Slow down issues with wireless 360 controllers

12 posts
by jacobsson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:59 pm
I am trying to setup two wireless 360 controllers for my retropie/emulationstation.

Problem 1: Can't use controller in Emulationstation front-end
My wireless controller gets "wid 0" assigned by xboxdrv, that's good so far. The problem is when I configure the button mappings with the retroarch-joyconfig. The wireless controller only corresponds to "-j 2" instead of "-j 1" (which seems weird?).
Later on when promted to set up my controller in emulationstation front-end (first start or when deleting the es_input.cfg) it won't be recognized. I have to navigate by keyboard for now, which defeats the purpose of a stand alone retro console.
Question 1: Is it because the controller is set to "-j 2" that I wont work in the front-end and how do I resolve this?

Problem 2: Adding a second wireless controller causes slow down
The first controller works great in-game for every emulator, so I figured that my next step is to add my second one. Therefore I added two more lines in "/etc/rc.local", so now it says:

xboxdrv --dpad-as-button --trigger-as-button --wid 0 --led 2 --deadzone 4000 --silent &
sleep 1
xboxdrv --dpad-as-button --trigger-as-button --wid 1 --led 3 --deadzone 4000 --silent &
sleep 1

(.. And of course the new controller is recognized as "-j 3" and not "-j 1".)

When using one controller all games work perfect. But when using two controllers the emulation starts to slow down alot and serious sound issues occurs.
Question 2: Are two wireless controllers too much for the raspberry to handle or is it any optimization settings for xboxdrv to fix this?

Best regards,
Niclas
by jacobsson » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:39 pm
Anyone? :(
by jacobsson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:59 am
C'mon guys!
by mattie47 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:24 pm
Ever have any luck with fixing this? Got the same issue...
by Aloshi » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:03 pm
Are you having issues with question #1 or question #2?

If it's #2, I'm pretty sure the RPi just has trouble with all the analog stick interrupts - I've had similar problems with myself.
by mattie47 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:28 am
Aloshi wrote:Are you having issues with question #1 or question #2?

If it's #2, I'm pretty sure the RPi just has trouble with all the analog stick interrupts - I've had similar problems with myself.

Sorry for the late reply. Didn't realise someone had responded.

Question #2. Hmm. That could be the case (hopefully not!) , but why do other people with multiple controllers (not necessarily xbox, or wireless) not have issues?

Issue I'm having is, even if I have just 1 controller connected (wirelessly), I still find only 1 in 10 ish key presses actually registers. Also the strange slow emulation issue OP saw.This is after following this guide and adding all 4 controller scripts to rc.local. If I remove (# out) controllers 2-4 config, controller 1 works fine (tested only on NES and Sega games so far).

This post here pretty much sums up what I'm seeing

I think I need to do some more investigation into this, but I'm really hoping I can get two, if not all 4 controllers working on the Pi.

This is my project. Build the Pi into a N64 shell :)
by mattie47 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:43 am
I also saw this thread with similar symptoms, which was apparently caused by "start[ing] xboxdrv from rc.local or another script"

All in all, it's got me quite stumped.
by mattie47 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:05 am
Aloshi wrote: I'm pretty sure the RPi just has trouble with all the analog stick interrupts - I've had similar problems with myself.

Sigh. More investigating suggests you could likely be right. Thought I would have a search under /r/raspberry_pi on reddit, and came across several threads, including this one which suggests there is a genuine usb packet loss issue on the raspberry pi. This is reported here: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/19
by JxPond » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:04 pm
How are you guys connecting your Pi to the Wireless 360 Controllers? I know they are RF as oppose to Bluetooth so on the PC you have to use a Microsoft RF Receiver to get them to work, or mod your own with a PIC Chip.
by meowzen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:16 pm
So has anyone figured this out?? Is it not possible to have two Xbox 360 wireless controllers without button sticking/lag? Even with a powered hub?

If this is a common issue then it should probably be appended to the wiki page on how to set up Xbox 360 controllers. Instead of instructing people on how to set up multiples when it won't work.
by mattie47 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:57 am
JxPond wrote:How are you guys connecting your Pi to the Wireless 360 Controllers? I know they are RF as oppose to Bluetooth so on the PC you have to use a Microsoft RF Receiver to get them to work, or mod your own with a PIC Chip.

Yes this is with the MS wireless gaming receiver.
by mattie47 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:55 am
meowzen wrote:So has anyone figured this out?? Is it not possible to have two Xbox 360 wireless controllers without button sticking/lag? Even with a powered hub?

If this is a common issue then it should probably be appended to the wiki page on how to set up Xbox 360 controllers. Instead of instructing people on how to set up multiples when it won't work.

Yeah that's a pretty fair point. Personally I'm going to do a bit more investigation in the weekend to see if I can get something working, but it's not looking hopeful. I might add I'm using a 7-port 3.5A powered hub.

Because my whole retro project revolves around multiple [wireless] controllers, I may resort to selling my pi, and getting a Cubieboard or MK808b. Both of which can run Android. 1 reason I want to do that, is because I REALLY want N64 emulation. Problem is I feel I'll probably run into other issues. I know the MK808b does N64 emulation sweet (due to another post on here where someone said they had it working fine) but again my concern is controllers, where I doubt there is android emulator support for more than one controller.