Arcade Cabinet

26 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by comprx » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:24 am
I am finishing up my first arcade cabinet and I think when I start my second I would love to use RP as my mame computer

My idea:
Raspberry Pi loaded with arm based MAME and a good mame front end

This this would be simple enough? (I already know how to make the control panels ect as I am just about done making my first (windows pc based) cabinet
by Jessie » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:11 am
Yeh it should be easy, it would be one empty cabinet. You would just have to find a monitor with a DVI or HDMI input. If you wanted to go retro with an old CRT monitor then things would get complicated.

The only Linux front end I know of that dosn't just look like a giant spreadsheet is Cabrio. It would be nice if Hyperspin was ported over but the author shows no interest in porting it and he claims it uses some particular Windows libraries that would make the port more complicated than a simple re-compile.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Prometheus » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:45 am
Quote from Jessie on December 21, 2011, 05:11
Yeh it should be easy, it would be one empty cabinet. You would just have to find a monitor with a DVI or HDMI input. If you wanted to go retro with an old CRT monitor then things would get complicated.

Unless you were using an old TV with composite inputs, no? :) (I know, I know, you mean proper arcade monitors - but it's still worth noting, I think.)

One with a comb-filter (to counter composite's natural dot-crawl) ought to look pretty authentic.

The only Linux front end I know of that dosn't just look like a giant spreadsheet is Cabrio. It would be nice if Hyperspin was ported over but the author shows no interest in porting it and he claims it uses some particular Windows libraries that would make the port more complicated than a simple re-compile.

How about Wah!Cade? It's an open source clone of MameWAH, which itself is quite nice.

The dependencies mostly seem to be Python-related, so I can't imagine it being a problem to get it up and running on the Raspberry Pi.
by comprx » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:19 am
I was planning on using Wah!Cade actually.

My biggest issue is finding the right monitor. I used a huge 32" television I got off craigslist for my first one. But I want to make these over and over, so I don't want to rely on Craigslist. I was looking at using a standard LCD but I don't think the Widescreen would look right at all. I am willing to use LCD but I need to find the right screen without breaking the bank. Luckily the screens in the cocktail cabinets are 19" widescreens so when I build those I am set. Still need to find the screen I will be using for the standard uprights though.

Think a 24" widescreen would look terrible?
by singapura » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:38 am
For the actual design of the cab you might want to look at http://www.byoac.com which is a site dedicated to home built arcade cabs. I want to go the easy route and use an iCade as the base.
by j0z0r » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:20 am
Puppy Linux has a branch called Puppy Arcade that is devoted to running emulators. I have a USB stick with it on there to dual boot. It has a nice frontend that you can navigate with a control pad. I think the Puppy Linux guys are excited about the Pi, and will be working to port as soon as they can
by comprx » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:04 am
I have the cabinet and controls handled. As I said only thing that is worrying me is the monitor
by Prometheus » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:57 pm
Quote from singapura on December 21, 2011, 06:38
For the actual design of the cab you might want to look at http://www.byoac.com which is a site dedicated to home built arcade cabs. I want to go the easy route and use an iCade as the base.

I know that comprx already has the cabinet handled and all that, but I just wanted to add this link in response, here. :)

It's a selection of replicas of plans for classic cabinets from the 1980s and 1990s, from stuff like Donkey Kong and Bucky O'Hare, to the six-player X-Men cabinet. I figure that they might be useful to someone!

(Regarding BYOAC, there's also a work-in-progress to document the famous Star Wars cockpit cabinet, too.)
by Jessie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:52 am
Quote from j0z0r on December 21, 2011, 08:20
Puppy Linux has a branch called Puppy Arcade that is devoted to running emulators. I have a USB stick with it on there to dual boot. It has a nice frontend that you can navigate with a control pad. I think the Puppy Linux guys are excited about the Pi, and will be working to port as soon as they can

I have never seen that before, nice. Puppy is supposed to have a R-Pi port in the works I wonder how hard it would be to port this over.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by comprx » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:51 pm
I am actually in contact with a cabinet manufacturer, He stated that he could mass produce the cabinets, so I was thinking of using him and the Raspberry Pi for the unit. As far as the controls go I use Ultimarc.com for the interface and wire in regular arcade buttons and joysticks ect.

I am thinking of grabbing a 24" widescreen monitor and just seeing how bad it really looks
by comprx » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:48 pm
Now I am wondering about how to get Mame (and other emultators) up and running on the Rasp Pi.  I want to compile mame with the hiscore.diff patch

Does anyone have experience doing this in linux? I couldn't find a lot about it via google. Though I did find plenty for windows :(
by Robert_M » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:00 pm
Reading this topic has me thinking I should reconsider getting rid of my old Samsung CRT...
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.
by Prometheus » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:22 am
comprx said:

Now I am wondering about how to get Mame (and other emultators) up and running on the Rasp Pi.  I want to compile mame with the hiscore.diff patch

Does anyone have experience doing this in linux? I couldn't find a lot about it via google. Though I did find plenty for windows :(

I did find this thread about compiling MAME on an XO 1.75 prototype, which is an ARM-based Linux machine, if it's of any help.

