advmame sound & certain roms

8 posts
by omegacon » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:27 pm
so just got my pi in the other day. i am planning on using mame on it, then putting it into a xgaming arcade controller to make some sort of plug and play (by hdmi) arcade machine. so i installed advmame and set the raspi-config to turbo mode and certain games like willow, final fight work fine however, my true love, street fighter alpha 3 runs pretty slow even after turbo mode and setting priority to -15 (although seemed to help).

also i cant get the sound to work (cant adjust to above 0db).

anything else i can do to push this even faster? also sound would be nice too :)
by welshy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:27 pm
omegacon
I started a post viewtopic.php?f=78&t=21458 to try and give some guidance of my YEARS of experience using emulators! As old arcade machines ran on individual board with LOTS of custom chips they are often HARD to emulate. MAME uses individual drivers (Often GAME SPECIFIC) for the hardware (Including CUSTOM CHIPS) the games originally ran on and emulation (I used the Atari VCS as an example) isn’t always just an issue of pure CPU performance (especially when it comes to emulating CUSTOM chips!). I have found ANY Atari game that used speech is poorly emulated, Paperboy, Star Wars, Gauntlet etc even though they run on completely different hardware. Looking at the board configurations, I think it’s the custom “pokey” chips (Which I’m guessing process the “speech”) that are the issue! Star Wars had FOUR of them!
I'm guessing it’s just a RPi CPU horsepower/MAME driver issue, SFA3 ran on Capcom’s CPSII hardware http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=795 which was a BIG upgrade to CPSI which Final Fight ran on! For instance, I am running my RPi at 900Mhz, Final Fight and Ghouls and Ghosts run PERFECTLY, however, SF2 and Strider are "glitchy" sound wise, BUT they ALL ran on the CPS1 board! Also, I have found Neo-Geo MVS games are pitiful on ADVMame, but GNGEO runs them ALMOST perfectly! (AdvMame 10-20 FPS, GNGEO 50-60 FPS!). Unfortunately with EMU’s there is NEVER a one stop, PERFECT solution! (I run a variety of different EMU’s depending on the system I’m trying to emulate, even on my PC!). I know there are some stand alone CPS11 emulators (PSP,CAANOO), although I haven’t tried to compile them as yet, they may be your best bet for SFA3!
One last thing, you say there is NO SOUND? Do you have sound in other games you are running? If so, it’s a MAME Driver issue!
by omegacon » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:48 pm
Wow great response! ill look into that thank you!!!!!!!!!

as for the sound (im pretty dumb) i thought i uncommented the hdmi_drive=2 in the config.txt when i didn't.... so sound works now!

Thanks for everything after im done with this algorithms test ill try other emulators ty! :)
by omegacon » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:42 am
Hey,
so i looked into it and found cps2emu_0.6-r1_armel.deb from https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id= ... se_id=4204

so so i tried to install it using
Code: Select all
dpkg -i --force-architecture /home/pi/DebMAME/cps2emu_0.6-r1_armel.deb

however when i tried this it says i don't have the dependencies even after i do

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install -f

kinda stuck what can i do???
by welshy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:31 am
Omegacon
I had a quick look into this, reading from the compiling help in the source code it looks like it has to be "cross compiled" in a Sandbox environment. I have not really looking into cross compiling yet (That's maybe my next learning curve as I would LOVE to get the Daphne Laserdisc EMU working on RPi! (There is a Linux version but for X86 and Pentium ONLY)). Linux/Debian hasn’t got a great abundance of emulators available (That’s why I haven’t migrated to Linux on my PC’s!). However, it seems one of the reasons they have upgraded the memory of the RPi is so it can run Android (Ice Cream Sandwich) effectively. This should help no end with emulation on RPi as there’s an abundance of EMU’s on that O/S! Maybe it would be advisable to start a NEW post, I’m SURE somebody with greater knowledge/experience of Linux than myself can assist you!
by welshy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:48 pm
omegacon
I found a compromise if you REALLY MUST play SFA3 until a satisfactory solution is found to run CPSII, the PLAYSTATION version works in PCSX Rearmed! But, you must use a REAL Bios, the inbuilt HLE version seems to hang on the memory card load. See my “Best Emulators for Pi” thread if you haven’t used it for some guidance on compiling. As usual for a 2D fighter, it suffers from the poor sprite abilities of the Playstation (The Saturn version is FAR superior (due to its hardware design)) so not all the animation frames from the original were included. But as frameskip is inevitable on the RPi for MOST emulators, this shouldn’t make much difference!
by omegacon » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:23 am
Started a new topic thnx for the tips!!

ill try to get that PS emulator working right after i get the Gneogeo emulator working :)

TY!!!!
by welshy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:40 am
omegacon
See viewtopic.php?f=78&t=22302 for GNGEO help!