Emulation for Beginners

6 posts
by KorbenDallas » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:48 pm
Hi. I'm one of the few people who have basic understandings of anything other than consoles and Microsoft Office usages of a PC. This venture with the PI into the world of Linux and related systems is entirely new and daunting at first.

I'll get to the point. I wish to get Kick Off 2 working on this as a little project. My short term intention is to get an Amiga emulator working and have a nostalgic return with a few old classics. Medium and long term intent is to get to grips with the more genuine educational opportunities there are with the purchase of my PI. I feel the little Kick Off 2 would be a simple process to just get going and on the way.

I have run aground downloading different software and watching youtube videos of different approaches. I cant get any of them working. I created this post to kindly ask if there are fool proof ways to get an AMiga and maybe SNES 'Dummy Guide' or advice from anyone on here please? I realise there are different threads on this forum and feel free to delete this one if necessary, I just thought I would try. Thanks for your time. A quick few things:

- Running Debian
- The software files always fail to open stating: Archive Format Cannot Be Recognised
- Happens with WinUAE and E-UAE

Apologies for being on the bottom rung of understanding and asking. Korben.
by petrockblog » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:01 pm
This forum is exactly for these kinds of questions!

You might want to take a look at the >>RetroPie script<<, which allows you install various emulators (also an Amiga emulator) automatically with a script.
You can easily take a look at what it takes to install this or that emulator by looking at the >>source code of the script<<. The installation of each emulator takes place in an individual function "install_NAMEOFSYSTEM".

This might be a good starting point for learning the things related to emulators for Linux, Linux commands, etc.
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com
by KorbenDallas » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:29 pm
Hi thanks.

I began to follow the steps as set out. Got to the second stage and it has been installing / updating for about fifteen twenty mins...

Have watched it go through it all and noticed just that the clock stopped ten minutes ago and at the end of a long chain of info it is all frozen at:

Removing 'diversion of / boot arml92_start.elf to user/sharerpikernelhack/arml92_start.elf by rpikernelhack

Left it for 20 mins and its crashed for sure... Reboot time
by KorbenDallas » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:44 pm
Oops... Lots of error messages whilst system loads... Enables me to login and go to the home screen with the icons. Mouse stays central wont move... Have tried turning it all off, re connecting the USB mouse etc... That's something that's visibly wrong but lots things registering as failed whilst loading,

Mine was from Maplin in Uk so will probably take the Sd card in see if they can restore it I don't have a card reader unfortunately...

I'll get there in the end :(
by SiriusHardware » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:28 am
KorbenDallas wrote:Oops... Lots of error messages whilst system loads... Enables me to login and go to the home screen with the icons. Mouse stays central wont move... Have tried turning it all off, re connecting the USB mouse etc... That's something that's visibly wrong but lots things registering as failed whilst loading,

Mine was from Maplin in Uk so will probably take the Sd card in see if they can restore it I don't have a card reader unfortunately...

I'll get there in the end :(

If you're in the UK, SD/SDHC compatible usb card reader/writers can be bought from 'Poundland' for, you've guessed it, a pound. Probably worth picking one up if you think that what you are doing may cause occasional corruption of the SD card contents. (Accidents happen).
by welshy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:31 am
Hi Korben
I started a post viewtopic.php?f=78&t=21458 to try and give some help/guidance of using emulators and my experiences so far on RPi. Without going into a detailed tirade into Retroarch here, just read what I said in the above post. Regarding Amiga emulation, I have got UAE up and running and although “glitchy” it seems to work OK. However, I have tried many game images from a windows UAE Amiga emulator I have and unfortunately, not all of them worked (But hey, that’s emulators for you!). There are some pointers on compiling but as you have requested Amiga Emulation help, here’s a few pointers to get it running -
Search and download the file
UAE-0.8.29
Uncompress it, Open a Terminal and CD into the folder. I compile ALL my programs as Root as some Require it, if not Add sudo as I don't recall it being needed for UAE)
Then
./configure --with-alsa
Make
Make install (Optional, I didn’t see the need as it WONT run from terminal, only X)
Make a Folder on your system (I called mine Amiga Disc Images)
Search and download files kick13.rom (Amiga bios) and any game images, if they are compressed files you will need to uncompress them! E.g. Speedball.zip to Speedball.adf (the Amiga Disc format) and put them in this folder. (This was probably your issue before, some EMU’s DONT like ZIP’s!)
Run the uae executable and select the ROM Tab, where it says Kickstart ROM file: click the change button, select the kick13.rom file and then open. Click the Input devices Tab and change Port1 to Cursor keys/Right Ctrl, then port 0 to Mouse. Now click the Floppies Tab, on DF0: click Insert, select the game image and click open, now Click the Reset button at the top and the image selected should load!