Raspberry Pi owners. I would love to get a GPU optimized version of SDL in the repository, if it's possible.

I believe this would also help the Foundation and their efforts to teach kids programming with Pygames. I believe Pygames relies on SDL which for graphic output.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by chris_c » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:49 pm
http://hg.libsdl.org/SDL/file/bc8de0568 ... er_gles2.c

there actually is a GLES2 (and 1) renderer included in sdl now a days

I'm not sure with SDL how you specify a specific renderer and in any case there would have to be Rpi specific code to create the "context"

while initially it would have to be fullscreen only, it does occur to me that you should be able to render to the offscreen buffer that an sdl Xwindow is using....

vc_dispmanx_display_open_offscreen I *guess* but hard to say without docs.... I could have the wrong end of the stick entirely !

has anyone seen specific code that selects which sdl driver - sdl should use ?
(I haven't used sdl in years in favour of xlib/gl etc.....)

What I'm thinking here is a butchered version of SDL that apps think is normal SDL but uses the GLES renderer on a BCM created context....
by Gawmertron » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:43 pm
Hi Guys,
I am inexperienced with Linux I have used Ubuntu and Linux Mint for a year or two but would still consider myself a total noob when it comes to installing packages and dependencies in Linux and repositories etc. In most of the big Linux distros there seems to be easier ways of installing software other than from the command line. Now with a Raspberry Pi I find I can only use the command line to install software.
I would like to use Code::Blocks as I am a C++ student (I have tried other IDE's Code::Blocks is the one for me) I am not sure how to install it. What I would like to know before I add Code::Blocks to the above list of desired software is - how does one check what software is in any Debian repo? and is there any reason anyone can think of, that would make Code::Blocks not install onto a Raspberry Pi. Sorry if these questions appear ignorant but this is what total Linux newbies face when first running their Raspberry Pi's.
Also is there a good reference on understanding repo's and how to use them (as opposed to just looking up the command line on google?).
Many Thanks for everyone's help I have learned loads from this forum.
GB
by chris_c » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:02 pm
sudo apt-get install synaptic

will get you a graphical package manager - obviously you need to be running X to run it...

I'm currently using medit which is a nice lightweight editor which code hi-lighting and none of that intelli-guess errm I mean intellisense nonsense...
by chrisw2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:14 pm
Gawmertron wrote:Hi Guys,
I am inexperienced with Linux I have used Ubuntu and Linux Mint for a year or two but would still consider myself a total noob when it comes to installing packages and dependencies in Linux and repositories etc. In most of the big Linux distros there seems to be easier ways of installing software other than from the command line. Now with a Raspberry Pi I find I can only use the command line to install software.
I would like to use Code::Blocks as I am a C++ student (I have tried other IDE's Code::Blocks is the one for me) I am not sure how to install it. What I would like to know before I add Code::Blocks to the above list of desired software is - how does one check what software is in any Debian repo? and is there any reason anyone can think of, that would make Code::Blocks not install onto a Raspberry Pi. Sorry if these questions appear ignorant but this is what total Linux newbies face when first running their Raspberry Pi's.
Also is there a good reference on understanding repo's and how to use them (as opposed to just looking up the command line on google?).
Many Thanks for everyone's help I have learned loads from this forum.
GB

I use synaptic (a GUI frontend to apt) to manage packages. It allows you to search, look at categories of software, easily see what is installed etc, etc.

To install, from a terminal:
apt-get install synaptic

An entry for synaptic should then appear in the system menu of whatever desktop you are running.

I just did a search in synaptic for "code::" and it turned up the package "codeblocks" which is probably what you are looking for.
by Gawmertron » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:52 pm
Hi Guys,
Thank you both for the helpful replies, Synaptic is exactly what I was after. I thought I would send an update as I have a bigger problem now. Without hijacking the thread too much, I tried to install Synaptic on my RPi but it sort of crashed half way through the install. I did some further reading and found that it was possible that I had run out of space on my partition. I successfully followed instructions on how to resize the partition on my SDcard found here- http://elinux.org/RPi_Resize_Flash_Partitions (I re-did the image as the Pi would not boot up anymore on the crashed one). It worked on the first boot but then it errored at the part where it tells you what IP address it is, on the reboot (foolishly didn't write down the error). Then it would not boot at all. I have tried to re-image the SD card with out resizing it, with resizing it, with different images to no avail. All I get is the red LED and nothing else. It seems I am not the first. I am going to buy a new SDcard and power this seems to be a common cause of this problem.
Anyway am learning loads about Linux.
Thanks
GB
by chris_c » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:17 pm
Gawmertron wrote:Anyway am learning loads about Linux.

