BITTORRENT CLIENT

8 posts
by charudatt » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:38 pm
I would love to see an application which involves the use of Rasberry Pi for downloading Torrents on USB connected devices , like Pendrives , HDD.

Fonera 2N has a good feature list which can be ported on this little baby.

regards
by abishur » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:47 pm
Perhaps I'm missing something, but transmission (or just about any bittorrent client) has this functionality built into it.  You just tell it what folder to watch and anytime you drop a torrent file in there it automatically downloads the torrent to a specified location (such as a pen drive or Hard drive)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by charudatt » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:52 pm
WoW, I guess, NAS/SAMBA is also inbuilt ...........
by abishur » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:02 pm
nope, samba is of course a separate entity altogether.  ;-)   If you want samba in addition to being able to store content on locally connected usb devices then you'll have to install it.  It can be a nuisance to set up though.  Honestly I've always felt that the lack of a couple click basic setup for samba sharing has always been one of the downfalls of getting linux into a windows dominated environment.  But that's neither here nor there.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by abishur » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:04 pm
Side note, NAS in this context is really just the sharing of a locally attached drive over a network and not really a protocol or anything ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by hvc123 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:11 pm
you can use utorrent server for linux, it looks exactly like the winblows version except you access it from a web browser so you need some sort of web server running i.e apache , httpd
by charudatt » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:39 pm
Cool, the BASIC Idea came to me as I am using a HDD Media Player with LAN Connectivity , which has the BitTorrent Downloader and SAMBA sharing on it.

I was just hoping if I could separate these functions from the media player , I could save good amount of power for Torrent downloads using USB Pen Drive.

Now just waiting to get my hands on , on this baby to try out all these things.

Thanks everybody for the inputs, surely looks like this baby is here to stay......
by psergiu » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:49 pm
rTorrent on the RPi which is very resource-efficient - will happily run with 32Mb RAM or even less.

Then you have a desktop client or web interface for controlling rTorrent

nTorrent is a good one.