ADVMAME - A "Beginners Guide" to Compiling and Using

69 posts   Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3
by welshy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:59 am
I have compiled Advmame 0.106.0 and 0.106.1 consistently with this method using image 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian (And two previous versions), my RPi is 256MEG and over clocked to 900MHz. As I have previously posted, MAME uses individual drivers for Boards/Games and is structured for accuracy in emulation, NOT optimised for Performance, be realistic with what you try and run! (Most boards up to and including Capcom CPS hardware (Ghouls and Ghosts, Street Fighter II) are perfectly acceptable play wise, although Irem M72 hardware (R-Type, Vigilante, Hammerin’ Harry etc), along with it’s derivative Boards DON’T seem to work even though I spotted the Drivers being compiled!)* I have found ANY Atari game that used speech is poorly emulated, Gauntlet, Paperboy, Star Wars etc, even though they run on completely different hardware. Looking at the board configurations, I think the custom “pokey” chips (Which process the “speech”) that are the issue! Star Wars had FOUR of them! Some early Arcade Games used additional “discrete” TTL Logic circuits for sound (Astro Blaster, Berzerk, Donkey Kong (Certain Sounds e.g. The “Jump”), Gorf etc). Mame CAN NOT emulate these so they require Samples to run correctly (Put them in the “sample” folder). MAME requires the need of the correct ROM revision for individual versions of the core program! Luckily, it will DISPLAY and NAME the missing Rom files, so just try another ROM rev. The first time ONLY using WILLIAMS 6809 REV.1 hardware (Defender, Joust, Robotron etc) it will load, then “hang” on “Factory Settings Restored”, just press F3 (Reset Game) or exit and re-enter Advmame (Remember, it’s emulating “REAL” hardware!)

*Additional Information: Neo-Geo MVS games run MUCH more efficiently in GnGeo (Even though it’s based on MAME cores): MAME 10-20 FPS, Gngeo 50-60 FPS. Unfortunately with EMU’s there is NEVER a one stop, PERFECT solution!

Source Code - Advmame 0.106.0.tar.gz
Dependencies - sdl1.2-dev
Additional Files Required - Game ROMS, SAMPLES and BIOS FILES (e.g. Neo-Geo)

1. Compile STRAIGHT from Terminal (DON’T go into X)
2. Make sure you have the RAM split set up attributing ALL the RAM to the ARM (Use the config (sudo raspi-config))
3. Compile as ROOT (Set up a root password for this if you haven’t already! (sudo passwd root)
4. Install libsdl1.2-dev dependencies (apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev)
5. Install the GCC 4.7 Compiler (apt-get install gcc-4.7)
6. Change over to the 4.7 Compiler -
export CC=gcc-4.7
export GCC=g++-4.7
Now just CD into the directory where you uncompressed the source code
./configure
make
make install (Optional, but useful in this case as running straight from Terminal (Not in X) gives a significant performance increase!)
7. Once it has completed compiling (It will take a few hour’s!!!) exit ROOT
8. Now start the executable so it sets up all the correct folders Type -
advmame (Hopefully it will give you a message telling you it’s set these up!)
9. Start X
10. There should now be a hidden folder .advance
11. Put any ROMS you have in the appropriate folder (rom)
12. In the advmame.rc add the line -
device_video_clock 5 - 50 / 15.62 / 50 ; 5 - 50 / 15.73 / 60
(This will force the correct output to HDMI)
13. Save it
14. Exit X
15. Now just type advmame “Name of ROM”

Controls
Escape - Exit
TAB - Options Menu (Navigate with Cursor Keys and Enter)
5 - Add Coins
1 - 1 Player
2 - 2 Players

Control is with the cursor Keys, Fire/Jump Buttons are generally - Left Ctrl, Space and Left Alt. ALL Options for Control Settings, Video, Sound, Dip Switches etc are easily customisable in the Options Menu and saveable for General (ALL Games) or Individual Games

AdvMESS (A Multiple Computer/Console EMU) and AdvMENU (A neat Front End for those who DON’T like command Line, or like me, DON’T want to keep CD’ing into folders to see what they have (I’ve got upwards of 120 games running in MAME/MESS alone!) can also be compiled using the above method

Please let me know if my instructions work ok. I wrote them "on the fly" in reply to a post from my unfinished "Emulators on the RPi" draft notes and as such haven't checked them "step by step" compiling it myself! However, having compiled it several occasions it shouldn't be a problem, but, I may have missed a step!