Personally, I think I'll have a go with 0.106 or MAME4All (these two having support for hiscore.dat when placed in the required location, and built-in high-score saving, respectively), myself, as I'm none too sure about how anything later would run (0.106 needs some overclocking on the Pandora when it comes to CPS2 stuff, for example, otherwise it will get a bit stuttery with those).
by Jessie » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:20 am
comprx said:

I am actually in contact with a cabinet manufacturer, He stated that he could mass produce the cabinets, so I was thinking of using him and the Raspberry Pi for the unit. As far as the controls go I use Ultimarc.com for the interface and wire in regular arcade buttons and joysticks ect.

I am thinking of grabbing a 24" widescreen monitor and just seeing how bad it really looks

I play on my PC all the time which has a 22" 1080p monitor.  I just turn on the scanline filters and all that other stuff to make it look vintage and it looks great.  I don't know if the R-Pi will have the extra horsepower to run these filters, but a good representation can be had on a modern monitor if needed.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by comprx » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:13 pm
Another issue I think I might run into is simply compiling MAME for the Rpi. I honestly don't know how hard it is to take the MAME linux source code and compile it for the pi?

The same would hold true for the front end (menu)

Here is the front end I was planning on using: http://www.anti-particle.com/w.....cade.shtml

It has a debian package. Will that just work? or does the ARM processor mean it would somehow need to be recompiled? again No real idea on how to do that
by Jessie » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:42 pm
comprx said:

It has a debian package. Will that just work? or does the ARM processor mean it would somehow need to be recompiled? again No real idea on how to do that

In the repository it lists which platforms the package has been compiled for.  In the Debian package directory I see that xmame 0.106 has been compiled for all, and the GUI front end is compiled for armel.  So I would say that there should be no issues just installing these packages.  Performance may be an issue but who knows.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by comprx » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:31 am
So the answer to my question is that if there is a debian package already it should work. (unless I misread that) The fact that the Rpi runs an ARM processor doesn't have any bearing?
by plugwash » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:50 am
Jessie said:

In the repository it lists which platforms the package has been compiled for.

Be aware that many packages don't have any build-time testsuites so just because a program is built for a given architecture doesn't gaurantee it actually works.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Jessie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:14 am
comprx said:

So the answer to my question is that if there is a debian package already it should work. (unless I misread that) The fact that the Rpi runs an ARM processor doesn't have any bearing?

No the fact that it has an ARM processor does have berring.  If the package isn't avalible for ARM than you will have to recompile source code. I am just saying that the Debian libraries state that they packages are compiled for ARM and that (in theroy) they should install and work just fine.

In order to acheave better performance some emulators have hand assembled and optimized code and those would be impossible to port to ARM unless they were specficly written for it.  An example of this would be ZSnes it is hand optimized for x86 processors and couldn't be re-compiled for ARM.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by comprx » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:49 am
Ok so say I want to get all up and rolling when I get my slice of raspberry pi. I get debian up and running on Rpi (assuming there is a simple way to do that).

Then I download the source code for Mame from mamedev.org and I extract it and use the make command (please tell me if I am wrong as I do not inherently know what I am doing)

Once it is "made" from that command I have a ready to use mame executable for the Rpi? All I need at this point is to do essentially the same thing for the Wah!cade Front end?

Or are their ready to use (theoretically) binaries ?
by Jessie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:09 am
If you have trouble getting the debian packages working you will have to get source code.  But all you should have to do is go to the command line and type in a apt-get command for each package and it will handle the details for you, becuase they have the binarys avalible.  I'm no Debian pro but it should be something like apt-get xmame and apt-get (for the GUI which the name of slips my mind.)  After that assuming they work you should be able to dump your roms in the roms directory and roll.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by comprx » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:34 am
Well if it is that simple I think I will do a little dance.

One more question. (related I promise) How do I (not in MAME or the Front end) rotate the screen 90%?

Cocktail cabinets use a 19" widescreen monitor on it's side. so I would need it to boot up at a 90 degree shift. Then the games can switch back and forth with their own 180 flip.

Standard 19" Wide monitor

--------------

-     IMG    -

--------------

How I need it to boot.

---------

- IMG -

-        -

---------

That make any sense?
by tufty » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:25 am
comprx said:

One more question. (related I promise) How do I (not in MAME or the Front end) rotate the screen 90%?

fbdev has a 'rotate' comand-line parameter which rotates the framebuffer by 90, 180 or 270°.  I don't know if a: the broadcom framebuffer driver has this option or b: it would affect the output of stuff going through the opengl layer (I doubt it).

Actually, thinking about it, fbdev is the X backend, not the framebuffer driver itself.  So scratch that.

Simon
by comprx » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:56 pm
So is this more difficult than I expected?

Somehow I thought I would simply open a config file somewhere and put something like "rotate 90".

Is this not the case?

Process I am looking to accomplish:

System powers on, boots Debian, screen is rotated 90deg starts Front end  (menu) for mame

Edit:---- found some info

I found some info that might help but I don't fully grasp what it is saying to do

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewt.....76630.html

I think I just need to ad a line in the grub.conf file that says:

fbcon=rotate:3

Someone please let me know if I have that right.

------   end edit
by comprx » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:49 pm
Once I get all of the settings just the way I want them (including the screen rotation mentioned in my above post. How hard would it be to redo the system to boot with no Linux GUI and go right into the Front end (emulator menu)?

I plan on using gnome or kde while I am setting the system up and tweaking all of the settings. Once I know it is all working though I won't have a need for the desktio gui any more. So to make the machine NOT look like a compute and to hopefully free up some resources, I would like to then either remove the gui, or transfer all of the settigns and files to another SD that has been created without the gui.

Make any sense?