CyanogenMOD Ginger overclock and low resolution...


8 posts
by ValterFukuoka » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:09 pm
I've tested the "Gingerbread+EthernetManager.7z" image just to see it as a "proof of concept" and maybe show to others... I think the system is not useful but as a demonstration...

It is slow but became more responsive when I overclock to 900MHz...

My question is, is it possible to change the resolution of the Android (it may turn it more responsive [faster]) by changing something in the "config.txt"?
If so, what I need to change (put there)?

I tested some combination of hdmi modes and numbers with no success...

Thanks all.
User avatar
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:39 pm
Location: Japan
by ojdon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:10 pm
The reason why Android runs slow isn't due to a weak processor, but actually because there is no hardware acceleration which Android relies on heavily. We need Broadcom to hurry up and release drivers for the Pi's GPU to support hardware acceleration, I believe.
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:08 pm
by ValterFukuoka » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:33 am
ojdon wrote:The reason why Android runs slow isn't due to a weak processor, but actually because there is no hardware acceleration which Android relies on heavily. We need Broadcom to hurry up and release drivers for the Pi's GPU to support hardware acceleration, I believe.


Yes, I know that this image has not hardware acceleration.
I am a teacher and just want to have this current image as a "proof of concept" to show, so, I was thinking about reducing the resolution may render a better "demo"...

Anyway, I think we will have soon the version "4" running as beta, so...

Thanks.
User avatar
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:39 pm
Location: Japan
by aaa801 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:39 am
Hi, reducing the resolution will not improve the speed, ;(
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:06 pm
Location: Berkshire
by 6677 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:31 pm
aaa801 wrote:Hi, reducing the resolution will not improve the speed, ;(

then you know very little about the subject then.

Lowering the resolution means there are less pixels to draw. Less pixels to draw means less CPU time to draw them. Essentially speeds things up a little. Go play any modern game on your computer and notice how swapping what resolution you play it at can vastly alter the FPS.
Posts: 382
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:23 pm
by aaa801 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:08 pm
6677 wrote:
aaa801 wrote:Hi, reducing the resolution will not improve the speed, ;(

then you know very little about the subject then.

Lowering the resolution means there are less pixels to draw. Less pixels to draw means less CPU time to draw them. Essentially speeds things up a little. Go play any modern game on your computer and notice how swapping what resolution you play it at can vastly alter the FPS.


I know very little about the subject?, im sorry can you come and speak to me again when you have a working android port?

You are assuming the gpu acceleration is in use, it is not
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:06 pm
Location: Berkshire
by 6677 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:15 am
No its simple logic, of course its never going to be fast without GPU acceleration but generally drawing less pixels will take less time than drawing more pixels regardless of whether its drawn via CPU or GPU so yes dropping the resolution will speed things up a little.

Unless of course you mean in regards to helping it being usable because even at a low res it probably wont be usable.
Posts: 382
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:23 pm
by aaa801 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:48 pm
6677 wrote:No its simple logic, of course its never going to be fast without GPU acceleration but generally drawing less pixels will take less time than drawing more pixels regardless of whether its drawn via CPU or GPU so yes dropping the resolution will speed things up a little.

Unless of course you mean in regards to helping it being usable because even at a low res it probably wont be usable.

Yes thats what i was refering too, its still going to be snail slow
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:06 pm
Location: Berkshire