Re: Case Design - Internal Mounting: Raspberry Sandwich!

24 posts
by alexisread » Tue May 01, 2012 9:25 pm
Hi everyone, I was going to wait until I'd got a Raspberry pi before doing a case design, but then thought that this might be useful to people. As I haven't got a Pi, the dimensions might be off slightly, and I'd appreciate corrections. As far as licencing goes, you are free to what you like with the design, I'd just ask that if you are not using it for profit, you post any improvements to this thread so that they don't get lost on the site. Thanks.

This is a QUICK DIY case, primarily designed for helping people mount the Pi internally, as well as securing the SD card if needed, and protecting the Pi from short circuits.
Presenting the Raspberry Sandwich!
Materials needed: one OHP transparency, inkjet printer, craft knife and cutting board, sellotape.

Print the PDF below onto the transparency (note this is only up for 7 days, does anyone have more permanent hosting?).
[link deleted as now links to an .exe - mods]

Using the craft knife, cut out the parts marked with an X, corresponding to the board connectors (I've left the SD card outline which you don't need to cut).

Score along the middle line of the design. Fold in half.

Put it on the Pi! The best way to do it is to hook the top over the composite connector, then the USB connector.
If you want the SD card secured in the case, put it in now.
Fold the bottom closed.

You can tape around the edge of the 'sandwich' to seal it. Mounting screws can go where I've marked the holes.

That's it! Hope this is useful to people.
by pygmy_giant » Wed May 02, 2012 12:31 am

Protects from dirt and shorting and eables mounting – quick, dirty, useful and cheap.

– I like it!

Could even be customised with swanky graphics….

Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.
by surpher » Wed May 02, 2012 8:57 am
alexisread said: Print the PDF below onto the transparency (note this is only up for 7 days, does anyone have more permanent hosting?).

You could stick it on http://pdfcast.org/
by Montala » Wed May 02, 2012 3:28 pm
alexisread said:

Print the PDF below onto the transparency (note this is only up for 7 days, does anyone have more permanent hosting?).

http://wikisend.com/download/662200/RaspberrySandwich.pdf

That"s it! Hope this is useful to people.

I can"t seem to get the above link to work… or is it necessary to "sign in" first?

Thanks! :)
by alexisread » Wed May 02, 2012 6:29 pm
Thanks for the interest, the first link should work without logging in etc., however I've also uploaded it to pdfcast (thank you surpher!):

http://pdfcast.org/pdf/raspber.....ndwich-1-0

Hopefully this will be easier to access...
by jbeale » Wed May 02, 2012 6:47 pm
Nice idea! I also copied your PDF file here:

http://elinux.org/images/0/0c/.....ch-1-0.pdf

elinux.org is hosting the Raspberry Pi wiki area with lots of useful information:

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Hub

You can see some other case designs on this page:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Cases#Pr.....ld-up_Case
by pygmy_giant » Fri May 04, 2012 8:52 pm
Here are some measurements for comparrison:

The more I think about it, the less I can see the need to make a 'propper' case - may just Duct tape one of these to the back of the monitor!

Thanks Alexisread
by alexisread » Fri May 04, 2012 9:22 pm
Thanks for the dimensions pygmy_giant! It looks like I'm correct on all the dimensions except the board size itself - I was a bit confused as to the true dimensions before (I think Gert had said the wiki was wrong or something), anyway I'll stretch the distance between the USB/ethernet and the composite/headphone to fit when I'm back from holiday.

Btw, couldn't see the two images you posted up to the thread?
by pygmy_giant » Fri May 04, 2012 9:29 pm
Don't blame me if the measurements are wrong or thank me if they're right – I just stumbled accross this diagram via google.

My Pis due at the end of the month, so can test then… enjoy your holiday.
by Montala » Fri May 04, 2012 9:35 pm
According to one (French) case designer who has already received his Pi, the actual dimensions of the board are 85mm x 56.17mm, as measured with an electronic device!
by alexisread » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:53 pm
Ok, got my Pi at last! I've made a few changes to the dimensions - it fits now. It's pretty robust screwing down the corners, and even fits into the anti-static bag that the Pi was packed in!

The best way to get the case on is first over the USB ports, then the composite, the headphone and lastly the network port. The case should then be flat over the top of the Pi.

