Raspberry-PI as RDP/ICA/VNC client terminal

7 posts
by Genfry » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:36 am
Hello,

I want to use the Raspberry-PI device as client terminal for ther RDP/ICA/VNC protocols.

Seems to be simple because it can boot a Linux distro where are RDP/ICA/VNC sw already installed, but is prefereable to ha an SD or a boot image to be saved on an SD card already preconfigured with it.

This light pc will be very useful in company where PCs can be replaced with this device.

Costs savings, efficiency, simplicity, availability etc all included !

It's a great PC !

regards

GB
by cnxsoft » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:37 pm
I tried to run Windows 8 via RDP in the emulator. It's very slow but it works.

http://www.cnx-software.com/20.....ianubuntu/

Remmina (http://remmina.sourceforge.net/) would be the best software for that. The current version in Debian 6 works fine for VNC but it will crash with RDP (+ Windows 8). The latest version of Remmina (version 1.0) does not have this problem. It will available in Debian sid as a binary package, in case you don't want to cross-compile it.

There is also VMWare View, that might be more smooth (thanks to PCoIP protocol) but setting up the server(s) seems somewhat difficult.
by Genfry » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:25 pm
Hi

someone could test  rdesktop software on R-PI ?

or FreeRDP

R-PI speed shouldn't be a problem, the processor is capable of decoding full HD video that is more heavy of display graphics coming from another system.

thanks

GB
by abtinternet » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:19 pm
Genfry said:

Hello,

I want to use the Raspberry-PI device as client terminal for ther RDP/ICA/VNC protocols.

Seems to be simple because it can boot a Linux distro where are RDP/ICA/VNC sw already installed, but is prefereable to ha an SD or a boot image to be saved on an SD card already preconfigured with it.

This light pc will be very useful in company where PCs can be replaced with this device.

Costs savings, efficiency, simplicity, availability etc all included !

It's a great PC !

regards

GB

This request makes a lot of sense. Looks like VNC and remote web based access (as logmein) can be easily implement with minimum configuration.

Also using a wireless keyboard/mouse via one of the USB can turn the Pi into a very sleek replacements to thin clients PC.

We love to run some benchmark tests as soon as we get one.
by besteverjam » Thu May 17, 2012 10:11 am
Hello,

I was delighted to see that Remmina should work with raspberry-pi.

I believe that my USB mouse, keyboard and screen can be used to set up the Rasbery-pi but then I need to return the peripherals to the original machine (running UBUNTU ) and control the Raspberry-pi from there. That would be ideal !

Now, where can a find an idiot's guide to setting up the software so my own Linux (Ubuntu) machine can access both my Windows XP and my Raspbery-pi. (When I get it). The user guides I have found so far assume more knowledge than I have - hence my need for an idiot's blow-by-blow guide.

Can you help?

Best wishes,

besteverjam
by keving » Fri May 18, 2012 12:24 pm
On the windows box you need to:

right click on my computer
select properties
select remote
ensure there is a tick in allow remote desktop: allow users to connect.

If I remember correctly it only works if the user name used has a password (it would be a good idea to add one even if this is not the case)

If this machine is going to be accessed by linux machines it would be good if it had a fixed IP address.

On the Ubuntu box:

Install remmina:

I would open a terminal window and type

sudo apt-get install remmina

This will add a remmina shortcut and icon to the machine (you may have to search it out depending on whether you have gnome (version 2 or 3), unity or some other gui).

Open remmina and you can add setup information. For the windows box you need to select RDP and give it the IP address, username and password. For the Pi or another linux box select VNC and again give it the IP address, username and password.

On the Pi you will need to set up a VNC Server. I am currently using tightvncserver, though remmina has a server option which I shall try out as my current setup is far from perfect.

As soon as I have got a simple setup sorted I shall try to post again.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.
by besteverjam » Mon May 21, 2012 12:34 pm
my thanks to Keving - I had not expected so prompt and comprehensive reply so soon.
I shall give it a try.

Best wishes,

besteverjam