Raspi streaming Netflix

27 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by RaspiBoy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:19 am
Trying to figure out how to get a Raspi to stream Netflix

Ideas welcome
by nick.mccloud » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:32 am
RaspiBoy said:

Trying to figure out how to get a Raspi to stream Netflix

You'll have to pay Netflix to port their software to it.

Or use remote desktop (ugh!) to link to a full size computer that's actually running Netflix.

More info to be had by searching the forum for Netflix
by RaTTuS » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:51 am
Netflix uses siverlight IIRC - which will not run on RPi unless M/S do some porting [I think]

so No.

however in the future who knows
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html <- ask smart Questions
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
by SN » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:07 am
So how does AppleTV work then which clearly is NOT Microsoft based
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by dh04000 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:09 am
SN said:

So how does AppleTV work then which clearly is NOT Microsoft based

Apple opened up their wallets and paid to have the right to port silverlight and the netflix stack to their AppleTV product.
by spartacus06 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:47 pm
Only hope here is to bust into a Roku 2, which runs on the same Broadcom 2835 SoC, and see if the netflix code from that will run on a RaspPi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V.....eoCore_ICs
by error404 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:43 pm
Pretty sure NetFlix isn't using Silverlight on non-PC platforms, it's just closed-source and the protocol isn't open. Might be reverseable but given that it hasn't happened yet, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Running the Roku (or some other ARM device, probably) code on Pi might be feasible. As might running Android which has a port.
by nimdy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:07 pm
My ideal would be to run Android (optimised) on the Pi, and somehow be able to port XBMC within Android. That way you would have the ultimate HTPC for HD content and streamed content (iPlayer, 4oD, ITV Player and Netflix/LoveFilm). Don't think the XBMC guys have goid Android on their radar though unfortunately.
by Jessie » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:52 am
Sorry I don't know much about Android because I don't use it, but dosn't it just run on top of Java?
Click my website link under my avitar for the RetroPie 2.3 guide in progress.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by mole125 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:23 am
Jessie said:

Sorry I don't know much about Android because I don't use it, but dosn't it just run on top of Java?

Close, in fact it is it's own seperate virtual machine environment and libraries derived from the java, but isn't actually Java(TM) but the java programming language is what is used to write for it.

To make this slightly clearer (maybe) java can mean one of three things: the virtual machine that runs the compiled byte code, the language/compiler that is used to generate the bytecode and the standard set of libraries that are directly available for the programmer to use.

An over simplified explanation is that Android is a special type of java with a special set of libraries designed for mobile phones.
by Davespice » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:24 am
Not being funny but I am of the opinion that the whole compliance mess we’re in is because of people who want the Raspberry Pi for this kind of purpose, or XBMC etc.  People who don’t want the device to learn programming or use it in a creative way – but instead to use it as a consumer.  I roll my eyes and tut loudly :)
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by bbramble » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:38 am
Davespice said:

Not being funny but I am of the opinion that the whole compliance mess we’re in is because of people who want the Raspberry Pi for this kind of purpose, or XBMC etc.  People who don’t want the device to learn programming or use it in a creative way – but instead to use it as a consumer.  I roll my eyes and tut loudly :)

+1 to that. We are now having to wait even longer for dev boards because of all the people who want someone else to provide them with a pre-rolled solution. Which means they will have to wait even longer too.
by justinxmetal » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:30 pm
They are working on an Android port of XBMC now: viewtopic.php?t=16417&p=165673

That would be the best way.
by Belteshazzar » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:58 pm
If you want to you can try playon out. It is a server that you should be able to access from xbmc and play all the apps it has. Plex is a free option but I have not had much luck with it as alot of there channels are currently not working for me, though if they were then that could also work. plex does allow you to use the server on another computer and not put as much strain on the pi. i have plexbmc running on raspbmc. also the hulu xbmc app works so i see no problem why netflix wont work once we figure out a way!
by ghans » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:21 pm
Netflix Add-Ons rely on Silverlight , and the Linux counterpart Moonlight
does not support DRM (Digital Rights Managment) for obvious reasons.
(Or not so obvious ones , but thats not for this thread.)
Netflix needs DRM , so i believe Netflix will be a no-go on Linux
for some time into the future , too.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by m4f1050 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:14 am
If you want Netflix on your non-smart TV just buy an android TV with an RK3066 chip, it will run Netflix perfect, in fact, I have 1080p kernel on my MK808 and I run full HD 1080p Netflix (with, of course some minor effects on resolution with a good bandwidth 65MB wifi connection (or ethernet 100M connection)
by cpyarger » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:26 am
actually netflix is currently running on ubuntu through wine. check out

http://www.iheartubuntu.com/2012/11/ppa ... p-app.html

by ghans » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:09 am
Neither WINE or Ubuntu run on the Pi.
Same for Silverlight (i suppose that was meant to
run on top of WINE anyway ).

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by juanjo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:00 pm
Hello, I recently buy a raspiB and I havent received yet but I am very enthusiastic. I have a question about this issue, If I install Android on my raspi can I see Netflix ?
by ghans » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:24 am
Android is not usable right now.
And i'm not sure if it's legal to get the Play Store onto our Raspis anyway.

ghans
by juanjo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:34 pm
But I don't understand ... I read in the manual that one of the SO that can be install in raspi is Android. What is wrong ? the manual ?
by ghans » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:09 pm
It is not hardware-accelerated , which makes it pretty
laggy and unsatisfactory - only one guy is working on it.
You're free to help him.

ghans
by Davespice » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:35 am
Belteshazzar wrote:Plex is a free option but I have not had much luck with it as alot of there channels are currently not working for me, though if they were then that could also work.

Haven’t visited this thread in a while. Currently I use a circa 2006 Nintendo Wii to stream Netflix, but I am running the Wii through a Raspberry Pi router set up which allows me to either connect to the European Netflix server or the USA one. The Pi has an extra USB Ethernet adapter and just hosts a VPN tunnel to the states when I want to do this.

I guess it would be nice to have a way to stream Netflix on a Pi, as this would allow me to retire the Wii since Netflix is the only thing I keep it around for.

Plex might be an option, but this requires a secondary machine to act as a Plex server.
Info here; http://rasplex.com/
by raspberrypiomane » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:38 am
Yes, Plex does work. As far as I know, the server needs to be able to play Netflix though. I use Windows 7 as the Plex Media Server, I don't know if using the Netflix-on-Ubuntu workaround will get this done as well, but I doubt it. There are PMS builds for Linux.

You will need to install the Netflix Addon on the PMS and the Plexbmc Addon on the Pi.

In the Plexbmc options set "always transcode" to true.

This worked on my setup with Openelec on a B-model Raspberry Pi - should work with any XBMC-on-Raspberry-Pi setup though.

Of course, this still means a second server running Windows 7 needs to be on for streaming and currently the Netflix Addon for PMS only works in the USA.
by macxcool » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:53 pm
Actually, the plexmediaserver netflix plugin does work in Canada (and possibly elsewhere). It's just hidden in a section reserved for plugins that don't work in your region. It's just not in the regular list of plugins.
I'm having an interesting problem though. I've got plexmediaserver running on WIndows 8 and PlexBMC on Openelec on the RPi. I can browse Netflix on the Pi and play a movie, but there is no video, even though the movie seems to actually play (the time increments and I can pause and stop etc.). Is Windows 8 the problem? Should I just try to install XP on a machine and try again?