How to install DOSbox?

19 posts
by Stigah » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:46 pm
Hello! First of all, I must apologize for my bad English.
I got my Raspberry for just a few days ago. I have never touched Linux before (I have just tested Ubuntu a little bit). I bought my Pi, so I could learn Linux, Python, and other languages. And of course, to have a lot of fun!

So. I wanted to install DOSbox, so I could play old games for MS-DOS.
I downloaded dosbox_0.74.orig.tar.gz on my laptop, and moved it over to the Pi. After a long time, I managed to move the file to the desktop, without using a mouse (I still don't know how to move files with commands, but I manage to move it in the GUI thing)

Anyway. I decompress it with typing: tar -zxvf dosbox_0.74.orig.tar.gz . Now I got a lot of files. A lot of .txt files, .sh, .in and .sub files. But no "exe" file (I know Linux is not using exe, I just forgot the file format Linux is using).
I tried to type sudo dosbox, but it didn't work.

Right now, I have no idea what to do. I know it is possible to run DOSbox on the Pi.

I opened the INSTALL file, that told me I needed something called Simple DirectMedia Library. I downloaded it, placed it in the same folder as DOSbox, and then I decompressed it. It's still not working.

So. Could anybody here please tell me how to do this? Because I am lost right now. I have tried everything, but it dosn't work.

I would really appreciate it if someone here would help me! Thank you! :)
by ghans » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:57 pm
First , do no not try to install anything from the Net , even if it's
labelled "for Linux". In 80 % of the cases it will not work.

PROTIP : Raspbian is essentially Debian
Debian comes with package managment ,
long before Appstores and the like existed. Most Linux distros
have package managment , and under Debian it's called APT
(Advanced Package Managment).
Packages are stored in online repositories , and accessed through
a package manager.

apt-get is a simple command-line tool
aptitude is a graphical package manager
synaptic is a GUI package manager

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install dosbox

DosBOX should appear in the menu.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by Stigah » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:10 pm
Thank you very much! I didn't know it was that easy. Unfortunately, I don't have a wired network right here, so I had to move my Raspberry another place, just to download it. But I can download the games on my laptop, and just move them over to the memory stick.

Anyway. I am having some trouble with DOSBox. When I am pressing Q, I get 7. A is u, H is ], enter is t, etc.
Is there any way to fix this?

When I run DOSbox trought the GUI, I have no problems (Or. DOSbox thinks I have an english keyboard layout, even if I use a scandinavian layout)

In DOSbox, it says: "To activate the keymapper ctrl-F1". But when I press ctrl+F1, I just enter "y,".

So. Do you have any idea what is wrong? Thank you very much for answering!
by Cloudcentric » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:24 pm
I know everything about nothing"
by Stigah » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:29 am
Yes, I have looked there aswell. I am going to write an answer soon. But I still get the error. I did download DOSbox using
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install dosbox

Then I try to run DOSbox from the command line, by just entering "DOSbox". The program starts fine, but I can't enter anything. Or, I can, but it's just random numbers and letters.
by ghans » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:24 pm
Try
sudo raspi-config

and adjusting you regional settings (keyboard layout , etc.) .

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by Stigah » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:58 pm
Thank you for answering!
I have done that already. I changed language to Norwegian, and keyboard layout to Norwegian. It works fine when writing in e.g. Nano, or the web browser. The only program I have problems with the Norwegian keyboard layout, is DOSbox.
by ghans » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:59 pm
AFAIK DosBOX has it's own keyboard settings too ...
you should check the docs !

ghans
by LemmeFatale » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:12 pm
Whilst I haven't used DOSBox on my Raspberry Pi at this time, I'm not aware of any differences from the norm that will render this advice incorrect...

Take a look at the file dosbox.conf - with any luck, this should be in your home directory (that is, /home/pi if you haven't changed from the default user - if you have, then simply substitute your actual username instead of "pi"). You can open it with any text editor.

In there, you should be able to find the following towards the end of the file;

[dos]
# xms: Enable XMS support.
# ems: Enable EMS support.
# umb: Enable UMB support.
# keyboardlayout: Language code of the keyboard layout (or none).

xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=none

As the commented-out lines in the file indicate, you should be able to input the correct country-code in place of none here, and this should get it using the correct keyboard layout. In this case, you need to write the country code for Norway, which is no - as far as I know, and according to this, this needs to be lower-case.