Check out my "Best Emulators on Pi" thread, if anybody has any question on any of the emulators listed there, if asked, I can post a "Beginners Guide" for them!
by Otaku888 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:25 pm
Fantastic! Thanks welshy. Perhaps this should go in the wiki?

I know I would love a Beginners Guide for all the emulators you list, although that is perhaps way too much work for one person!
by welshy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:26 pm
Otaku888
Thanks for the reply! It is nice to see written confirmation my work is being appreciated with a congratulatory post! My aim was to post a guide covering all the aspects of MAME for the inexperienced with using emulators and a bit of “edutainment” additional information

I DID miss some additional helpful advice though -
MAME settings are infinitely customisable. I have found the “default” settings read from the advmame.rc are perfectly acceptable in MOST cases but there are a few exceptions -

1. The “default” advmame.rc, display_color is “auto”. Vector games - Asteroids, Star Wars, etc will suffer from an incorrect application. DON’T change the advmame.rc! In the Options Menu (TAB) navigate to Video, Color and change “auto” to “bgr16” then “Save for this Game”
2. The “default” advmame.rc, display_mode is “auto” and display_magnify is “1”. This will affect certain games which will suffer from an incorrect application in Aspect Ratio (I’ve found Hyper Sports, I-Robot and Track and Field so far). Again, DONT change the advmame.rc! In the Options Menu (TAB) navigate to Video, magnify and change “1” to “2” then “Save for this Game”
3. The ONLY advmame.rc setting I WOULD change is display_resizeeffect from “auto” to “none”. Personally, I’m not a great fan of any of these in emulation and they WILL be applied when you change the magnification mode as described above. However, you can scroll through them in the Video Options Menu, experiment, see if like any of them!

One last thing -
For those of us old enough to remember “Arcades”, ever wonder why the SAME game was harder/easier in one venue than in others? Well, they probably WERE! Inside the cabinet there were often toggle “DIP” switches that could be set to change difficulty, lives, extras etc by the proprietor. These are emulated in MAME and can also be configured - Options (TAB), Dip Switches

Regarding other Guides, the next one will probably be on MESS, which I referenced in this one, unless you have another to request first?

If you are interested in Neo-Geo emulation, GnGeo has greatly improved performance compared to Advmame, see the guide here -
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=22302

Thanks again!
by normal » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:24 pm
When I try compiling 106.1 I get:
Code: Select all
src/cpu/sh2/sh2.c: In function 'sh2_get_info':
src/cpu/sh2/sh2.c:3217:1: error: unrecognizable insn:
(insn 2034 2033 2035 183 (set (subreg:SI (reg:DI 362 [ sh2.irq_line_state ]) 0)
        (sign_extend:SI (mem/s/j/c:QI (plus:SI (reg/f:SI 361)
                    (const_int 260 [0x104])) [0 sh2.irq_line_state+0 S1 A32]))) src/cpu/sh2/sh2.c:3111 -1
     (nil))
src/cpu/sh2/sh2.c:3217:1: internal compiler error: in extract_insn, at recog.c:2109
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.6/README.Bugs> for instructions.
Preprocessed source stored into /tmp/ccCUkChM.out file, please attach this to your bugreport.
make: *** [obj/mame/linux/blend/cpu/sh2/sh2.o] Error 1