Cables plug in no problem as you can see from the photo:
PiSandwich.jpg
Raspberry Sandwich 2.0 pic
PiSandwich.jpg (56.78 KiB) Viewed 8104 times

...and the PDF to print out is at (7 days):
PiSandwich.pdf

I'm thinking about extending the design to VESA mount, not looked at the print size yet though. If anyone would like the sketchup file I can make that available too.
Would someone mind updating the one on eLinux.org to the version 2.0 (jbeale)?
Thanks,
Alexis
by pygmy_giant » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:16 pm
Good work - will see if I can get some decent card / OHP film to give it a go - hate to raise the subject, but is heat a problem at all?

If not, I might pinch your idea for other boards that I intend to mount alongside the pi inside one big project box.

Think you win the prize for cheapest enclosure solution...
by walleee » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:17 am
adobe says teh file is corrupt, can you upload elsewhere?
by alexisread » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:17 am
I'll repost the PDF tonight (fileshare sites are blocked at work for me).
As far as temperatures are concerned, I've not pushed the GPU, but maxing the CPU for an hour gets the Pi warm, and the enclosure not at all - OHP slides have to have some heat tolerance after all!
Cheers,
Alexis
by pygmy_giant » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:40 am
Good that OHP film is heat resistant (as well as electrically insulating) but was worried about the Pi becomming 'boil in the bag' over time as the film is also thermally insulating - maybe add some ventilation holes at strategic points? Extra holes could be cut for added heatsinks if over-clocking...

... or am I just being paranoid?

Might be worth sticking a thermometer in the sandwich to ascertain typical temperature to see if this really a problem or not at all.

Expect I'm just being paranoid but I would/will add extra vents as heat degrades components over time and increases electrical resistance.

I expect this would only be a consideration if over-clocking / over-volting....?
by walleee » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:41 pm
alexisread wrote:I'll repost the PDF tonight (fileshare sites are blocked at work for me).
As far as temperatures are concerned, I've not pushed the GPU, but maxing the CPU for an hour gets the Pi warm, and the enclosure not at all - OHP slides have to have some heat tolerance after all!
Cheers,
Alexis

thanks, would like to try this one out as I have plenty of ohp film about...
by pygmy_giant » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:09 pm
I downloaded and viewed it fine - no probs.
by alexisread » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:52 pm
I've put a second version up on wikisend, see if this works:
http://wikisend.com/download/879922/PiSandwich.pdf

I'll look at putting in some cutout lines for the chips, and a 100x100 VESA option, over the weekend.
My main concern at the moment is actually RF interference as my wireless keyboard/trackpad is playing up (It's been rock solid on everything else) - possibly lack of shielding around the Pi which I could look at rectifying in a similar way to this sandwich. I've got it working by running a USB extension lead, but may be able to work something in here...
by alexisread » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:52 pm
Actually, strike that about the RF - it's just interference with the wifi router which was in between the keyboard and the transmitter! Case cutouts to follow.
Cheers
by walleee » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:17 pm
man, that wikisend site is pure balls.

The first link in the first post was sending me some random .exe file,

with teh most recent link I have to alt+click to get it to download in chrome, and every time it's corrupt!

I got it from pdfcast (I think tahts it's name) but the cut out for the usb is waaay too small, I can't conceive how it would fit...
by pygmy_giant » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:32 pm
baffled - worked fine for me...
by alexisread » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:44 pm
Wallee, the original pdfcast version was done before I had a Pi to measure - the cutouts don't fit correctly which is why I've updated the design. As pdfcast works for you (and everyone else seems to be fine too), I've uploaded the latest version there:

http://pdfcast.org/pdf/raspberry-sandwich-vesa

This version includes the optional cutouts for the 3 hottest parts of the Pi (the two chips and the power component), and includes an optional 100x100 VESA overlay for those that want to mount on a monitor back.

Cheers,
Alexis
by pygmy_giant » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:12 pm
Looks good - can download with ie but have problems if using fire fox.

Tangentally, I bought a printer cartridge refilling kit for £1.33 from home bargains today and it works! Saved myself £££'s - tip: wear the plastic gloves.
by pygmy_giant » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:46 pm
another tip - put tape / epoxy over the stopper or it will, over time, shake loose and leave a puddle of ink in the borrom of your printer :?