Debian Mail Server with Raspberry Pi

5 posts
by websurfer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:50 pm
Hello.

I have my own domain, I would like ask if someone has tested set up a debian mail server with Raspberry Pi, I have very low email traffic volume, and will be very nice if I can run Postfix, dovecot, spamassassin, apache and squirrelmail.

Of course, attaching an HD via usb.

Do I'm asking too much or seems possible? If not, any similar machine or a low power machine able to run this?

Thanks
Josep
by ErvKosch » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:30 pm
You could use the Debian package search engine:
http://packages.debian.org/sea.....ds=postfix
by jamesh » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:52 am
I see no reason why that won't work, although I have not tested it.

USB HD's definitely work, and the rest is just software!
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September and October 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by leighbb » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:19 am
Quote from websurfer on September 19, 2011, 20:50

I have my own domain, I would like ask if someone has tested set up a debian mail server with Raspberry Pi, I have very low email traffic volume, and will be very nice if I can run Postfix, dovecot, spamassassin, apache and squirrelmail.

It will be a bit of a squeeze getting that lot in 256MB of RAM, I think. Of course, you can buy two and put the mail infrastructure on one and the web front end on the other :-)
by Feathers McGraw » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:45 am
I realise this is an old thread but I've managed to set up a mail server running Postfix, Dovecot and Apache+Squirrelmail on a Pi.

It runs just fine as a personal mail server, despite the low memory. I wrote a tutorial for anyone wanting to try the same.

I've also got Spamassassin working and I'm hoping to write a tutorial for that too, but I want to tinker with it for a while longer first.

Here's a link:

http://www.samhobbs.co.uk/raspberry-pi-email-server/

HTH,
Feathers