I uploaded /tmp/ccCUkChM.out at http://pastebin.com/bKcjHDc3
by welshy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:55 pm
normal
I know this was a problem in the early days of compiling AdvMAME, I haven't experienced it myself using the above method. I think it's the 4.6 compiler that's the problem (That's why your getting a compiler error!)! Delete the uncompressed folder and start again and MAKE SURE it's using the 4.7 Compiler! These are the important steps -

5. Install the GCC 4.7 Compiler (apt-get install gcc-4.7)
6. Change over to the 4.7 Compiler -
export CC=gcc-4.7
export GCC=g++-4.7

When you start the configure script, note WHICH compiler it's using (It WILL tell you within the first few lines!)

Don't forget DO NOT use "SUDO" commands, log into Terminal as ROOT!
by buitaker » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:04 am
Hello.
Thanks for this post, I have already compiled advmame and admenu. But like everybody says, in some cases the performance is painfull.

I have a v0.55 complete rom set, so I tried to compiled the v0.55.2 advmame version, expecting some performance improvement.
But I can't compile with the v106.1 instructions.

Can any body helpme?
Thank's in advance.
by Rhysendicott » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:46 am
I sorry for the dumb question but I cant find my .configure folder I have reinstalled and still no luck.
by welshy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:39 am
buitaker
I did try a few versions of AdvMAME and they compiled using the above instructions (Though NOT v0.55, that’s a VERY OLD version btw! Circa 2001!). I didn’t want to go into TOO MUCH detail of MAME as the guide was for “newbie’s”, but, If you Download a Binary of MAME (Use MAME 0.106) you can use CLRMAME to upgrade/downgrade your ROMS to that revision (For instance, I DOWN graded my Killer Instinct CHD (Which 0.106.1 COULND'T see) with CHDMAN (DON'T get exited! It ISN'T Playable!!! It was just a TEST)
You state “in some cases the performance is painful" which games are you trying to run? I did put in the Guide some information on ROM performance, but I stress again, BE REALISTIC on what it’s going to run!!! Especially as the graphics drivers on Raspbian are “beta” it ISN’T getting additional help/performance from the GPU (This may improve when the drivers are “final”)! I have approximately 80 games running without ANY performance issues. Just a few points -

1. Is your RPi over clocked? (Mine is, but “ONLY” to 900MHz)

In the advmame.rc -

1. Is display_frameskip “auto”? (It SHOULD be with “default” settings)
2. Are the display_mode “auto” and display_magnify “1”? (Again, should be on” default” settings!)

One last thing, you are running AdvMAME straight from Terminal? Not in “X”???

Hope that Helps!
by canibalimao » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:20 pm
Excellent tutorial welshy!

Could you please tell me how can I install AdvMENU? My ROM folder is starting to get a mess and I don't want to navigate there all the time to found what roms I have and what's their names...
by welshy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:49 pm
canibalimao
NP! Use EXACTLY the same steps as described above! (But it only takes a short while to compile). As posted, I'm using it now with about 140 games in MAME/MESS can be a problematic "remembering" what u have got!!!
by welshy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:51 pm
Rhysendicott
That's OK, once you have run advmame the first time it should set it up automatically (It tells you its done it!). Its a "hidden" folder in - home/pi. Just right click on your mouse and tick the "show hidden folders" box! (Sorry, I did miss that from the Guide!)
by canibalimao » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:23 pm
welshy wrote:canibalimao
NP! Use EXACTLY the same steps as described above! (But it only takes a short while to compile). As posted, I'm using it now with about 140 games in MAME/MESS can be a problematic "remembering" what u have got!!!