Raspberry Pi working as intended then!
Linux is a great way to improve your skills!
by DonOregano » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:51 pm
I would love it if a binary of gnat and gnat-4.6 could be built.
I have gotten stuck trying to build it myself on my rpi, and can't really work out what I should be doing.
It seems that I would need an older gnat on there to be able to build it, which I obviously don't have.
by plugwash » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:28 pm
To bootstrap gnat my suggestion would be to use the official armhf gnat packages from debian. Of course to do this you will need a system that can run armv7 code, if you don't have a real armv7 system I would suggest using the qemu-user dev vm.

Then you will need to modify the gnat packaging so it builds with the right defaults for raspbian and rebuild it. You may find yourself needing to go though several build cycles before you can get a clean package.

I may try and bootstrap gnat myself and upload it to the official raspbian archive at some point, but there is no way i'm doing that until after the staging repo is introduced.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by DonOregano » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:00 pm
Okay, that was kinda what I feared the answer would be...
I think I will have to revert to using the armel debian distro instead, until raspbian has gotten further. I'll be back though :-)
by mpthompson » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:09 pm
DonOregano wrote:I would love it if a binary of gnat and gnat-4.6 could be built.
I have gotten stuck trying to build it myself on my rpi, and can't really work out what I should be doing.
It seems that I would need an older gnat on there to be able to build it, which I obviously don't have.

I tried to build Gnat three days ago as it is one of the last compilers that Raspbian doesn't yet support. I made the changes to the package that should allow it to compile Armv6 code and FPU instructions, but the build stalled for some reason about three hours into the build. Looks like it stalled during a test, but subsequent builds didn't respond to the usual Debian flags for disabling tests. Since I now know that someone would like to see Gnat on the Raspberry Pi, I'll try again to see if I can figure out why build is not working.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by cubii » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:30 pm
Hi,
I hope i have understood the topic correctly, i have a feature request.

I want to use usbip or usbredirector but both need drivers compiled against the kernel (headers) of the rpi.

I am trying this in the moment, but i am a new linux user and this will take time. And , if i understood this correct, this must be done every time the kernel changes,

so please insert ( the drivers forI usbip or usbredirector.
Thanks!
by nadir » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:52 pm
I think codelite is not available.

I am using pisces. right now.

I understand the thread like this: available on Debian, but not in Raspbian.
All the apps i use are available, as far i can tell yet. One app which is not in Debian yet neither would be i2p (it is quite heavy on RAM-usage, and i haven't tested it on raspberry). Another package not in Debian would be retroshare. Same problem with RAM-usage and it uses QT.

As far i see all i need, and which is in Debian too, is available.
by DonOregano » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:24 pm
mpthompson wrote:I tried to build Gnat three days ago as it is one of the last compilers that Raspbian doesn't yet support. I made the changes to the package that should allow it to compile Armv6 code and FPU instructions, but the build stalled for some reason about three hours into the build. Looks like it stalled during a test, but subsequent builds didn't respond to the usual Debian flags for disabling tests. Since I now know that someone would like to see Gnat on the Raspberry Pi, I'll try again to see if I can figure out why build is not working.

Well, that would be excellent! I'll happily test anything that you produce! I've just made a donation to Raspbian, influenced by the quick response on this forum!
by mpthompson » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:09 pm
DonOregano wrote:Well, that would be excellent! I'll happily test anything that you produce! I've just made a donation to Raspbian, influenced by the quick response on this forum!

Ughh. The build system I like doing builds on is working on LibreOffice which is a three day build. I'll let you know if and when I get something to try out.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator