Minecraft server running on RaspPi

14 posts
by RattyDAVE » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:46 am
Hi,

I have compiled a mc-server from mc-server.org

To have a look at my sever connect to .....

pucknell2.homeip.net:25565

----

Heres how I did it!

sudo apt-get install subversion
svn checkout http://mc-server.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ mc-server-read-only
cd mc-server-read-only
make release=1
#Make a cup of tea. Get some choc biscuits too. This takes over an hour to compile.

cd MCServer
./MCServer

#We are Running!

In a browser go to ... http://Rasp.Pi.IpAddress:8081
username is admin
password is admin

Fire up a minecraft session on your PC.

Connect to .....

Rasp.Pi.Ip.Address:25565

To keep it running when I logoff I like to use tmux
tmux is just like screen but I think much better.

sudo apt-get install tmux
tmux

then in that screen run the mc server

when you relogin you can issue a

tmux attach

DAVE
by Davespice » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:16 pm
Good work, I am going to try this myself.
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by RattyDAVE » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:48 pm
I have tar'ed and gziped my compiled version.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hbg7ksrbfl46zbn/B2H9o7HZfo

Just extract the file and run.

tar xvfz MCServer_PI.tar.gz
cd MCServer
./MCServer

* Disclamer. The program is NOT my work I have nothing to do with this except compiled and tar'ed. If I am not ment to distribute like this then sorry I didnt know.. Just thought It would be helpful. If you want to me to remove then please ask and ill do right away... Sorry Guv!....
by Davespice » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:28 am
RattyDAVE wrote:* Disclamer. The program is NOT my work I have nothing to do with this except compiled and tar'ed. If I am not ment to distribute like this then sorry I didnt know.. Just thought It would be helpful. If you want to me to remove then please ask and ill do right away... Sorry Guv!....

I think you're okay, I had a look and it uses the Apache 2 License. Important bit here;

4. Redistribution wrote:You may reproduce and distribute copies of the Work or Derivative Works thereof in any medium, with or without modifications, and in Source or Object form, provided that You meet the following conditions:

1. You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative Works a copy of this License; and
  2. You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating that You changed the files; and
  3. You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that You distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices from the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works; and
  4. If the Work includes a "NOTICE" text file as part of its distribution, then any Derivative Works that You distribute must include a readable copy of the attribution notices contained within such NOTICE file, excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works, in at least one of the following places: within a NOTICE text file distributed as part of the Derivative Works; within the Source form or documentation, if provided along with the Derivative Works; or, within a display generated by the Derivative Works, if and wherever such third-party notices normally appear. The contents of the NOTICE file are for informational purposes only and do not modify the License. You may add Your own attribution notices within Derivative Works that You distribute, alongside or as an addendum to the NOTICE text from the Work, provided that such additional attribution notices cannot be construed as modifying the License. You may add Your own copyright statement to Your modifications and may provide additional or different license terms and conditions for use, reproduction, or distribution of Your modifications, or for any such Derivative Works as a whole, provided Your use, reproduction, and distribution of the Work otherwise complies with the conditions stated in this License.

So I don’t think you’ve done anything wrong by simply giving instructions on how to build the source and offering a copy of the binaries you’ve made.

Anyway, on a more fun note. I’ve also tried this and I can verify that it does work. I’ve also had a multiplayer session with a friend of mine who lives about 300 miles away and he didn’t experience any lag. Although he did say it took a while to download all the chunks of the map.

We did find a number of game play related issues though and it appears that the server code may not be 100% finished yet. Building from trunk I would expect things like this so not to worry. Here are the issues we found;

1. When a player joins the map, sometimes a delay in loading the map chunks means that they fall through the floor until the map loads around them. Whereupon they must mine their way back up to the surface.
  2. Redstone doesn’t appear to be 100% functional. We were trying to get a pressure plate to trigger a door opening but we were unable to make this work.
  3. You can mine all the way to the bottom of the map and fall through into space. You must then use the /spawn command.
  4. I also couldn’t figure out how to enable survival mode, but that might be my own fault / not knowing what I am doing.
by RattyDAVE » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:51 pm
Since this post i have been playing with a bukkit server. FULL minecraft server!

