Lego Cases

28 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by sjsskill » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:46 am
Hello, all!

I just finished a desktop-tower case for the Raspi. I will probably buy the pieces necessary to build it, then affix the Raspi using Sugru. I thought we might need a thread dedicated to strictly Lego cases.

In return for my design, I ask that someone checks it for the correct dimensions. I found measurements online, then translated them to Lego plates and studs. If interest is shown, I will post the LDD file here so someone can check or use it. For now, here is a picture of the finished product:

http://tinypic.com/r/1huj4o/5

You can see two doors. The one on the front (3 blocks high) is for the audio/video out. A smaller HDMI door is on the back, which you cannot see (2 blocks high, same base as the audio/video). The door on the top allows access to the USB and Ethernet ports.

http://tinypic.com/r/1fioso/5

This is from another angle. The back HTML door can be seen. When the two pins are pulled out, the top portion can be swiveled to the side, allowing access to the SD card. The small arch on the bottom is for the power cord. Again, the board will be attached to the ledges in the walls using Sugru or something similar. What do you guys think?

Side note: Sorry about the raw URLs. I can't figure out how to post an image properly… I'll edit it as soon as I figure it out.
by PiOfCube » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:22 am
I was wondering if there would be any problems for anyone to use a 3D printer to make pieces that would be able to replace a few of the Lego bricks to add mounting points and switches etc?

If that wasn't a problem, using standard lego bricks with a few small "printed" additions would make it even easier for kids and adults alike to build and learn a bit about the R-Pi and what's involved in basic design and requirements.
- 1BillionHex aka PiOfCube: 68719476738 -
by walney » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:56 am
PiOfCube said:

If that wasn't a problem, using standard lego bricks with a few small "printed" additions would make it even easier for kids and adults alike to build and learn a bit about the R-Pi and what's involved in basic design and requirements.

Hmmm, you'd probably have to call them "Oleg" though.
by HansH » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:28 pm
PiOfCube said:

I was wondering if there would be any problems for anyone to use a 3D printer to make pieces that would be able to replace a few of the Lego bricks to add mounting points and switches etc?

You mean something like this:

by sjsskill » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:06 pm
walney said:

PiOfCube said:

Hmmm, you'd probably have to call them "Oleg" though.

I would be extremely interested in 3D printed specialized Raspi Lego bricks. I'm sure it would be fine as long as they weren't being sold.
by sjsskill » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:47 am
Hans - Where can I get those lego pieces? And do they fit well?
by hstubbs3 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:28 am
I would think that even if selling the pieces, the only issue is Lego trademark...

There have been knock-off building block kits that *happen* to fit Legos, as I recall, just they don't make any such claims on their packaging, etc..

Oleg ? I dunno.. Open Lego-like electronics grip ?

OSBS -> open source brick system ?
by HansH » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:14 am
sjsskill said:

I don't got them, I used openscad and designed them, just for fun to see how everything

would fit.

This is the one with minimum adaptions, just for holding the pcb.

I can put up the design for the block on thingiverse if you want...

should not cost much to get them printed...
by sjsskill » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:00 pm
HansH said:

sjsskill said:

I don't got them, I used openscad and designed them, just for fun to see how everything

would fit.

This is the one with minimum adaptions, just for holding the pcb.

I can put up the design for the block on thingiverse if you want...

should not cost much to get them printed...

Yea that would be great. I have access to a 3D printer here at my college. The only problem I see is the inability to fit the Raspi exactly within four of these mounts (due to the discrete peg distances). Is there another way to ensure maximum stability?
by HansH » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:41 pm
The Pi pcb is exactly 56 width, so it fits exactly within the lego blocks, so you need only a small extension to support the pcb and above it the same to hold it in place.

The length of the pcb is a bit smaller than lego, so I made some small blocks which add 1mm and 2mm to the extension, which should be sufficient.

