will it run hulu?

20 posts
by mikeyD » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:57 pm
I currently have an older power hungry (350 watt) pc attached to my tv purely to watch streaming internet content. Is there enough horsepower in this board to run an internet browser with flash installed to stream hulu content? I want to reduce my power consumption and get rid of an old pc. Thanks!
by stephen44 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:33 pm
subscribed
by abishur » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:43 pm
Seeing as how the specs say it can handle playing Bluray discs (assuming we attach a bluray player to it I suppose) I can think of no reason why Hulu shouldn't work on it.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by RobinJ » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:01 pm
Quote from abishur on August 29, 2011, 20:43: I can think of no reason why Hulu shouldn't work on it.

Because Flash sucks? :p
Rule #1: If a human tries to argue with a logical device like a computer, the device always wins.
Rule #2: A big bucket of water, window, or hammer can nullify Rule #1.
by abishur » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:16 pm
There's always work arounds for software that has become bloated ;)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Lob0426 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:06 pm
The processor in RasPi is of the same family (It is the same GPU) as the one used in the ROKU 2. The processor speed is faster than the ROKU 2.

EDIT: It appears the ROKU 2 has exactly the same SoC.
http://www.mycablealternatives.....-teardown/
Raspberry Pi is mentioned in this article.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with 512MB
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!
by texasdex » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:37 am
I have the exact same issue: a power-hungry monster old PC that can just barely play Hulu, and costs me like $10 per month just in electricity. This will be the first thing I do with it, followed by setting up a NAS (possibly with a second Pi). My major concern would be, does Flash support ARM?
by Svartalf » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:15 am
Quote from texasdex on August 30, 2011, 01:37
I have the exact same issue: a power-hungry monster old PC that can just barely play Hulu, and costs me like $10 per month just in electricity. This will be the first thing I do with it, followed by setting up a NAS (possibly with a second Pi). My major concern would be, does Flash support ARM?

Yes. It's a virtual machine like the rest. Biggest problem with that is that I don't know if you'd use the flash based playback framework or if you could sweet-talk Hulu out of a proprietary player like they provided Roku. The Roku2 XS player doesn't use Flash to support Hulu- and I do believe they still use Linux in their players.
by texasdex » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:29 pm
My concerns are that:

• Adobe may delay or never release Flash for Linux/ARM, like they did for Flash for Linux/AMD64. Flash may be a virtual machine, but unless you can get the company to compile it for your architecture, you're up the creek. Oh and the various 'lite' or obsolete versions for specific platforms won't work either: Android/ARM is NOT the same as Linux/ARM, even though Android uses Linux.
  • That H.264 hardware decode support won't be implemented in Flash even if it is released; it'll just try to do it in software and performance will be abysmal. I have a P4-era dual Xeon that struggles to play hulu or other flash videos fullscreen, and a P4 that just plain can't.
  • Hulu definitely won't release a native client specifically for this platform because their content licenses actually make a distinction between playing a video on a desktop PC and playing a video on an embedded device hooked up to a TV. The contracts don't allow the latter unless you pay for Hulu+, and even then there are some shows that still don't. Nevermind that you can hook up any modern desktop to a TV too. This device arguably blurs the line between 'desktop' and 'embedded device' but I doubt Hulu will be eager to push the envelope.
by deggy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:49 am
I really wouldn't hold out any hope of seeing a drop-in flash plugin for Linux/ARM (or any standard OS+ARM). http://www.arm.com/community/s...../adobe.php says that ARM are working on optimising Flash for ARM (as any Android user knows) but I expect on Android only or a per-license basis for manufacturers of other ARM devices.

The best bet for a flash-based media player would be to somehow get Android onto the chip and then use a flash binary extracted from the Android Flash Player package but that would considerably restrict flexibility when it came to general applications. If I was planning a RaspberryPi-based media player at the moment I'd be looking at Boxee and staying away from Flash (which leaves some questions about the Boxee flash player and how they have enabled that content on the Boxee Box - is it a licensed Flash Player built specifically for the Boxee Box?).

To be honest, above and beyond Flash, even h.264 and MPEG is probably licensed for inclusion into the Boxee box - maybe XBMC and its derivatives might be the better option.

I suspect that when it comes to the realities of creating a homebrew system on ARM any streaming content from commercial providers might become a crunch point when it comes to dealing with the various DRM/CODEC issues which hardware manufacturers like Logitech, Boxee, Roku etc get around by licensing and compiling binaries compliant with a ton on NDA's

(A look at the Boxee sources reveals flash players for i486-linux, osx, win32 & x86_64-linux only, all pre-compiled binaries)
by willrandship » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:15 am
No personal experience with it, but what about Gnash? I was under the impression it handles video playback rather well.
by ghans » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:27 am
HULU HAS LONG BEING RULED OUT.

It is also mentioned on the "will it run" wiki page.

Why , you ask ? Flash and DRM.

It is no wonder why Roku/Boxee work with Hulu - they can have NDAs , and are companies who pay for licenses ( their products are more expensive than a Pi).

Our only hope would be a codec pack from the foundation for 15$ or so - like for the Archos tablets.

Gnash is perhaps 90% compatible , and supposedly Hulu relys on the unimplemented 10% (again, DRM ?) . Flash without acceleration would be a joke - and accel. involves either paid or unpaid work (loads of it).

And anyway , Hulu and Boxee or Roku have perhaps special contracts where a flash-free version of the service can only be accesssed with non-free binaries on OSS-enriched devices.

So without business incentive for Hulu or a third party - nope.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by ghans » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:40 am
And i forgot , most important THIS:

ADOBE STOPS FLASH MOBILE DEVELOPMENT
(note that this is almost synonymous with "ARM devices" )

http://online.wsj.com/article/.....09352.html

ADOBE DROPS FLASH FOR LINUX

http://news.softpedia.com/news.....4483.shtml

Of course , if you are a big company and have money to spend , they might find a solution.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by RaTTuS » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:42 am
also necro post :(
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by ghans » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:46 am
Oh. Sorry . But anyway , could somebody put it , like on the three FAQ pages we have on the wiki. This has to be ruled out as impossible .

I was under the impression that necroing was advisable from the forum admin POV ?

ghans
by RaTTuS » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:29 am
willrandship necroed it

and the wiki is ediable by all ?

but no worries
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by gfranklin2308 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:27 pm
I have been using Hulu on my Pi with OpenElec and XBMC. I used the BlueCop plugins. The only issue I have is the CPU in the Pi isn't quite powerful enough to handle the buffering between the show and the commercials Hulu forces us to watch. It does however work and play the shows well. Due to the cpu constraints that I have noticed the last 2 seconds of video stops on the show your streaming but audio continues. When watching the resources in the OS the CPU goes from about 50% usage to 99% usage at that time. It works with some hitches but works if you are patient.
by ghans » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:58 pm
Does it work with a paid subscription ?
In retroperspective i'm just to keen to jump on the "gnash won''t work , adobe hates flash " - train :D.

ghans
by wbuhrman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:54 am
I'm having trouble getting hulu to run on my Openelec install on my Raspberry Pi. Hulu will play the intro commercial but then does not play the show/video. I didn't see any how-to or configuration guide. Are there any config parameters I need to adjust?

BTW, I am running OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-20120807030154-r11766.tar.bz2 if that helps.
Tnx.
by p4trykx » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:19 am
I occasionally have the same error but most of the time it plays the right video. You can also disable the commercials before the show.
I'm using Xbian. Also make sure that you have an US IP address.