bootc kernel hangs with raspbian under load

6 posts
by plugwash » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:20 pm
When I try to use either my own bootc based kernel or the kernel binary bootc released with raspbian I get hangs under heavy load in X

Launching midori and browsing to the Pi forum hangs the system every time, the system is deeply hung enough that it doesn't even respond to pings.

I'm using start224.elf and vm.min_free_kbytes is set to 16384 .

The foundation kernel does not exibit this problem with the same setup

Has anyone else seen this problem?
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by bob_binz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:21 am
For info plugwash, I'm using bootc 3.2.21 with 224/32 start.elf and 8192 vm.min_free_kbytes as I post this from Midori. I am running via VNC though. CPU is flat out, but no freezes so far. I think I used an unmodded (by me) .config file to build the bootc kernel though.

I know this is the opposite answer to the question you asked, but thought I'd share anyway!

Is your Pi wired or wireless network? (dunno if this is relevant, but I've had no end of headaches with networking)
by coldguy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:27 pm
I'm experiencing the same problem. Midori loads fine and shows its startup page, but if I try to load Facebook or something, it locks up instantly. I'm not sure that the bootc kernel is the problem, though, because the first time it happened, I was trying to download the bootc kernel deb. So I'm pretty sure I was on the kernel that comes in the Raspbian image (I was using Hexxeh's image)

Box seems to run fine in text mode. Haven't gone into depth trying different software combinations, but it is very frustrating. I might be looking for a warranty replacement if I can't find a setup that's stable on my board.
by henriwagner » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:08 pm
I got the same problem.
Using wheezy distro + preinstalled midori system stops responding after surfing. At the moment cpu load is very hight (nearly 100 %). Nothing else is running... just writing this reply.
I haven't don eany modifications to the system.
by roadrunner » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:10 pm
mine is hanging in X on typical load, I'm using the RPI text mode and it runs fine, but no joy in X
RR
by WebdevNZ » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:23 pm
Unsure if mine fault is related but it seems like it could very well be.
Using SABnzbd+ downloads pulling around 1Mbs through ethernet will hang the pi which is then unresponsive to pings.
I've had my cpu sitting in the 90%s for a while doing other things that are not network related and had no problem.
I'm currently thinking this is a network through put type issue, thaughts?