Thanks, but I can't find the AdvMAME source files :(
by welshy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:39 pm
by canibalimao » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:01 pm

I've installed it, and all went fine, but wen I try to run it, I get these errors:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ advmenu
AdvanceMENU - Copyright (C) 1999-2008 by Andrea Mazzoleni
Error reading at line 385801 for element/attribute `' for unclosed token.
Error reading the 'advmame' information from file
'/home/pi/.advance/advmame.xml'.
Emulator 'advmame' without game information, ignoring it.
No working emulator found. Adjust the `emulator' options in your configuration
file. These options are documented in the `advmenu.txt' file.
by welshy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:43 am
canibalimao
It looks like AdvMENU isn't seeing - advmame.xml from the .advance folder (That’s where AdvMENU keeps the data of game lists you have for AdvMAME on boot). In the .advance folder you SHOULD have advancemame.rc, advancemenu.rc and advmame.xml config files. If NOT there was an error in the initial "default" set up. I suggest DELETING the advancemenu.rc and the advmame.xml config files (IF they are there!) and try running AdvMENU again so it sets up these initial files. Make sure when you initially run AdvMENU, AdvMAME or AdvMESS it’s as "user" NOT "root" (The permissions will be affected if not!)

One Last Thing, I notice the line “Error reading at line 385801 for element/attribute `' for unclosed token.”
I’m NOT SURE which line of code that is, however, you DON’T need the line device_video_clock 5 - 50 / 15.62 / 50 ; 5 - 50 / 15.73 / 60 added to the advancemenu.rc, MAYBE its causing the problem! Try REMOVING it first and run AdvMENU again!
by buitaker » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:49 am
by welshy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:39 am
buitaker
If you Download a Binary of MAME (Use MAME 0.106) you can use CLRMAME to upgrade/downgrade your ROMS to that revision

Yes, I know about CLRMAME. But it's hard to find a v106 complete set, or an upper version with his rollback set.

You state “in some cases the performance is painful" which games are you trying to run?

The performance it's ok with some games like gng, but very poor with others like R-Type, Gemini Wings or Dangar.

Is your RPi over clocked? (Mine is, but “ONLY” to 900MHz)
Is display_frameskip “auto”? (It SHOULD be with “default” settings)
Are the display_mode “auto” and display_magnify “1”? (Again, should be on ”default” settings!)

Yes, I have display_frameskip and display_mode seted in 'auto', and display_magnify also in '1'.
My rpi has a moderate overclock, 900MHz seted with raspberry-config tool.
I have tried a short time with 1000MHz overclock, and games like Dangar become ok... :shock:
I hope that a new SDL drivers using GPU will help us... :?

One last thing, you are running AdvMAME straight from Terminal? Not in “X”???

Always, I'm a console user! ;)

A tip for canibalimao, set this in your .advance/advmenu.rc:
emulator "AdvanceMAME" advmame "<your_path>/advmame"
emulator_titles "AdvanceMAME" "<your_path>/rom-titles
device_joystick auto (If doesn't works try raw or event)
mode list_mixed

Info from http://www.craswer.net/2012/08/advmame-y-advmenu-en-raspberry-pi/

Happy gaming! :D
by welshy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:35 am
buitaker
Noted, ALL good points! But it's not easy to GUESS how much experience someone has with MAME, or RPi/running emulators for that matter, from a SHORT post! (It wasn't my intention to be condescending or "teach an old dog new tricks"). With respect to craswer’s BLOG, adjustments to the advmenu.rc shouldn’t be needed with AdvMAME, as it’s an associated program, it SHOULD be automatic! Generally, you only need to change it to set up emulators “OTHER” than the Adv suite! (My MAME AND MESS set up “automatically” with NO PROBLEMS!).

But, then again, one of the reason's I DON'T use a front end for emulation is that MOST of them come with a "simple" front end in X86/Pentium Binaries anyway nowadays and they are not really needed (Unless you have a DEDICATED Cabinet Set up!)

