Distorted audio on AdvanceMenu

5 posts
by levimadman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:37 pm
Recently, compiled and installed http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/menu-download.html
advanceMenu - latest version on the PI.

This frontEnd is great! nothing less.
different ways of showing the games - a configurable screen saver - and smooth performance,

the only problem is the sound, it has some nice features regarding sound, - mp3 file per game(on selection) a general background menu sound - the problem is, the sound is distorted, tried many configuring options, nothing truly works(the CPU isnt fully loaded).

anyone is interested in helping ?

thanks in advance. :D
by welshy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:18 pm
levimadman
I think you problem may be the way MAME/MESS/MENU work. When I set up Advmenu it was “grabbing” a file from somewhere (Either an mp3 on my memory stick, or a sample from ./advance folder, but it was so scratchy and garbled I couldn’t make out what it was! With HD/CD/Laserdisc images MAME uses .chd files where the standard is pretty much .bin and .cue or .m2v .ogg etc. you have to use the CHDMAN tools (Which come with the binaries) to convert them for use in MAME. They do work though, I converted my Killer Instinct CHD (Avdmame couldn’t see it) from another version of MAME I run (Mame 0.136) for Mame 0.106 and it worked! But, for anybody reading this DON’T waste your time trying it, it WON’T RUN acceptably on RPi, I was using it as a test! I did previously note this in a forum which may assist (.mng files are for movie clips) -
The .mp3 files are compressed with the LAME 3.91 utility with the command
line : lame -v -V 6 -k -h --resample 22.05 source.wav dest.mp3
The .mng files are compressed with the ZMNG utility with the command line :
zmng -s 4x4 source.mng dest.mng
The LAME utility can be download at http://lame.sourceforge.net
The ZMNG utility is included in the contrib directory of AdvanceMAME
Obviously you will have to use Command Prompt in windows for the above, (I’m not sure the tools are available in the Linux binaries, but I don’t use Linux for my general Emulator usage due to the proliferation of DOS/Windows EMU’s in contrast to Linux). However, I do believe if you use the “snapshot” and “record” functions in MAME/MESS they output in the correct format for use in MENU.

Hope that helps!
by levimadman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:13 pm
hmmm just compiled lame (3.99 not 3.91) on the pi and convery my mp3 to the new resampled one as you offered - still no change.. no im gonna try 3.91.

thanks for the answer - it a good lead! :D
by levimadman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:48 pm
unfortunately
line : lame -v -V 6 -k -h --resample 22.05 source.wav dest.mp3
this command in 3.91 didn't do the trick either..
btw -
the original file was an Mp3 file - if that matters..
any other ideas? :cry:
by welshy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:41 am
levimadman
I agree, it COULD be that as you used an mp3 to begin with it didn’t work correctly. Try --help on lame, it will give you the command line options available. It may give you the option to "uncompress" the mp3 first (I know CHDMAN does for .chd files!) or convert it to a wav, then resample it! Or, MENU 2.5.0 doesn’t accept the lame version you are using! Like I said in a previous thread, MAME can be problematic with regards to correct revisions of ARTWORK/ROMS/SAMPLES etc (That's why I have TWO older versions I run on PC and the latest one for testing). MAME 106 was released in May 2006 (The adv version in November 2009) so an OLDER version of Lame might be the answer!