Arch

6 posts
by antiloquax » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:25 pm
After seeing Liam's video on the Arch release, I thought I'd install NetSurf.

Worked fine (after I'd also installed lcms).

I'm using JWM and ROX as window- file-managers.

If anyone has any tips or things to try in the Arch release, please share!

:)
by antiloquax » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:42 pm
I'm having fun with the Arch release. Here's where I am up to with the task if making it into Puppy Linux. :)

[Image Can Not Be Found]
by antiloquax » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:47 am
Arch-PupPi

Oops, the picture didn't work before. To see how Lobster is progressing with his Puppy based on Debian, go here.
by antiloquax » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:13 am
Python 3 on Arch Linux

As the comments from "Commander Coder" make it clear that Python 3 will be the default language in the educational release (woop!), I have installed Python 3 and pygame into my Arch-Arm system. I decided against the version of Python 3 in the Arch repo. There is a way to get Pygame working with it, but without sound.

I tend to use Python 3.1.4 which works very well with the official Pygame release.

Anyway, I have set that up. At some point I will make my arch image available to download, just in case anyone wants to have a play with it.

:)

Anyone else using the Arch release - please share any tips. I am an Arch newbie!
by antiloquax » Wed May 02, 2012 11:50 am
I have been playing around with the Arch release and making it a bit more like Puppy.

If anyone wants to try running my image on qemu, it's here. It has Python and pygame, and some other programming goodies.

I don't know what would happen if you DD'd this into an Arch SD card in replacement of the 2nd partition, but that's what I am hoping to do when my Pi arrives.

The md5sum of the extracted puppi.img is:

66a141b3cb1f1c5b51007b6ae677c789  puppi.img

I love Arch – so much so I have installed it on my PC and laptop alongside Puppy Linux!
by antiloquax » Sat May 05, 2012 9:01 pm
I ran pacman -Syyu yesterday and got a lot of new things downloaded from the repos. Did I
mention how much faster arch is than Debian? At the moment I am using xorg-twm to handle the desktop. It"s basic, but perfectly usable. And with rox providing a pinboard, I am wondering why I would need anything else. Currently I have been compiling some packages that will hopefully form part of the Puppy on Arm release. It just wouldn"t be Puppy without "rubix" ( a neat 3-d rubick's cube simulation)!

rubix :)