I have put the lego block design on thingiverse, so you can try it out or alter the design.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:18739

Let me know how it goes.
by abishur » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:00 pm
I've been using the Lego Digital Designer to design my lego case (mainly because I'm told when you're done you can directly upload and purchase your kit with step by step instructions.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by sjsskill » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:10 pm
HansH said:

The Pi pcb is exactly 56 width, so it fits exactly within the lego blocks, so you need only a small extension to support the pcb and above it the same to hold it in place.

The length of the pcb is a bit smaller than lego, so I made some small blocks which add 1mm and 2mm to the extension, which should be sufficient.

I have put the lego block design on thingiverse, so you can try it out or alter the design.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:18739

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks a bunch! I will work on a flat Lego case using your pieces. It might be a while before I can test it with an Raspi, but I will post the design when I am finished. Also, will these pieces snap together well with Lego?
by sjsskill » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:12 pm
Abishur said:

I've been using the Lego Digital Designer to design my lego case (mainly because I'm told when you're done you can directly upload and purchase your kit with step by step instructions.

Sadly, they removed the "design by me" feature, so you cannot directly buy the set. However, you can pick out individual pieces online using Lego's Pick a Brick system. I will do this once I have a final design. LDD can still be used, though. Just build it, and record what pieces you need.
by abishur » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:14 pm
yikes, thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to record the pieces I use!
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by sjsskill » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:22 pm
Abishur said:

yikes, thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to record the pieces I use!

No problem. There is still the feature to see the step-by-step instructions (in the upper-right corner), so I advise building to your pleasure, and then recording the piece count/type from the generated manual.
by abishur » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:24 pm
Sounds good!  I'm having a lot of fun with it cause I'm planning on tucking a Hard drive in there and possibly a TV tuner (if the r-pi can swing that ;-) )
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by sjsskill » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:29 pm
Abishur said:

Sounds good!  I'm having a lot of fun with it cause I'm planning on tucking a Hard drive in there and possibly a TV tuner (if the r-pi can swing that ;-) )

I am a college student with little electronics/CS skills, so I am looking at this device to help me learn. I would love to experiment with things like that, but I am afraid of doing something wrong. Although, it could be interesting to have detachable Lego modules that each house something like a hard drive, usb hub, TV tuner, etc.
by JamboBuenna » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:37 am
Hey all,

After previously using the Lego Cuusoo website, seeing and voting for the Minecraft project, I looked on the site to see if anyone was interested in developing a case for the Pi. As no-one had started a project for creation of a case yet (or anything to do with the Pi), I created a project on the site.

Whilst I am in the middle of creating lego models for my Pi, which I am hoping will turn up soon, it would be great to use others images on the lego site, in order to increase the excitement of this idea and thus increase the chance of Lego picking up a project for cases kits.

The link to the CUUSCO page is….

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/11859
by rolltide » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:59 am
Is there anyway I can get a list of the lego's you used for the desktop-tower case? I would love to make one.
by sjsskill » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:34 pm
rolltide said:

Is there anyway I can get a list of the lego's you used for the desktop-tower case? I would love to make one.

I haven't even made a list yet. When I can, I'll upload the LDD file of the tower. Is that ok?
by rolltide » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:35 am
sjsskill said:

rolltide said:

I haven't even made a list yet. When I can, I'll upload the LDD file of the tower. Is that ok?

Sounds great. Thanks.
by sjsskill » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:37 pm
rolltide said:

sjsskill said:

rolltide said:

Sounds great. Thanks.

Here is the link to the file as it is in the pictures I posted:

http://www.2shared.com/file/eQ.....r_2.html 

Anyone, feel free to use it. You need to download the Lego Digital Designer from the Lego website to use the file.
by rolltide » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:21 am
Thanks for the file. I"ll post pics when I get one built.
by sjsskill » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:50 am
rolltide said:

Thanks for the file. I"ll post pics when I get one built.

Take creative liberty. I whipped that up in one sitting.
by HansH » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:55 pm
I adapted one of my cases on shapeways to have feet which fit on LEGO bricks.

I also made a small minimum frame which only holds the pcb and has those LEGO feet