I don't know about you, but for me this is a bit like like going back 15 Years to when emulation first started and you needed a SEPARATE EMU for EACH arcade manufacturer (Before they got assimilated into MAME), e.g. Raine, Callus, System16, RAGE and "M72" for IREM Boards (Shame there isn't a LINUX version (ONLY DOS), I LOOKED! Would probably have given better results than AdvMAME! I recall it was the LAST individual EMU I abandoned before going FULLY over to MAME for Arcade emulation at the time, probably because of an "upgrade" of my PC from Pentium to Pentium 3) and EVERYTHING was "Command Line"

Like you suggest (And I’ve posted elsewhere*) once the drivers are out of “beta” and MAME is getting assistance from the GPU things SHOULD improve considerably!

*“In the case of the RPi's GPU, at the moment MOST software DOESN'T even use it! When the "beta" OpenGL and SDL drivers are completed hopefully we will see a BIG improvement (If you have looked at VLC against OMX media players it's VERY noticeable! (OMX the drivers are optimised)).
Another problem is Linux there are FAR MORE x86/Pentium emulators out there, and Debian (On which Raspberian) is based isn't really used by the gaming community for emulators especially with ARM processors (From what I’ve seen Ubuntu is the distro of choice judging by the “Binaries” available!). Hopefully, when Android (Ice Cream Sandwich) is finally released for RPi that should help! (Lots of hardware gaming systems use Android! WITH ARM! AND there are COUNTLESS more emulators for it!)”
by canibalimao » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:17 pm
welshy wrote:canibalimao
It looks like AdvMENU isn't seeing - advmame.xml from the .advance folder (That’s where AdvMENU keeps the data of game lists you have for AdvMAME on boot). In the .advance folder you SHOULD have advancemame.rc, advancemenu.rc and advmame.xml config files. If NOT there was an error in the initial "default" set up. I suggest DELETING the advancemenu.rc and the advmame.xml config files (IF they are there!) and try running AdvMENU again so it sets up these initial files. Make sure when you initially run AdvMENU, AdvMAME or AdvMESS it’s as "user" NOT "root" (The permissions will be affected if not!)

One Last Thing, I notice the line “Error reading at line 385801 for element/attribute `' for unclosed token.”
I’m NOT SURE which line of code that is, however, you DON’T need the line device_video_clock 5 - 50 / 15.62 / 50 ; 5 - 50 / 15.73 / 60 added to the advancemenu.rc, MAYBE its causing the problem! Try REMOVING it first and run AdvMENU again!

Those files are on the respective folder. I've checked that right after the error... And I don't put the "device_video_clock" line on the advmenu config file, just on the advmame's.

buitaker wrote:A tip for canibalimao, set this in your .advance/advmenu.rc:
mode list_mixed

Thank you. I'll try this later when I get home.

If this don't work I'll try the welshy method.

Thank you booth :D
by buitaker » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:55 pm
Noted, ALL good points! But it's not easy to GUESS how much experience someone has with MAME, or RPi/running emulators for that matter, from a SHORT post! (It wasn't my intention to be condescending or "teach an old dog new tricks").

Nevermind! The forum needs guys like you, there is a lot of info out there, and it seems that you aren't new in emulation matters... ;)

With respect to craswer’s BLOG, adjustments to the advmenu.rc shouldn’t be needed with AdvMAME, as it’s an associated program, it SHOULD be automatic! Generally, you only need to change it to set up emulators “OTHER” than the Adv suite! (My MAME AND MESS set up “automatically” with NO PROBLEMS!).

Mmmmmm... May be I need it because I haven't installed the binaries and aren't in the PATH variable, I just copied them to my home directory...

But, then again, one of the reason's I DON'T use a front end for emulation is that MOST of them come with a "simple" front end in X86/Pentium Binaries anyway nowadays and they are not really needed (Unless you have a DEDICATED Cabinet Set up!)

I NEED a front end, my project it's install a Raspberry Pi inside a joystick, I want to do a kind of self contained plug&play mame joystick! :D

Like you suggest (And I’ve posted elsewhere*) once the drivers are out of “beta” and MAME is getting assistance from the GPU things SHOULD improve considerably!
*“In the case of the RPi's GPU, at the moment MOST software DOESN'T even use it! When the "beta" OpenGL and SDL drivers are completed hopefully we will see a BIG improvement (If you have looked at VLC against OMX media players it's VERY noticeable! (OMX the drivers are optimised)).

