RaspberryPi as extremely cheap digital signage

61 posts   Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3
by eduncan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:13 pm
Hello everyone,

Like many of you, I eagerly await the release of the RaspberryPi models. I work for a University and one of the projects I am taking on is the implementation of digital signage across campus. I have been doing some research and have already setup a free open source digital signage server called XIBO http://xibo.org.uk/. The XIBO client runs on python. I have also found where someone has attempted to cross compile some of the libraries for the BeagleBoard http://www.cnx-software.com/20.....ard-overo/. How different will the RaspberryPi be from the BeagleBoard? Different ARM versions? Wouldn't it be nice to have digital signage for $35 a TV? I plan on making every attempt to get the client running on the RaspberryPi. I have obtained a BeagleBoard to test with but I have no idea how similar the two will actually be. Any thoughts? Comments? Anyone else want to help on this particular project?
-E
by jamesh » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:29 pm
Good idea.

I would expect that the main code would be a straight recompile from the Beagle board - but do you mean recompile? Python is interpreted, so should run as is on both systems.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by eduncan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:41 pm
Yes, I mean recompile the python code.

The libraries that I know will need to be cross compiled would be:
libavg
Berkelium
libbrowsenode

There very well could be more

By no means am I a good programmer, but I will figure this one out. If any developers have any free time or knowledge to contribute I would appreciate it.
-E
by jamesh » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:50 am
Like I said, Python is interpreted I believe, not compiled. So it should just work - we already have Python running on the Raspi.

I could be wrong - Python experts needed!
by asb » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:07 am
Python is definitely no barrier, it's just going to be cross-compiling the libraries and getting them to use the available hardware for accelerating video decode. Probably the biggest issue I can see so far is I'm not sure libavg runs on OpenGL ES yet (as opposed to OpenGL), but some searching seemed to indicate people have been looking at it.
by stuporhero » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:13 am
Python is both interpreted and compiled! (It can be compiled to it's own bytecode)
by jimwelchok » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:58 pm
Yea verily, Yea!
I plan on using it for charity work, at fundraisers. I was going to use concerto http://www.concerto-signage.org/
by lewis71980 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:20 pm
Yep looking forward to this. Was suprised at how mugh digital signage devices cost! Cheapest I could see was around £200.
by SN » Tue May 08, 2012 9:24 pm
Well I hope you get a good cheap solution running - anything has got to be better than the windows based rubbish on the London Underground Escalators - lost count of the number of Windows Error screens i've seen
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by iMash » Thu May 10, 2012 11:31 am
Has anyone had chance to look at this yet?

I have debian squeeze installed on my Pi, and have ran into an issue with the libavg library as suspected. However, I have never cross compiled libraries and have tried following the tutorial on cnx-software. But, I guess, as he is compiling for in an emulated environment I guess some steps are different?

I'm keen to learn and if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be good?

If I manage to get xibo up and running on the Pi I will attempt to write a tutorial for others to follow, to get their own up and running :) .
by gnz » Mon May 21, 2012 9:49 pm
iMash wrote:If I manage to get xibo up and running on the Pi I will attempt to write a tutorial for others to follow, to get their own up and running .

I'd love to hear your experiences on that one. I'm gonna try the same thing, but it'd be great to hear if you have any tips (or if you've given up)..!

Thx
gonzalo
by mrtenchy » Tue May 22, 2012 3:37 pm
Ditto on the updates...
Xibo is a fantastic alternative to expensive commercial bits of kit...
It's on my list of things to do as well :)
by iMash » Thu May 31, 2012 10:56 am
gnz wrote:
iMash wrote:If I manage to get xibo up and running on the Pi I will attempt to write a tutorial for others to follow, to get their own up and running .

I'd love to hear your experiences on that one. I'm gonna try the same thing, but it'd be great to hear if you have any tips (or if you've given up)..!

Thx
gonzalo

I have temporarily given up. I have had the xibo pyclient installed manually on the pi. But one of the required libraries (libavg) needs cross compiling for the arm architecture.

I have attempted to research how to cross compile libraries and then load them onto a different system but ended up feeling like I was banging my head against a brick wall trying to get help or find the right bits of information.

I have certainly not given up altogether and when I get chance to learn how to cross compile the libraries I will.
by mrtenchy » Thu May 31, 2012 3:05 pm
Scratchbox is the tool....
by gnz » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:33 am
The guys at CNX software are making good progress in getting Xibo to run on ARM platforms: http://www.cnx-software.com/2011/11/04/ ... l-version/
by solutionssquad » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:58 pm
let me start by saying I am in no way a linux guru....

Has ANYONE had luck getting Xibo to run on the Pi that can provide directions?!

Much appreciated!
by PeterHaban » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:37 pm
If only I had seen this yesterday... I came up with the same idea :)

Raspberry Pi Project 2 – Raspberry Pi driven digital signage and environmental monitoring

http://www.raspberrypioneer.com/2012/06 ... onitoring/
by chrowe » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:57 pm
I have created a page on the wiki to collect info about projects using the Raspberry Pi for digital signage at http://elinux.org/RPi_Projects/Digital_Signage

If people can post their research, successes, failures, ideas, etc. there I think it would help us all
by crypty » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:43 pm
I have realized with the raspberry pi a digital signage in combination with an web browser in full screen mode and the actual raspbian image, it works great.

The only where I am experimenting a bit is video playback in browser,
for that in my first experiment the power was too less.

I don't have so many linux experience to know what to use to have a better playback.

When you want I could post my setup and maybe a video how it works.

Greetings from Germany

Tommy
by solutionssquad » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:52 pm
Would LOVE a video or directions!
by crypty » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:01 pm
OK I will prepare a video about my actual research version for digital signage on raspberry.
by crypty » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:11 pm
Ok here is the video to give you some impression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaPt_3aN-CU

Ahh sorry for the background noice,
my wife was on the phone ;)

It's a digital signage for a hotel with 4 pages
- welcome page
- news site (with rss-news, pictures, clock and weather)
- some other information pages for advertisement and
general restaurant and hotel informations

Hope I was able to show you what can work.

Tommy
by solutionssquad » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:28 am
It looks awesome.
Is it running Xibo?
by vasilise » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:41 am
Hi,
very nice job.
As for the video, i believe that raspberry is working as iPhone. In order to play a video without lag we must send it to Pi through a different route (as the iTunes for iPhone). Because the Pi has hardware decode for H.264, when the Pi recognizes a such file it will be played good.
So maybe we can try to send these files through a website or through a PC running a custom made software like iTunes.
Does anyone has any other idea on that?
Crypty could you please post a link with your implementation?
by crypty » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:48 am
Yes, it's really an pi (you can see it a bit down under the tv)

I can write this evening after my main job a small how to, how
i configured raspbian that he goes automatic in this html web-
presentation.

tommy