Hopefully this should fix it!
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box
by obcd » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:30 pm
There is a "use scancode" (something like it) in the dosbox.conf settings. To my knowledge it has to be on for the Pi keyboard to work as expected.
by Stigah » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:13 pm
Thank you both for answering! I have been looking for the file "dosbox.conf" for a hour now, and I can't find it.
In /home/pi/ I have Desktop, mcpi, minecraft-pi-0.1.1.tar.gz and python_games
In /home/pi/Desktop/dosbox, I have the following files/folders:

acinclude.m4, AUTHORS, ChangeLOG, config.h.in, configure, COPYING, docs, INSTALL, Makefile.am missing, README, THANKS, aclocal.m4, autogen.sh, config.guess, config.sub, configure.in, depcomp, include, install-sh, Makefile.in, NEWS, src and visualc_net, but no dosbox.conf.

I have of course looked trought all the files with the name "config". config.h.in, configure, config.sub, configure.in, but it's not there. I have opened all the files in Nano, and searched for "keyboardlayout", but I can't find anything.
by obcd » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:07 pm
The dosbox.conf file is created in a hidden folder .dosbox.
Note the dot in front of the folder that makes it hidden.
Try sudo find / -name .dosbox or sudo find / -name dosbox.conf
by Stigah » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:17 pm
Thank you very much! I found the file, and I found the following:
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=auto

I changed it from auto to no, (keyboardlayout=no) but it's still not working.
obcd wrote:There is a "use scancode" (something like it) in the dosbox.conf settings. To my knowledge it has to be on for the Pi keyboard to work as expected.

usescancodes was already set to true.

EDIT:
I changed usescancodes to false, and now it's working perfect! I can now use DOSbox! Thank you very much, everybody! Thank you! :D
by Jessie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:46 am
I never got dosbox working in with Raspbian without running it from within LXDE. I tried and tried to get it going from the CLI and I kept having the exact same issue with the KB and random lock-ups. There are users here that have gotten it to work, but none of their fixes worked for me. From what I understand performance isn't that different. The performance is pretty bad, I couldn't run Quest for Glory 1 without it slowing down on some screens. Adding "core = simple" to the conf file buys you some extra speed but not much and it will cost you compatability of some software (none that I tried though.) I also never got sound working with it in Raspbian.

fastdosbox for RiscOS is much faster but I haven't wrapped my head around RiscOS yet so I have yet to do anything useful with it yet. But from my preliminary useage it seems to be much speedier.

Edit: Sorry just noticed your edit.
Click my website link under my avitar for the RetroPie 2.3 guide in progress.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by ulysess » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:55 am
did you try rpix86?

Pi Store: http://store.raspberrypi.com/projects/rpix86
Mis apuntes de...Raspberry Pi: http://misapuntesde.com
Google Docs RPi: http://goo.gl/Iwhbq
by Jessie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:44 pm
ulysess wrote:did you try rpix86?

Pi Store: http://store.raspberrypi.com/projects/rpix86

I have not. Thanks for pointing it out I will give it a go this weekend. Just in time to have some people over for some old school dos games.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Jessie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:45 am
I could not get rpix86 to install through the pistore. I would like to give it a go. But I have the feeling I'm going to have to download it straight from the author when I have time.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Pate » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:37 am
Jessie, what sort of a problem did you get with the install? Feel free to reply into the rpix86 thread, to keep this thread about DOSBox and not rpix86.

If you got the zip to download, you can simply unzip it and run it, it does not actually need much in the way of installation. :)

Pate
Working on rpix86: http://rpix86.patrickaalto.com
by franck » Mon May 20, 2013 5:40 pm
Hi,

Just to mention that FastDosbox, already popular on RISC OS is now available for Raspbian for the Raspberry Pi on the PiStore : http://store.indiecity.com/projects/fastdosbox
FastDosbox 1.5 brings to the Pi an enhanced experience of DOS emulation, running in full screen mode (with no borders), running at the speed of a 386 @ 25Mhz, all of this with the usual features of Dosbox.
Franck / NoRisc-NoFun - franck@norisc-nofun.co.uk
http://www.norisc-nofun.co.uk
Twitter : @noriscnofun1