ADC Raspberry PI

2 posts
by igormon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:41 am
Hi, I have searched quite a bit and an answer to this question has so far alluded me.

Recently purchased the MCP3008.

The input analog signal will be around 40Khz, I want to get maximum sampling rate from the MCP3008. On the spec sheet it shows 200k samples/sec.

So if I want to achieve at least the nyquist rate I need 80k samples/sec. I have read from one source that the maximum sampling you can achieve is around 8Khz, not because of the SPI bus clock limiting but rather kernel overhead. Later on I read something about someone getting around 100k samples/sec.

I'm kind of confused with this, what is the maximum rate I can sample at with the Rasberry Pi? And would anyone be able to point me to the right direction to be able to sample at such a rate?

Thanks,
by joan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:26 am
As you are asking specifically about the SPI bus it would be beneficial to read viewtopic.php?p=190008#p190008

If you post a question on that thread you are likely to get the current situation (the question may already have been answered within the thread, I haven't the desire to find out).