I pray for it every nigth... ;-)
Anybody knows if exists any project working in that drivers? I want to know the status os the developvement.
by canibalimao » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:41 pm
buitaker wrote:A tip for canibalimao, set this in your .advance/advmenu.rc:
mode list_mixed

I'm sorry for all my questions, but I can't find those files "advmame" and "rom-titles". I put this path
/home/pi/AdvanceMAME_RaspberryPi/advmame

And get this error:
pi@raspberrypi ~/AdvanceMAME_RaspberryPi $ advmenu
AdvanceMENU - Copyright (C) 1999-2008 by Andrea Mazzoleni
Emulator '/home/pi/AdvanceMAME_RaspberryPi/advmame' not found, ignoring it.
No emulator found. Add an `emulator' option in your configuration file. These
options are documented in the `advmenu.txt' file.

I don't know whats the problem... If I type "advmame *gamename*" I don't have a single error, but with the advmenu the result isn't the same...

Here you have the contents of my AdvanceMAME_RaspberryPi folder:

pi@raspberrypi ~/AdvanceMAME_RaspberryPi $ ls
aclocal.m4                       advv           COPYING          missing
advance                          BUILD          description-pak  obj
advancemame_0.106.1-1_armhf.deb  config.guess   doc              README
advcfg                           config.log     doc-pak          README.md
advj                             config.status  HISTORY          RELEASE
advk                             config.sub     install-sh       root.mak
advm                             configure      Makefile         src
advmame                          configure.ac   Makefile.in      support
advs                             contrib        Makefile.usr

EDIT: forget this! I follow the welshy tips and it worked! Just removed the advmenu.rc and advmame.xml files and it is working now! :D

The only problem is that the admenu have the letters too small for my TV (I'm using the analog output). I think this solves if I use the HDMI output.

Thank you two very much for the tips and the patience! :D
Now let's fill the SD card with awesome ROMS :mrgreen:
by Texcoco » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:21 am
Welshy, I would love to have a beginners guide for MESS. Now you have at least one vote for MESS.

I tried to follow the instructions here to get MESS running, but ran into a problem:
http://blog.sheasilverman.com/2012/07/raspberry-pi-and-mess-multi-system-emulator-nes-gamegear-genesis/#comment-703
I am having the same problem that others have run into. When I try to run it from the command line I get the following:

AdvanceMESS – Copyright…etc
MESS – Copyright…etc
MAME – Copyright…etc
No video modes available for the current game.
Unable to start video emulation

If run startx and type the same command into the terminal I get the same first 3 copyright lines followed by a different error:
Signal SIGBUS[ADRALN], fault at 0x9a8323e6, from code at (nil)
Compiled Jun 21 2012, 19:26:16
No stack backtrace: compile without CFLAGS=-fomit-frame-pointer and with LDFLAGS=-rdynamic

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I am new to Linux, and emulators. Thanks.
by welshy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:59 am
Texcoco
Thanks for the reply (And Request), I will produce an “ADVMESS - A "Beginners Guide" to Compiling and Using” manual and post it in due course (Hopefully over the wkend!)
by dbinaz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:34 pm
Is it ok to use the 2012-10-28-wheezy-raspbian version for this?
by canibalimao » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:07 pm
dbinaz wrote:Is it ok to use the 2012-10-28-wheezy-raspbian version for this?

Yes. I'm using that version and this runs perfectly!
by Texcoco » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:36 am
welshy wrote:Texcoco
Thanks for the reply (And Request), I will produce an “ADVMESS - A "Beginners Guide" to Compiling and Using” manual and post it in due course (Hopefully over the wkend!)

Great. I can't wait. Thanks for being willing to share your knowledge and experience.