StarWars R5-D4 Astromech

12 posts
by kf6snj » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:58 am
I am a member of an R2 builders group. I am planning to use the Rasberry Pi as the primary control system for my R5. I just installed the Debian OS to an 8GB SD card, this based upon previous experience with Debian, Fedora and Arch. Now I am working on compiling my R5 AI and either DROS or Astromech-ROS. I am undecided yet on which one will better serve my purposes. The hard part is getting it to respond appropriately to either voice or remote control commands. This is all a learning experience and I hope to be able to share what I learn here.
by androidcave » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:56 pm
Hi there

Yes the Pi would be idea for that. i have been thinking along the same lines, maybe even build a Johnny Five.

Something i will probably start next month if i have time etc, i have most the stuff to do it, so why not

Regards

Al
by kf6snj » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:09 pm
Sounds like a good project. I have the first "Short Circuit" movie, so I know who Johnny Five is. The Rasberry PI is a very small computer, so it would easily fit anywhere within the frame. I would suggest looking into either DROS or Astromech-OS for robotics control software. I am hoping that the Debian OS for the PI has GCC and G++ support. If not, I may try to tweak the repository listing in Apt-Get and use that to get those files as well as some of the others (CMAKE) that will be needed to properly compile DROS or Astromech-OS. Just bear in mind that if you use Astromech-OS that you will need to adjust the xacro file before compiling to reflect your droid's own unique specifications.
by jamesh » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:49 pm
Even if Debian doesn't have gcc/CMAKE (I'm pretty sure it has gcc at least), they are very easily installable. It really is just an sudo apt-get install cmake etc.
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September, October, November 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by kf6snj » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:57 am
Yes, that is true. I've used sudo apt-get a few times with Ubuntu and Red Hat. Not so much so with Puppy Linux, which I am surprised was not considered for the PI. However, I suppose that Debian and Fedora are more readily recognizable than Puppy and there is a broader support base than for Puppy. Still, I may look into trying Puppy on the PI sometime as well.
by kf6snj » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:57 am
To start with, I've noticed a spelled gaff on my end. Its Raspberry, not Rasberry. My error entirely, even with the name right in front of me. OOPS. Next, I managed to find part of the droid today, but its been partially crushed. I am going to spend some time trying to reshape it if I can. Might also pull out the Dremel and see if I can start cutting some of the panels and forging a few other important parts. I have DROS compiled and Debian6 installed to an 8GB SD card. Just waiting to order my PI and while I wait, I am working on other hardware that I am planning to run off of the PI. Hopefully all will work as planned.
by Montala » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:23 am
kf6snj said:

Yes, that is true. I've used sudo apt-get a few times with Ubuntu and Red Hat. Not so much so with Puppy Linux, which I am surprised was not considered for the PI. However, I suppose that Debian and Fedora are more readily recognizable than Puppy and there is a broader support base than for Puppy. Still, I may look into trying Puppy on the PI sometime as well.

In the webinar last week Eben mentioned that the 'team' behind Puppy Linux are very enthusiastic about the Raspberry Pi and he is expecting that it will become one of the supported OS's.

I got the impression that he is a bit of a fan of Puppy Linux also!
by kf6snj » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:46 pm
I primed the body last night. Looks like some defects in the metal. Most of it can be worked around. Working on getting some of the other parts put together right now while I wait to order my Raspberry Pi. Hoping to get this moving forward very soon.
by kf6snj » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:17 am
Was finally able to order my Raspberry PI. However, now I need to redo my SD card due to the upgrades in the Debian OS for it. Planning to use the CVN repository to install the ROS to it when I get it. Right now I am look at motor control plans and working on mounting the legs to body. Slow project, keep having issues with retooling parts.
by AndyStubbs » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:42 pm
Please post pictures of your build, it sounds insanely cool!
by Selezen » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:19 pm
Any more progress on this? Sounds like a fantastic project!
by maxhirez » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:14 am
Have you seen this walkthrough?
[url]
http://aonsquared.co.uk/raspi_voice_control[/url]
Also, this one at LMR might save you from using an Arduino as the middle-man and save on some system resources.