I changed the rasp pi so I had more memory.. So only gave 16meg to the GPU and also stopped Xserver from starting.

It seems I can get maybe 3 or 4 clients running with no issues.. No where near as quick or memory efficient as the "clones".

Here is how I did it.

Code: Select all
mkdir mcbukkit
cd mcbukkit
wget --no-cookies --header "Cookie: gpw_e24=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oracle.com" http://www.java.net/download/JavaFXarm/jdk-8-ea-b36e-linux-arm-hflt-29_nov_2012.tar.gz
tar xvf jdk-8-ea-b36e-linux-arm-hflt-29_nov_2012.tar.gz
wget http://dl.bukkit.org/downloads/craftbukkit/get/01845_1.4.7-R1.0/craftbukkit.jar
./jdk1.8.0/bin/java -Xms175M -jar craftbukkit.jar

Then once the world has been created. Type "stop" (no quotes). And run the rest.

mkdir plugins
cd plugins
wget http://dev.bukkit.org/media/files/586/974/NoSpawnChunks.jar
cd ..
sed "s/online-mode=true/online-mode=false/" -i server.properties
./jdk1.8.0/bin/java -Xms175M -jar craftbukkit.jar
by RattyDAVE » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:45 pm
Oh while you are there... You might want to put this in the plugins directory.

wget http://dev.bukkit.org/media/files/663/611/raspberryjuice-1.1.1.jar
by RattyDAVE » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:41 am
Currently I am running MC-SERVER and going to stick with it.

The latest version is revision 1276 and this seems to be twice as fast and also less memory usage.

Simple Redstone machines are working and also I have a few plugins. A nice one is the TreeAssist, If you take out the bottom wooden block of a tree with an axe the whole tree comes down and you get all the wood.

Server address: pucknell2.homeip.net
by zproc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:45 pm
For those running or trying to run bukkit, anyone tried Spigot?

I've just found about it a little bit earlier, it's an optimized bukkit mod i read on their website, just watching 'top' with one client seems like it's easier on the CPU, but I can't test with more players for now as bukkit and Spigot are still in 1.4.7 and the players I know have updated to 1.5. If anybody tests with a few players before i can, i'd want to hear about the results, thanks. :)

Just for info, right now, only walking with a view distance of 6 or 7 defined on the server properties, the CPU oscillates between 40%-55% in survival. 30% if i don't do anything. And i think bukkit even with nospawnchunks is generally around 80% without me even walking. (same version, 1.4.7 and my overclock is on medium i think)
by zproc » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:52 pm
So, to report back, the Spigot server was running very well with 5 players in survival. i haven't tested with more players but that's great news for me. :)
by dh04000 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:38 am
Is it possible that someone whom is an expert in minecraft server admin'ing could do some tests with bukkit and spigot to see what the optimum set-up is?

Personally, I'd love a set-up as such:
1) Up to 5 people
2) Lag Free
3) Red Stone machines that don't include clocks (those lag even more powerful servers)
4) Allows spawning (maybe 100-200 mobs for the entire server?)
5) Standard admin plugins

Then write up what combo of plugin's allowed for this set up?
by mrpi64 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:39 am
Nice! might try it out sometime! :D
I'm happy to help.
http://goo.gl/TAUaLS - List of games that work on the Pi.
by IAmRaspbian » Wed May 08, 2013 6:47 am
IS the link to the Raspi Pi:8080 thing still working?
by chromebookbob » Sun May 12, 2013 5:16 pm
I have been running a spigot server for 2 months now on my PI it runs like a dream. Put togwether optimal instructions at picraftbukkit.webs.com
my IP is: picraft.no-ip.biz:25565
Visit my Pi powered Tekkit Lite Minecraft Server: picraft.no-ip.biz:25565 (Whitelist, sorry!)
and my website with instructions on it for both vanilla and Tekkit Lite Servers: www.picraftbukkit.webs.com
by mrpi64 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:04 am
nice one!
I'm happy to help.
http://goo.gl/TAUaLS - List of games that work on the Pi.